horizontal line artifacts and low resolution screen on POST/BIOS Splash screen

Shade97

Right off the assembly line
my problem basically was after PC is shut down(as in the main power switch turned off) for a long time(always the next morning,because it stays off for 7-8 hours while i sleep )

it used to,and still does some times

the following shows how the problem has got progressively worse to its current state

1)The problem originally
show artifact-y horizontal multi colored lines on POST/BIOS-splash screen along with a low res screen(as in when your graphics card doesn't have drivers installed,1024x768 the resolution is i assume)

it used to boot into windows,again with the shtty res,checking in speccy or the nvidia control center showed no Nvidia gpu was plugged in(???)

anyhow the solution to this problem was shutting it down and starting it again or pressing restart button on chassis after this happens
PC works 100% fine and normal,and i can play games,browse the web etc without any issues

2)Now it got a bit worse
this is when it got worse,same symptoms except it would never show any display(monitor says no signal) for the most part(when it did,same as 1) ) restarting again "fixed" the problem.

as in 1) after the artifacts go away,everything is normal

3) this is what i currently face,this issue happens if PC is completely powered off i.e mains switch is turned off

there is no display at all,the motherboard's CPU power led stays bright red,and there is no power provided to kb and mouse(which usually light up),and none of the Gamer-y lights of the mobo light up

all fans(CPU and Chassis) work

now the power and restart button on the chassis do nothing,So i have to turn off mains power to shut it off

the """"solution"""" to this issue is keep on turning the mains off and on/"pulling the plug" so to speak,and also turning off the little switch on the back of PSU on and off

This is an unreliable fix and takes anywhere between 20 mins and 2 hours to boot normally,along with many scared prayers

here the display,whenever it appears is same glitchy as before but with some low res 4:3 resolution(800x600 speccy says,you can see the black bars)

i noticed that if i keep mains power on for like half an hour,the PC starts up normally(as in the power and reset buttons work now,but glitchy lines on POST presist until 2-3 restarts)

the temporary """"solution"""" i have found is to keep mains power running 24 x 7,even if the pc is shut off.

i theorize there is some issue with the capacitors some where,not delivering enough power to the components involved

its either the PSU or the Mobo,don't know which.

the cause of all this is random powercuts and the accompanying surges or whatever.

after i do its "Powering Up Rituals" as before though,the PC works completely normal,.

My specs :-
i5 4690k,non-overclocked
8GB dual channel corsair vengeance DDR3 ram
Asus Z97 PRO GAMER Motherboard
MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4GB graphics card
Seasonic M12II 620w Power Supply
Plextor M5 128GB SSD as Boot drive and 2 other hard drives

I've tries ressetting CMOS,trying to turn it on without GPU,reseating RAM sticks,trying to use iGPU instead of graphics card

i have no spare components for now,so for further testing i may have to buy a new PSU

Flash

Lost in speed
I guess, your GPU is dying.
Have you removed the GPU, and try working the system with Integrated graphics?

If it didn't show any artifacts, then for sure you GPU is dead/in the process of dying.
Try using the GPU in other system, and check for the final confirmation.

When you've bought it?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
put some bags / pouches ( approx 100 - 200 gms at least ) of silica gel inside of your cabinet and see if it fixes the isses.

Top Bottom