Help strange problem.

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
i am encountering a strange problem. whenever i switch on the power switch on the ac wall socket the computer starts booting even b4 using the power switch on computer cabinet. Wen i shut down windows xp it shuts in a normal way and there is no power.
Please give some idea as to where or what is wrong. I want to switch on my PC using only the power switch on cabinet and not the Ac wall socket.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

there is one more problem added to this.
the bios screen takes a lot of time to detect hdd and optical drive and everytime the bios setting gets changed. the date and times reset back to some 2005. i understand that this is a dead CMOS battery kind of problem. I replaced the battery with a new one but the same problem remains.
pls try n give a solution.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Indeed, the problem of the BIOS resetting itself to defaults is most often due to a dead battery. However, there are occasionally cases where a defective BIOS does that even with a good battery.

This is probably linked to the power-on problem too. Normally, spontaneous power on is due to a setting in the BIOS when it's set to turn on when power goes off and then comes back on. The location of the setting in the BIOS menu and the exact wording differs with different motherboards. It's usually under Power Management or ACPI, and is usually called "Restore on AC/Power Loss" or something similar.

The BIOS may need to be flashed. But there's one thing you can try first. If you've been going through a rainy season for some time, accumulated moisture can cause strange symptoms. Either expose the motherboard to direct sunlight for some hours, or blow on it with a hair dryer, especially on and near the BIOS chip. (Be careful not to overheat anything). Let things cool down and then see if things are different.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Did you try my suggestion of drying the motherboard? This is not some half-baked guesswork. It has a solid basis in theory and I've used that technique successfully a number of times with other people's computers.

There's no guarantee that it will solve your problem as it may not be caused by moisture, but there's no harm in trying.

OP
sysfilez

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
sure pimpom i will definitely give it a try this day even thou moisture is not the problem IMO but then just as u said no harm in trying.

Neuron

Electronic.
^ did you replace the CMOS battery.If haven't replace the battery and redo what pauldmps said(Change your BIOS settings:"After power failure" from "Power on" to "stay off").

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Is this happening on a new build, or it started to happen on a system that was powering up normal before..?

Chris222

Right off the assembly line
the problem is due to defective battery..when your system restarts you can see that the date and time settings move to default and everytime you peg in on bios you boot priority changes..change the boot priority to your hardware which would have acquired your floppy or dvd drive by default. change the power mode option like you tried earlier and try changing battery..probably it should work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom