How CRYSIS compares with COD4 !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
I have played CRYSIS and COD4 quite a few times and both are really fantastic shooters of their own kind. While COD4 is multiplatform, CRYSIS is PC xclusive till now, and those who who have played both know for sure how much CRYSIS can kick ur PC's a$$ even if your PC has a very high-end configuration. On the other hand, COD4 is pretty scalable and can play well even on machines sporting age old 6600s and 6800s... :)

Till now, I have read many reviews about both these games and was a little disappointed because many reviews on the net touted CRYSIS as nothing new but only a visual makeover of FAR CRY and sports nothing new in terms of FPS gameplay and all that stuff. Many others touted the game as severely unoptimized and needs a PC of the future (imagine CRYSIS at 1600 res and higher, at Very High quality and playing at no less than 60 fps average..). While the latter is true to some extent, we can't deny that we knew beforehand that this CRYSIS is a true definition of what a next-gen game should be. :)

I found a video review on the net, in which the reviewer compared COD4 and CRYSIS and have given really some great points on both games. While I agree on the fact that COD4 is really a great game, I always had the opinion that CRYSIS is definitely better not because of its graphics but because of everything that the game is composed of. This comparative review actually speaks my mind and the reviewer has shown clearly how CRYSIS brought some new elements into the FPS genre. :)

Take a look at the video, its small and all of you will definitely enjoy how the reviewer has elaborated on specific points of difference. One thing I can assure you is that its unbiased, and the points are based on facts presented.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Offtopic-
How much shader domain overclocking have you done on your 8800GT.Please confirm.And U r not having problems with 8800GT and TPQ 850 r u?

OP
rockthegod

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
I am using the factory overclocked version of eVGAs normal 8800 GT, its called the 8800 GT superclocked edition. So, I haven't played with the graphics BIOS settings yet. No, TPQ is doin fine till now though I experienced some problems with stability after playing CRYSIS for more than an hour... though I have investigated the fact, I think it might not be due to the PSU, but due to my motherboard and overclocking the processor. I haven't found the right solution yet for this. :( Do you have any suggestions or your own personal experience ?

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Older models of TPQ 850 had severe problems with G92 all chips.But this has been corrected in the newer models.They weren't able to properly communicate with the VGA bios for power requirement of the VGA.Do give your 3DMark06 score it should be around 17k with that quad core.
The ASUS striker extreme motherboards is a hybrid mobo of the nforce 590 and 650 SPP i guess.But that's not a downside infact the performance is better than the normal 680i chipset since the 680i uses the same SPP as the 650i.
With that setup i certainly recommend a CPU cooler and with better ventilation for your cards.U might as well manually mount a small FAN on your chipset heatsink since asus utilizes cool and quiet Heat pipe design.
In india it might be hard getting a good CPU cooler and water coolers aren't really available..VGA coolers are obsolete.I recommend Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme as i myself have on and it hasn't given me any problems.Also you can look for coolermaster which are also easily available in Delhi and Mumbai.
I also recommend you to update your mobo's bios as it would give better stability.
Whenever a new product comes out it has stability issues because of bios inferiority,case with most mid to high mobos.
I hope you didn't pick up and old stock of that mobo because if you did it might have the old bios.
Remember to disable all overclocking and reset to defaults when flashing the bios.

OP
rockthegod

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Thanx for your valuable suggestions. :) No, I am using the stock BIOS and haven't updated yet but I had also given a thought about using extra CPU coolers but since I had read that people achieved 3.6 GHz of Q6600 with the stock cooler but with better case cooling fans, I decided to drop the idea. I am actually planning to trade out my motherboard for the newer nforce 780i based evga motherboard (My 30 days Newegg.com return warranty is still available to me) ... :)

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I forgot to tell you that you should download ntune and set your cards at 85% or more fan duty cycle as these cards run pretty hot on load(90C).This is because the fan always runs at 29% fan duty cycle...even at load.
Rivatuner has problems setting the fan speed for both cards(SLI) with newer drivers and it does have problem even when overclocking the cards in SLI with newer drivers.
So use ntune.U can download ntune 6.0 beta from guru3d but i suggest u download it off nvidia as they might have a more stable older version.
Hope this will solve the instability which occurs after playing crysis for more than an hour.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
I have played both, but i definetly prefer COD4. Then again I am a fan of the COD series. The presentation, gameplay and pace of COD4 are unmatchable.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I too have played both but haven't completed crysis fully so won't be making much comments on it.The main reason why I left Crysis half was because it was not getting too interesting in terms of gameplay.For some reason COD4 did the opposite & clicked highly in terms of immersive gameplay.Once I started the game would not wait till I completed it.The game is completely cinematic & has a strong storyline which is rare in today's games.The missions are very diverse even though the only thing you do is shoot shoot shoot & cover cover cover but it's still fun & much more intensive compared to Crysis.Was very impressed towards the climax of the game which was one of the most brilliant endings I have seen.Plus the Ghillie mission which was a treat to play.Overall a great experience.

In terms of Graphics Crysis looks extremely beautiful & vivid but COD4 does not lack it but falls just one step behind.But I'd still vouch for COD4.:)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@Sunny1211993
how much do the card cost u?

I liked Crysis than COD4. I can play COD4 @ max @ 1280*960 even on ma 7600GT. Its really scalable. Surelly it gives an immersive fight, but i think COD4 lacks replayability
Its too boring at second try. But Crysis is more indulging @ higher difficulty levels. Its no more a run and shoot game. Uve to do many other stuffs nd i think its kinda more lifelike.

In COD4, we have to play exactly the way the developers want us to play.No flexibility. But in Crysis...i think its more like a free form fighting. We can decide how to play. We can either assault, be a sniper, or pass un-noticed in cloak mode. U can even pick objects nd throw them in strength more for quick silent kills.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Why isn't nobody comparing the multiplayer/online play of these two beauties?

Crysis > Literally has no real multiplayer to speak off.

CoD4 > Keep talking, I'm listening.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
crysis has very bad edge aliases just like F.E.A.R. Anti-aliasing is a must for good image quality. I won't be satisfied playing without AA. I played the demo half-way b4 realising that. I also realised that finally one game has come out my comp cannot handle.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@Harvik:Good screenshot mate.I knew there was major difference in those pre-relase demo videos & it's final product.There is one certain thing which I found missing & which was the very thing I was looking forward to was interactive environment.The demo showed the person moving towards the leaf & when he hit the leaf it actually swayed to his movement.This was something which I was looking forward to watching but sigh nothing like that happened.All I could see was trees could be shot & they would collapse.:(

T

The Conqueror

Crysis DEMO on my PC....
Graphics Card : ASUS EN 8600 GT
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.6fcf3d9c72.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@allwyndlima
the leaf does swing when we touches them....see closely. Those big banana leaf like thing moves, but in somewhat an erratic way.
If it doesn't work for u, check if uve set physics to high.

@Harry Potter
he he uve ended up all ur ammo before the fight have even started.:D

T

The Conqueror

yes the ammo finished in the previous fight... :D
now i will overclock it such that i can run crysis @ highest settings :D

I can run it @ 1024*960 at everything set to high
and if i overclock some it will be even more good :D
If it runs fine, i will purchase that game :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom