High performance laptop required for B.Arch Student!!(65k)

rahulrai797

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,

First of all I would like to mention here that I was a regular on chip and when later on it was merged with Thinkdigit my id got lost somewhere in the transition. So that is why I had to create this new id. Anyways Following is the questionnaire. Please help me choose the best possible laptop

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

Rs. 65000 max

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:Dell, HP
b. Dislike: Not sure

My research says:
lenovo Y500
Samsung NP550P5C-S05IN

None of the Dells has a Nvidia 650m or an equivalent graphic card

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Quiet extensive I guess:
Gaming, watching movies
Softwares like: REVITT, LUMEN, 3-D MAK, AUTOCAD, SKETCHUP, PHOTOSHOP/ILLUSTRATOR, RHINO

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

Not Sure

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

Yes. Actually I am looking for a high end laptop for my brother who is in B.Arch 2nd year. My main concern is that it should be capable enough to handle all these softwares, rendering should be fast, can last for next 4 years, looks are secondary and if possible would like a brand which offers warranty extension(including against physical damage) - fpr which i am ok with paying extra.

So please help me choose the best possible laptop. Thanks in advance.

$hadow

Geek in making
if he will be working in the outdoors go for sammy so5in since it has got matte screen or else lenovo y500 scores over sammy every time.
check out both of these but I would personally say go with y500

OP
R

rahulrai797

thanks for your reply

but do you have any idea about the kind of warranty they provide. Onsite or offsite and whether it includes physical damage or not and if we can extend warranty

KyleSforza

Banned
if he will be working in the outdoors go for sammy so5in since it has got matte screen or else lenovo y500 scores over sammy every time.
check out both of these but I would personally say go with y500

Proof?

and I'd recommend you S05 because you're a student, it looks awesome and leaves a great impression even on Macbook pro owners in my class and its extremely fast and rendering and never hangs or anything, as I'm into graphic designing myself. ;)

Y500 is strictly for gamers who stay at home and play games, as it can't really be considered portable due to its size and battery life (maximum 3 hours) compared to S05's 7 hours on average, its really fun seeing EVERYONE in my class working with their fatass laptops(macbooks are a exception :p ) plugged in while I work wireless on this sexy beast! :D

And oh
3630QM > 3632QM

$hadow

Geek in making
Proof?

and I'd recommend you S05 because you're a student, it looks awesome and leaves a great impression even on Macbook pro owners in my class and its extremely fast and rendering and never hangs or anything, as I'm into graphic designing myself. ;)

Y500 is strictly for gamers who stay at home and play games, as it can't really be considered portable due to its size and battery life (maximum 3 hours) compared to S05's 7 hours on average, its really fun seeing EVERYONE in my class working with their fatass laptops(macbooks are a exception :p ) plugged in while I work wireless on this sexy beast! :D

And oh
3630QM > 3632QM

First of all I ask him to get so5in secondly y500 is my personal preference
and thirdly here are some specs differences
1. Full hd display over 900p
2. backlit keyboard over a regular one
3. ultrabay = future proof
4. I am a cs student and I do not find it too heavy to carry around and doing any graphic intensive task is a breeze on y500.
5. 16gb ram support
6. always on usb
7. And lastly he will game on his machine no matter what ever he do and if he got stuck with memory add another hard drive. I am not comparing him with CS or IT students but being a college student he will game on it though in next 2 years or so 650m will come in just average class card and adding another card will make it life a bit more longer. it is nice that you are getting 7hrs back up but I do not need so long back up so I am happy with 3hr backup.
And again it is upto him with which he goes I have suggested him both my personal and his needed preference.

S05 has the advantage of having Blu-ray reader......... As far as weight & size of laptop is concerned, you will carry your laptop in a bag, so 0.3kg difference is not much.
Y500 is bigger than S05IN but you get a beautiful red backlit keyboard & 1080p display.
Also S05 has matte display vs glossy display in Y500... Matte display gives better outdoor(sunny day) visibility than glossy display. But I use my laptop indoors.

Performance difference between the two laptops is not noticable.

Finally Y500 has 2 yrs warranty + ADP, onsite warranty for 1st year & offsite in 2nd year. Moreover Lenovo's service is better than Samsung's. Samsung's service is not bad but its slow(My friend's ,S03 ,RAM got corrupted within warranty period & Samsung guys took a month to replace the RAM)

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah matt display looks dull against a glossy display ...but non reflective screens are very useful while working or gaming/movies....it just does not reflect anything at all...glossy screen even reflects a night lamp behind or tubelight, sun anything that shines will take the screen space

And S05 is really sleek for its hardware inside...misses on backlit keyboard

OP
R

rahulrai797

Thanks everyone for that small discussion. I guess I know pretty much all the aspects of both the laptops now. I just need to to check both of them personally. Just a couple of more quesn:

@anupam_pb: I guess that 2year warranty thing is exclusively on flipkart

and do I have any other choice apart from these 2 laptops?

KyleSforza

Banned
First of all I ask him to get so5in secondly y500 is my personal preference
and thirdly here are some specs differences
1. Full hd display over 900p
2. backlit keyboard over a regular one
3. ultrabay = future proof
4. I am a cs student and I do not find it too heavy to carry around and doing any graphic intensive task is a breeze on y500.
5. 16gb ram support
6. always on usb
7. And lastly he will game on his machine no matter what ever he do and if he got stuck with memory add another hard drive. I am not comparing him with CS or IT students but being a college student he will game on it though in next 2 years or so 650m will come in just average class card and adding another card will make it life a bit more longer. it is nice that you are getting 7hrs back up but I do not need so long back up so I am happy with 3hr backup.
And again it is upto him with which he goes I have suggested him both my personal and his needed preference.

I asked for performance proof, I know all those things too. :p

P.S. Series 5 supports 16GB RAM too.
Has always on USB too (the 1st USB 3.0 port is the one) , actually it has 4 USB ports compared to 3 on Y500.
Its not about the weight , but about the dimensions, Y500 looks bulky, while Series 5 actually looks professional, would you ever take a laptop looking like Y500 to a business meet? Nope.
Backlit keyboard is amazing! I agree, but not really essential, as the light coming from screen is enough.. oh wait you guys play on lower brightness levels? :p

Ultrabay and FHD is a major point none the less. :) - And those actually matter to gamers only.

I use my laptop for graphic designing, and the colors are brilliant! As Sujoy said, glossy displays reflect too much (I have used 720p Glossy screens before) , you can even see your reflection in them and working on something like a logo, or adding tiny little details to your project can be a hard task.

And did Samsung stop giving that extended warranty offer?

Last edited:

KyleSforza

Banned
Compare color reproduction b/w them, Matte display got a coating which is responsible for that. FYI S05(whole freaking S0#) series got display panel with poor contrast ratio.
Matte is actually better for most at this price range.
As it comes really handy when using it outside or in good lighting conditions.

Poor contrast / lower resolution / whatever else you want? That's why there's a HDMI port :p Connecting it to a HD LED at your home isn't that hard.

pratyush997

Inactive
Matte is actually better for most at this price range.
As it comes really handy when using it outside or in good lighting conditions.

Poor contrast / lower resolution / whatever else you want? That's why there's a HDMI port :p Connecting it to a HD LED at your home isn't that hard.
LOL
Even some mobile device have that. :lol:
That doesn't mean the device should ship with some el-cheapo LCD panel

KyleSforza

Banned
You can't really compare mobile display with laptop displays right? :3

Samsung basically made an active laptop, where as Lenovo created sort of a desktop as they tried hard to make a powerful gaming machine to compete with the likes of Asus ROG series, which they failed hard at due to high temps. :p

pratyush997

Inactive
You can't really compare mobile display with laptop displays right? :3

Samsung basically made an active laptop, where as Lenovo created sort of a desktop as they tried hard to make a powerful gaming machine to compete with the likes of Asus ROG series, which they failed hard at due to high temps. :p

The mobile one was example lol.

Top Bottom