Help needed for CPU upgrade...

tushargupta

Broken In
Hi to all
I want to upgrade my CPU coz it the bottle-necking component of my PC mainly used for gaming.
Desktop score as follows:

*s3.postimage.org/lya6wh50/Windows_Experience_Index_Score.jpg

I was thinking of Athlon II X4 635 and overclocking it to 3.2 Ghz on stock cooler after reading few threads on digit forum.
Budget is 4k. pls suggest.. Will my mobo/RAM be a bottle neck if i upgrade only the CPU ?
Current PC config as in my signature.

Thanks and regards

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
For better gaming you have to get 4 GB ram and also upgrade gfx.

Go for a Phenom X4 955 BE. It will get that score to 7.3 at stock speed itself. And at your Resolution it wont bottleneck anything at all.

OP
T

tushargupta

Broken In
cost plz...

Dear pls suggest something that fits in my budget. Will CPU upgrade not worth if i donot upgrade mobo and RAM to DDR3. I dont want top of the line gaming ... Gaming at medium settings with reduced resolution is also good with me.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Phenom II X4 955 is around 5.4/5.5K. But seeing your config, I think you should go with Athlon II X4 635 @ 4K. The Athlon II 635 is a 95W CPU and supported by your mobo whereas 955 is not in the CPU support list of your motherboard. Probably the reason is that your mobo does not support 125W CPU.
No there will be no such visible bottleneck but as Tech_Wiz suggested, get another 2 GB ram as 4GB is recommended to run Windows 7. The current price for 800 MHz 2GB DDR2 is RS 1250.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
before getting the new cpu cpu don't forget to update the mobo bios to the latest version ;-)

Top Bottom