How can i join multiple HDD to pc if sata slots or power slots are full?

coldhart

Journeyman
as title says, problem is how can i join multiple hdd (just for data dumping purpose) to the pc if sata slots or power slots are full?

System
Core i7 950
Gskill 6GB ram
Corsair HX650 PSU(MOdular PSU)
Sapphire Radeaon HD 5870 1GB
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0) Mobo
HDD - 1TB X 2 Seagate Barracuda, 2TB X 1 Seagate Barracuda Green 6GBPS

OS - Win 7 Ultimate SP1 X64

Im currently thinking about buying 2 2TB wd red drive but waiting right now since they will be available on 3rd or 4th week of the august.
my all power sockets of Corsair HX 650 are used up right now except for 1 PCI-e power socket(Since i only have 1 GPU)
how can i join 2 new HDD which i going to buy on the end of august

i heard that nasboxes can be used to connect multiple hdd to the computer
but i don't know much about NAS,SAS,DAS(complete rookie in that field) but i heard that they keeps hdd running to the fullest 24*7 since they connect hdd through raid which wears down the hdd very much which reduces their life(Correct me if im wrong) so is there any other way to join HDD to the PC without attaching them through the raid?

Note
Huge speed is not the priority just reliability.

Data
1. Video Tutorials
2. Movies
3. Anime
4. PO*n

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
That's because some drives are not meant to be used to 24*7 usage, especially write. WD has RED which I am almost done testing, but honestly its only the read access time that that's standing out. Even in the ambient temperature of 29, the drive on write load doesn't cross 36 in a closed pc case and stays 32 in idle. Rest of it are features, especially TLER that's found in Enterprise storage drive. Basically that's helps in error correction and its independent of error correction in the NAS drive itself, irrespective if its the NAS is software RAID/error correction based (mostly personal ones are and maybe some SOHO) or hardware controlled by the controller itself (which ends up costing more).

You can always get an SAS RAID controller. But again, they cost good money and I dont think you get them here. LSI is on a roll of making seriously good RAID cards but they cost a bomb.

OP
C

coldhart

Journeyman
thanks for reply mate but i don't want to join hdd to the pc through any kind of raid(or such technology which keeps hdd running to the fullest for 24*7) just need a reliable interface which atleast have hdd socket for atleast 4 hdd but not raid.

thyultimate

Broken In
thanks for reply mate but i don't want to join hdd to the pc through any kind of raid(or such technology which keeps hdd running to the fullest for 24*7) just need a reliable interface which atleast have hdd socket for atleast 4 hdd but not raid.

Erm, I ran Raid0 on my 500GB hdd's for 4 years. They did not run 24x7. Where did you hear that? I do not know if this is true for external storage though.

OP
C

coldhart

Journeyman
i know that if we shutdown the pc the raid which attached to the system also gets shutdown im talking about when hdds are not accessing by system for particular task like copy or write hdd's run on low power with lower spindle speed but in raid they always ran to the fullest whenever system is running (thats what i read) becoz of which hdds doesn't live long in raid (Correct me if im wrong) i wrote 24*7 becoz several time i did not turn off the system for several days or week

thyultimate

Broken In
What I mean is, I had 2x 500GB Hard disk's in RAID0. I had another 500GB spare, and a SSD for booting OS. When nothing was being read or written to the RAID (the system using other hdd's), the RAID powered down the HDD's no issues.

RAID0 has a high risk of failing because of the nature of the striped config, which dictates that one failing drive will mean data loss across all drives. This is simply not the case with all RAID types. Check this out.

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Bottom