Help with GRUB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Carvar

Broken In
I had installed Ubuntu 8.04 and then installed XP so XP's bootloader replaced Ubuntu's and Ubuntu wasnt showing up on the list. I got GRUB up and working again but now XP is not shown as a boot option and Ubuntu 8.04 directly starts...please help me get XP and Ubuntu working together.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Append these lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst :

Code:
# (1) Windows
title Microsoft Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
Assuming your Windows exists on the first partition.

Rahim

Married!
^Calm Down. You just have to create some entries in /boot/grub/menu.lst file for Win XP.
1. Open a Terminal and enter sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and enter your password when prompted.
2. Navigate below and enter this as XP entry
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
chainloader +1
I hope you installed XP in the 1st partition. You wanna post /boot/grub/menu.lst file's contents here using the command in step 1.

EDIT: Both the entries mentioned by Querty and me will work.

Rahim

Married!
Open a terminal in Ubuntu and enter sudo fdisk -l and it will show ntfs and ext3 partitions and you can make out. the numbering in Grub starts with 0 and not 1. So 1st partition will be (hd0,0) and 2nd partition will be (hd0,1) and so on.
You tried the above steps yet?

OP
J

Jack Carvar

Broken In
ya..but when I restarted with (hd0.1).....it showed XP as an option but when I tried to select it, gave me an error saying "Unexecutable File Format" or sumthing so back on Ubuntu trying to make this work.

Rahim

Married!
I think you have installed XP on the 2nd partition and this will create a problem as it is too moody.Try (hd0,0) It can be done with some masking commands. But if there is no trouble you might start afresh. Install XP and then Ubuntu. Make sure XP is installed in the 1st partition. I know it is not the solution you are looking for but following this practice will save you from buying Crocin!!

OP
J

Jack Carvar

Broken In
THANKS! THANKS A LOOOOT!! I worked. (hd0,2) as (hd0,0) is Ubuntu an (hd0,1) is Swap lolz.

Why isnt there a reputation system on this forum !! i would have repped you :D. THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

Rahim

Married!
^No reputation system here as most of us believe in equality :)
Just wait till you get help from big fish like NucleusKore, praka123(banned permanently), T159 etc.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
We are all equal, no fish here

*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/38large.png

Good going rahimveron et al

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Jack Carvar, please refer this article, it pays to understand the GRUB bootloader

*www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

Rahim

Married!
@Jack: So he must have brainwashed you to watch content-rich Korean Movies just like me :)) and good to be back here NucleusKore and as for fish, i just ate fish for dinner...burp.....

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
So you are still hanging onto Ubuntu :p
Well then it will be nice to read a beginner book on Linux, you are smart enough to download that stuff.

GRUB is really good and naming scheme is a bit confusing at first but once you get hang of it, you can boot many OS thru it.

OP
J

Jack Carvar

Broken In
Yup....the best bootloader I have come across in my 13yrs of life :D. Vista's bootloader is also good. XP has the worst. Dosent recongnize other OSes and takes over their bootloader :|.

vamsi360

Always confused
@querty mechanic

did you forget the programming contests thread.
Please update it
Which question are you now answering in project euler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom