Help : Powerpoint Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakkadbaba

Broken In
Please guide on the following aspects:-
1. What does 'embedding' mean, and how to embed a wav file in powerpoint show?
2. Can a wav file be embedded without the 'sound' icon?
3. How to delete/remove a pre-embedded wav or any other file from a pps?
4. If a pps can be opened in 'read only' mode, is there any method of saving some 'elements' of this secured file?
5. How can a pps be saved in pdf form?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
fakkadbaba

fakkadbaba

Broken In
I thought the problem was not a difficult one and with so many bright sparks out here in the Forum, I would surely find an answer to the problem. However, I seem to be on the path to be proved wrong. Please suggest an answer. Thanks

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Okay, Im testing out my answers with ppt now, ill post soon.

Okay, embed means THIS. Basically, you make any item(say image, font, sound, video) a part of your presentation. Thats called embedding. And whatever file you embed, its saved WITHIN your presentation ppt file. Note that in office 2007 theres a powerpoint option tha says "link sound if more than 100 kb" so you need to uncheck it if you need to save the sound within the ppt file.

For a wav file, go to insert menu, then something like sounds and video clips, then sound from file. Im not sure how it is in other versions of office, but its something similar, i remember using them. Im using 2007 right now, and in there, its pretty easily found on the ribbon. You can use the timings/custom animation box to specify when the sound starts, on mouse click etc.

Now this sound icon, you can always drag it off the screen in design mode. And you have an option to hide it during the presentation mode in timings/custom animation box, i believe. Its called "Hide During Show" or something similar.

For deleting, click the sound icon, or any other file's icon in the design mode, and press delete key.

Well, a pps is just a renamed ppt. nothing more. Just rename it to .ppt and you're done. Open the ppt and right click on this element and save as picture. now this only works for pictures. so for others? easy. File->save as-> web page. Then go to the directory with the name of the web page and you'll find all your resources there... pics, vids, sounds et al.

office cant save natively to pdf. you need free pdf printers like cutepdf or pdf995 or such. then install them, you need postscript too, then just go to file->print, select the printer you installed, and print it. thats all folksie. i just tested all these stuff, so if youve got a problem, ill try to solve it for ya.

Last edited:
OP
fakkadbaba

fakkadbaba

Broken In
Dear Dheeraj,
Thanks. I succeeded in doing what you have told. Now till me this - after I converted a pps to ppt and the saved it as a web page, I got a folder with all the elements. In this folder, I deleted the wav file. Now how do I get back the original ppt presentation, less the wav file from this point onwards? Can we embed mp3 in ppt? if not, then how to convert it to wav?

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
huh? for deleting a sound in the presentation, i told you

For deleting, click the sound icon, or any other file's icon in the design mode, and press delete key.

No need to save it as web, then delete the wav. You save it as a web only if you want to extract the music from a ppt. Do what I said, and you have the ppt intact and the sound removed. Converting a ppt to web page is a one way process. You can embed mp3 in ppt. Converting it to wav if you dont like mp3 is pretty easy, but takes more space on disk. Get Audacity and open the mp3 and save it as wav.

OP
fakkadbaba

fakkadbaba

Broken In
Dear Dheeraj,
First of all, thanks for your patience. Secondly, I have not been able to fathom what you mean by 'Design Mode'. I will explain my query in this manner > I received an email with a pps attachment, which has an embedded background music. I want to forward it to others in two ways : first - without the background music, and second - with a different background music. I converted the pps to ppt by just renaming it. But then, when I search all the slides to delete the 'sound' icon, I just cannot find it, even after taking the option of 'custom animation'. That is why I saved it as web page to delete the sound file, and thereafter cannot roll it back to ppt/pps.

Also tell me, can we do something to 'save' a password protected ppt/pps file inorder to extract some data from it, if it is available to us in 'Read Only' mode? Similar feature is available in MS Word.

I hope I have been able to state my query clearly.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Ok, got your problem. First design mode is just what you see when tou open the ppt file. You know, you can design the presentation however you like. Just a term I used, nothing big.

Ohk, so you cannot find the sound icon? If you can find it, you know what to do. I'll look into this, if its possible to embed a sound without an icon.

Have you tried saving the password protected ppt into a html? and extracting the data? I think you can save it into a different format while under the read only mode.

OP
fakkadbaba

fakkadbaba

Broken In
Ok, got your problem. First design mode is just what you see when tou open the ppt file. You know, you can design the presentation however you like. Just a term I used, nothing big.

Ohk, so you cannot find the sound icon? If you can find it, you know what to do. I'll look into this, if its possible to embed a sound without an icon.

Have you tried saving the password protected ppt into a html? and extracting the data? I think you can save it into a different format while under the read only mode.
Have you been able to find if its possible to embed a sound without an icon? And yes, also I could not find a means to save the password protected file to html

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
You will be able to extract the audio by saving it as a webpage.

Regarding embedding sound without an icon, i think the only way is to use the option 'Hide during slideshow' as dheeraj suggested or
just drag the icon outside the slide or
Use the Crop function. Right click the sound icon and select 'Format Picture..'. Then use Crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom