How do i verify whether the Hard disk is dynamic or basic?

sanny16

Journeyman
I just bought a new HP laptop, which has 3 partitions - C drive with 915 gb, D drive with recovery and E drive with HP tools. Now i know that now a days every pc maker are giving a dynamic hdd, but how do i check it or verify it?

Can i convert the dynamic hdd to basic without corrupting the os by using softwares like Easus partition manager?

I have Genuine Windows 8 os and warranty that i do not want to lose, but i cant save all my data in one drive because of risks that may occur in future.

To identify disk type:
> Right click on "Computer" > manage.
> Select "Disk management " from left pane.
> In the center pane where all HDDs are displayed, check the leftmost part of the drive visualization. it will be like Disk 0, basic, 500 GB, etc. Form here you can identify whether a disk is basic or dynamic.

To convert dusk form one type to another:
Conversion from Basic to Dynamic is easy but on doing the reverse with Windows' Disk Management will result in formatting of disk. Use EasUS Partition Manager/Master to convert from Dynamic to basic without any loss of data.

Not sure about the third part of question.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't know what type of recovery system HP latest model uses so it depends.some laptops recovery system works with new partitions but some don't & you have to keep original/factory state partitions(usually C,D & E).if you are open to experimentation & have a spare hdd then use a disk imaging software like paragon backup free,macrium reflect free or easeus todao backup free to backup & save your entire current hdd image to another disk(currently since only windows 8 is installed & assuming no other data image size should be less than 50gb) & can try experimenting with partitions.you can also experiment with activating your windows 8 without using recovery partition using oem activation method but will need a downloaded windows 8 iso to use with your oem activation.

OP
sanny16

sanny16

Journeyman
I just want to partition C drive (windows 8.1) because its the only drive where i can storage data and install programs and its the biggest partition with 915 gb capacity. I won't touch other drives that is RECOVERY and HP TOOLS drive. My disk is a basic one and its a good idea to create atleast the RECOVERY drive's backup image. Thnx all.

I just want to partition C drive (windows 8.1) because its the only drive where i can storage data and install programs and its the biggest partition with 915 gb capacity. I won't touch other drives that is RECOVERY and HP TOOLS drive. My disk is a basic one and its a good idea to create atleast the RECOVERY drive's backup image. Thnx all.

You can partition it from the Windows Disk Management itself or use EasUS Partition Manager/master.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
then i strongly suggest testing recovery first before start using laptop drive for storage.some laptops recovery procedure deletes any new partitions made & restores system to exactly as it was in factory state with same no. of partitions.if that's the case with HP then no point making new partition unless you want to save all your data from the new partition every time you want to use HP recovery.another thing to consider is that some laptops recovery procedure fails if there is a change in original no. of partitions.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
.some laptops recovery procedure deletes any new partitions made & restores system to exactly as it was in factory state with same no. of partitions.if that's the case with HP then no point making new partition unless you want to save all your data from the new partition every time you want to use HP recovery.

Really? In which laptop did you see that? Hearing it for the first time.

another thing to consider is that some laptops recovery procedure fails if there is a change in original no. of partitions.

Not true at all. I can confirm this at least for Vaio, Lenovo, HP.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
not sure about recent models but older lenovo models(early 2010) with 1-button recovery have this system where if you change the no. of partitions it will fail & if you use DVDs burned using lenovo built-in recovery software & use them to restore system it will delete any new partitions & restores system exactly as it was in factory state with same no. & size of partitions.

Top Bottom