Help needed for 'value for money' upgrade

djrocky

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Heavy browsing with multiple browsers/tabs, songs in background, remote office connectivity, HD movies, little bit gaming.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes, though I would prefer intel over AMD because of support in my locality.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 20,000/- - 22000/- Wont mind increasing little bit if necessary.

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Never

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7 64 bit / windows 8 in the future

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: I already have 2 SATA HDD - WD 320 GB and Seagatte 250 GB. Both of 5400 RPM. No plans to buy any more.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Already have Benq SE2231 full HD (1080p) TV monitor

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 3

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: In a week or so

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:Somewhat

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:Monitor, HDD, Keyboard, Mouse, speakers
Not sure about the cabinet.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: West Delhi. I would prefer purchasing from District Centre, Janak Puri as I can expect some service level especially during replacement.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:
a) I have a Navtech Full ATX cabinet if that can be used.
b) I am strictly not a fan of first person gaming but some capability would be useful for my nephews.
c) I had bad experiences with Intel support so not sure if Intel mobo is worth it. Reliability is very important over features.
d) USB 3.0 and SATA 3 support should be there for future components.
e) I think microATX form factor for motherboard would have reasonably sized casing. Thus if new casing is recommended it would be good if it is convenient to carry in case of any issues. Is it that microATX lead to heating problems in the future.
f) I have a graphic card - ASUS PCI-Express Card (EN9400GT) which I would prefer using in this rig. Better one can be purchased in a years time.
g) For quite some time, my microtek UPS is having some problems and may require replacement. UPS with onsite support is required in the mentioned budget.
h) It looks like humidity has created havoc to my old hardware. Suggestions to avoid welcomed.

Something in my mind as per local market availability

Component Make Price
Processor Intel Core i5 2400 9500
Motherboard H67 with HDMI, USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0 preferred. Is there any ASUS/Gigabyte MoBo which is better than Intel DH67CL 6000
RAM Kingston 1333Mhz 1200
Graphic Card ASUS PCI-E EN9400GT NA
HDD Already have WD 320GB + Seagatte 250 GB NA
DVD Writer Sony SATA 950
PSU ?? 2250
Case ?? Suggest existing/New. Iball and zebronics are available ?
Monitor Benq SE2231 NA
Mouse Logitech NA
Keyboard Logitech NA
Mouse Pad NA NA
UPS Luminous 600VA (not sure if it can give atleast 10 mins backup) 1700
Speakers NA NA
Total 21550

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 8.2K
Asus Asus M5A88-M @ 5.775K (Has 6 SATA 6 Gbps port, 2 USB 3.0 ports)
Corsair 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram @ 1.2K
MSI HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 @ 6.7K

Total 22.9K. I have suggested you a good graphics card because 9400GT is simply not capable enough to run any of the modern games in Full HD (1920X1080) resolution. If you want something cheaper then opt for HD 6750 from Sapphire or MSI around 5.8/6K. For USP, get the Intex 1KVA around 1.8K.

OP
D

djrocky

Broken In
Taken your point regarding the Corsair RAM but I need to check availability or need to check for online order.
As the system would be manufactured by local assembler I would try to source from local vendors.

As per my post, I would refrain from AMD. I have preference for Intel.

Also, I would like to postpone graphics card for the time being as gaming is not my priority currently. I will upgrade it around mid next year.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2400|9400
Motherboard |Intel DH67CL-B3|5400
RAM |Gskill Corsair 1333 MHz 4GB X 1 DDR3 Value RAM|1200
PSU |Corsair GS 600|3900
UPS |Intex 1KVA|1800
| Total |21800

I've included GS600 as a future-proof PSU.
This config exceeds your budget by 1.8K, which is totally worth it as you don't need to change your PSU while upgrading GPU later.

OP
D

djrocky

Broken In
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2400|9400
Motherboard |Intel DH67CL-B3|5400
RAM |Gskill Corsair 1333 MHz 4GB X 1 DDR3 Value RAM|1200
PSU |Corsair GS 600|3900
UPS |Intex 1KVA|1800
| Total |21800

I've included GS600 as a future-proof PSU.
This config exceeds your budget by 1.8K, which is totally worth it as you don't need to change your PSU while upgrading GPU later.

Couple of questions
a) Is there any cheaper option for PSU as gaming is not a priority and in future also I may not go for high end cards.
b) Is the intel motherboard fine or if there is a ASUS/Gigabyte with similar features at around same budget.
c) Would my existing ATX case sufficient or I should buy a new one. Only limitation I can feel is lack of USB 3.0 front ports

Cilus

laborare est orare
Answers:
1. Sicne gaming is not your main concern, you can get the Corsair CX 500 V2 or Tagan Stonerock TG-500 PSU around 3K. If you want much cheaper PSU then opt for FSP SAGA II 500W @ 2.2K.

2. There is no need to go for Gigabyte, MSI or Asus motherboard for H67 chipset. H67 does not offer Overclocking for which actually higher component based mobo from Gigabyte, Asus etc are required. Intel H67 based DH67CL will do the job.

3.Missing Front Panel USB 3.0 is not much a big deal. Since you mentioned that the existing Cabinet is a Full ATX one, you can fit the new mobo inside it. Do post a picture of it here.

However, I still think buying an AMD based system is more VFM and suited for your work. A 6 core Phenom II is what you want. And I didn't get you regarding AMD support issues in your localicty. For Processor, both Intel and AMD has almost same kind of support all over India.
Now for motherboard, all AMD mainboards are from 3rd party companies like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc and I guess they have support center in your localicty as you've mentioned that you wanna go for mobo from those companies. Now if they have support center in your localicty, they will provide support for all motherboards from them, irrespective of the fact if it is an AMD based mobo or Intel based.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Addition to my previous post: The Intel based configuration which I'd given some hours ago, isn't a good vfm rig. See the post made by clius just before this post & try to understand the advantages of AMD config over the Intel one in your budget. There is absolutely nothing wrong with AMD, except for the fact that they don't concentrate too much on advertisement. Intel is more suited for high end rigs, whereas AMD is better suited for medium & tight budget rigs. Your call.

OP
D

djrocky

Broken In
Answers:
1. Sicne gaming is not your main concern, you can get the Corsair CX 500 V2 or Tagan Stonerock TG-500 PSU around 3K. If you want much cheaper PSU then opt for FSP SAGA II 500W @ 2.2K.

Thanks @d6bmg and @Cilus for your useful information.

I have limited knowledge of PSU's and am trying to learn over internet. FSP SAGA II seems a better middle option.

As per your recommendation, Intel DH67CL looks fine.

I have attached pics of my existing cabinet. Do you guys see any limitation with this? The digital temperature over front panel has been disconnected and is not in use. There is only a single externally facing fan at the back of the cabinet.

Regarding the AMD vs Intel, I have few reasons going for Intel
1. As @d6bmg suggest, Intel is suited for high end rigs. So Intel is better even though AMD is value for money. The CPU/Mobo combination has not much price difference for the two.
2. CPU benchmark (provided below) favours Intel over AMD (PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs)

CPU Name Passmark CPU Mark Rank CPU Value
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 5199 98 34.66
Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz 6154 67 32.65

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
no problems with your config.a 6 core processor is only recommended if you heavily use core intensive applications like x264 encoding or 3d/video rendering etc which you don't seem to use much.also SATA III 6gbps is useless for mechanical drives which most people use.in my opinion you should buy at least a decent cabinet for ~2.5k if you are building a system with i5.NZXT gamma is ~2.6k +600 shipping on primeabgb & coolermaster is available on smcinternational.
NZXT Cabinet in India | Buy NZXT Cabinet Online at cheap Price
Cabinets/Chassis

a front panel fan & a fan in back is minimum i think for indian summer.a side panel fan is also recommended.

@d6bmg,i fail to understand why the i5 2400 config you earlier suggested is not vfm.if a user don't use core intensive applications then there is no point in buying a cheaper 6 core especially if it performs faster only in those applications.

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Your existing cabinet is good for running i5-2400 with a full ATX cabinet, but not good for any kind of overclocking due to lack of fan & hence poor airflow. If you are going with i5-2400, then this cabinet of yours will come handy as you can reuse it. But if you choose1055T, I doubt it.

OP
D

djrocky

Broken In
a front panel fan & a fan in back is minimum i think for indian summer.a side panel fan is also recommended.

^^ Your existing cabinet is good for running i5-2400 with a full ATX cabinet, but not good for any kind of overclocking due to lack of fan & hence poor airflow. If you are going with i5-2400, then this cabinet of yours will come handy as you can reuse it. But if you choose1055T, I doubt it.

Thanks @whitestar_999 and @d6bmg but your answers are little conflicting.
As I would be going for i5 2400 (and not 1055T), should I use my existing cabinet or there is need to purchase a new one.
Would there be any poor airflow with existing cabinet ? Also, if you could suggest compatible fan/s which can be fitted for proper airflow.

Also, if you could suggest FSP SAGA II 500W is fine
or other options such as Seasonic 430W PSU (S12II-430), Corsair CX 430 V2 are better fit?
Which is better and has better support (atleast in Nehru Place) ?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
As you are going with i5-2400 that existing cabinet will be more than enough for you. :)
As for the question regarding PSU, all of them are good. But I don't have any idea about the support provided at Nehru Place as I'm not from Delhi. Wait for the reply of someone from Delhi.

aCe: dAvE

Broken In
My opinion:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 8.2K
This will not help and is a waste of money if OP doesnt even utilize all the 6 cores hence a Phenom Quad core will be better. eg.PII X4 955BE, 965.
For USP, get the Intex 1KVA around 1.8K.
Component | Make | Price UPS |Intex 1KVA|1800
Why would you suggest such a cheap UPS? A UPS which is not reliable is completely useless. Prevention is better than cure. Trust me. I've come across many of my friends regretting over the purchase of those iball, intex etc UPS's and other products.
@OP, leave this and GPU for now. When you have the budget get them or if its urgent then get a 600/800 UPS from APC/Numeric.
Couple of questions
a) Is there any cheaper option for PSU as gaming is not a priority and in future also I may not go for high end cards.
If price is not an issue get at least a GS600/SII520W for around 3.5k. Or confirm the availability of FSP PSU's. If not in stock then Corsair CX series is your only option. And say no to CM Extreme-series psu's.
b) Is the intel motherboard fine or if there is a ASUS/Gigabyte with similar features at around same budget.
Get a mobo which have all the features from Gigabyte. If you dont want to risk Asus RMA's by Rashi. I'm suggesting Gigabyte because they are the most reputed motherboard brand in india (if im not mistaken) and they have a strong network of interaction with users.
c) Would my existing ATX case sufficient or I should buy a new one. Only limitation I can feel is lack of USB 3.0 front ports
Get a CM431 from SMC, if online purchase isnt an option.
As I would be going for i5 2400 (and not 1055T), should I use my existing cabinet or there is need to purchase a new one.
As you are going with i5-2400 that existing cabinet will be more than enough for you.
Im a bit confused here, why do you relate cpu with cabinet? o_O
Would there be any poor airflow with existing cabinet ? Also, if you could suggest compatible fan/s which can be fitted for proper airflow.
Since you are concerned about the airflow get a cabinet which have a fan at the front and side(if possible, the CM431 doesnt a side fan but the CM430 does but doesnt have a USB3.0 port) or top. Also, most cabinets now comes along with inbuilt fans so you wont need to get new fans.

Btw, i'm from New Delhi (South). Nehru Place is not far from my place.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
my pc is in a room with no AC just water cooler & on top floor so in summer even room temp crosses 30C & my HDs regularly reach a temp of ~45-48C.if your situation is better then even your existing cabinet with all fans should be enough for a i5 2400 & you can't overclock a non-k core i processor anyway.

Cilus

laborare est orare
aCe: dAvE, I don't need to take your word regarding Intex UPS. I have hands on experience with it and it is a good VFM product. It provides backup of 30 mins with a system consists of i5 2400, HD 6850, 8 GB ram and a VX550. It is running for 1 years without any problem and also comes with 2 Yrs of warranty..

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@aCe: dAvE:: Lifetime & quality of UPS depends on rig builders luck. ;) Yes, I'm serious. For example, I still have one iBall UPS with me, which is 7 years old & still providing 5-10 minutes of emergency backup. Surprised? But this doesn't make iBall a good UPS maker.

OP
D

djrocky

Broken In
Thanks guys

Where can I purchase FSP or Corsair? I could find only on

*techshop.in/store/hardware-power-supplies-buy-online-india-c-320_194.html

Is it a good site to purchase? What about bill and warranty?

SMC international doesn't have both of these.
I would prefer from local shop (Janak Puri or nehru Place in Delhi)
Can you suggest some shops.

Also, If could you suggest some good fans for my cabinet.

OP
D

djrocky

Broken In
I am planning to purchase the items very soon.

Can you suggest some good fans (size and direction of airflow) which can be fitted in existing case ?

Top Bottom