Host Your Blog/Website From Your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
I came across this 2-3 MB vista compatible freeware softie PurpleNova ! Apparently you can now host a website/blog, from home !

Ya, one could always do so earlier too, but for that you needed to get a static IP address and host a website, or subscribe to a Dynamic DNS service if you had real dynamic IP. Unlike file-sharing in P2P networks, this one claims that it dznt need any special software, and looks more secure, as all content is filtered. On the flip side, Purplenova does not seem to provide a “community” portal like P2P offerings usually do. One drawback of self-hosting, which imdtly came to my mind is the obvious fact that the computer needs to be ON all the time.

Have a look at www.purplenova.com

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Not BAD... if you have a Decent Static IP based Connection... TATA Broad Band is known to give great uploading speed... and their Post paid plans comes with Static IP..

So here is one Thought from me...

Start the Web Site from your Home.. I am not sure about th software as not yet tested it...

how ever here is the setup one would need...

• TATA Indicom BoardBand Connection
    Monthly Rs. 1060/- 5 GB DATA Limit with Speed of upto 2 mbps...
  • Low Budget Web Server
    A PC Under Rs. 20k would do... *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=66140
  • One DNS Manager Like EveryDNS
  • A Domain Name around Rs. 450/- per year

hmm.. not a BAD deal.. :p

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Yeah we need 99.99999 % uptime, which is not possible in India for a common person.

Anyway thanks for the post.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Gigacore said:
Yeah we need 99.99999 % uptime, which is not possible in India for a common person.

Anyway thanks for the post.

Why not Santosh ??? with a Better UPS we too can run 24x7... :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
this wont work in india simply because all the ISPs here have the 12 hr session time out ... yes even tata has it .... sify has it and tata also has it ... which means u need to log out and login again even if a torrent is downloading in the background and even if u have set a page n ur browser to reload every minute

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Nah, iMav atleast I never saw it.

I was having a TATA broadband that never required a login
Now, I am having a Reliance broadband and it does require a login however there is no time constraint to it.

PS: Both connections were postpaid

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ what sh!t .... i have to login after every 12 hours ... else the seesion crashes .... same was the case with sify i asked tata they said our systems are made that way :x

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Doesn't BSNL reconnect every 24 hours automatically? I thought mine did... Dynamic IP services need to refresh.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
@iMav

I never required to login to my TATA Broadband. BTW, do u have a prepaid connection. Further, there are two distributions of Tata Broadband. One is simply TATA broadband and the other TATA broadband VSNL.

@Qwerty,
My reliance broadband is having a dynamic ip. I never had to refresh it even though I have remained connected for 3-4 days continuously.

@iMav
What do you do to reconnect in your absence and how do you trigger it.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
So you've been using the same IP for 3 days across? I am not saying YOU have to refresh, it automatically does.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Choto Cheeta said:
Mehul, TATA really gives great uploading speeds and all Post paid plans comes with free Static IP... :D
tata sux big time.
Hathway sucks less. I've hardly had any complaints about them except that I have to use my own DNS server. Downtimes are fixed up quite fast.
From what I have heard about tata, I am much better off staying away from it.
I have no disconnection or any such problem. Hathway gives me a free static IP, too.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Yes MTNL/BSNL has a time period for which lease is obtained after which it disconnects and reconnects automatically...You can change it from the router though...its 8 hrs by default for MTNL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom