Help ! Need a good DSLR for 40-50k

ashu_chawla

Right off the assembly line
Dear All, :razz:
I Want to buy a DSLR with 40-50k range and i can strech my range , i m a newbie to dslr's , i have asked my teachers and freinds about it they said Take D5200 or go for D7000 or go for Canon 600 or 650 ... help me plzzz :lol:

raja manuel

In the zone
That is quite a range of DSLRs. Why do you need a DSLR? In what way are you being held back by your current gear that you feel will be solved, or at least mitigated, by a DSLR? This will help us suggest something for you.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think no point and shoot can be compared to a dslr :D If u r P&S user then you will be amazed by the quality and flexibility of a dslr cam

the DSLR choice can be decided if you can tell us what will you shoot?? how much can you invest in comming months (if u have to buy zoom lens and flash and a tripod) ??

buying a dslr is not like P&S that one time purchase...DSLR system needs continous supply of things needed for photography :D

OP
A

ashu_chawla

Right off the assembly line
I think no point and shoot can be compared to a dslr :D If u r P&S user then you will be amazed by the quality and flexibility of a dslr cam

the DSLR choice can be decided if you can tell us what will you shoot?? how much can you invest in comming months (if u have to buy zoom lens and flash and a tripod) ??

buying a dslr is not like P&S that one time purchase...DSLR system needs continous supply of things needed for photography :D

That is quite a range of DSLRs. Why do you need a DSLR? In what way are you being held back by your current gear that you feel will be solved, or at least mitigated, by a DSLR? This will help us suggest something for you.

Dear,
Actualy i have already used point and Shoot Cams from last 4 years now i want to shift to DSLR's I love doing Nature Photography . i have a budget around 40 - 50 k ... and i knw DSLR are khau piu ... hehehe it want a continueous supply after the purchase .....kindly tell me which will be the best amoug i wrote at the top or u can suggest something

divya magvani

Broken In
Re: Help ! Need a good DSLR around 35000

Sorry to ask a question in between your conversation,But i am complete amateur in terms of a DSLR , i also used point and shoot for around 4 years , i used olympus fe46 . I have shortlisted some DSLR which are as follows:

Canon-600d 31000Rs(from a shop dealer)
Nikon-D3100 (25000Rs)
D3200(31000Rs)
D5100(29000Rs)

Although i think D3100 is good enough but as per DXOmark test it scored only:67 in comparison of d5100 which scored:80 and also D3200 scored:81 in their test i am really confused which will be best for me also right now i will only buy a kit lens in future i would like to buy a prime or a zoom lens,I am a complete beginner in world of DSLR's and want to learn the usage of DSLR i think d5100 will be difficult to learn since it does not have "GUIDE MOde" compared to D3100 and D3200 Pls help me and resolve my queries ASAP

Sorry but i have started an account today only,so i am a complete noob in terms of posting and threading all, Thanks!

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@OP
600D with kit lens
with the extra money, you can buy bag, tripod...

Divya,
600D with kit lens

divya magvani

Broken In
@nac
Thanks for such quick reply , i already handled D3100,D5100 and canon 600d however i have found that 600d image quality with kit lens is given :67 score while nikon d5100:80 score is given with kit lens ,i found d5100 control to be more easy for me but due to lack of guide mode i am hesistating to buy it as i am thinking what will happen to my expensive hobby of photography if i dont know how to click,Also do you know whether guide mode is helpful or not,also in canon 600d ,if you want to click a shot in night than it uses strobes of flash to meter in night,whereas nikon has an AF Assist lamp in front of it.

I also know there are following benefits of canon:
1.Inbuilt focusing motor
2.Dof preview button(missing in all nikon model i have mentioned)
3.Better viewfinder
4.cheaper lenses
5.Better controls in video mode(only nikon d3200 can manually adjust its exposure in video mode)
6.Better LCD

But there are benefits in choosing nikon also:
1.better controls layout(as per my preference)
2.better build quality
3.Better image sensor (expeed is better than digic )
4.accurate metering with 3D color matrix metering II using 420 RGB pixels
5.I have senn hundred's of sites sayng people over the globe prefering :
Nikon-For photography
Canon-Videography

So my take is that i am actually not considering canon,But confused between ALL THE THREE NIKON MODELS ONLY(I HAVE ADDED CANON SINCE PEOPLE THINK I HAVE NOT GIVEN FAIR CHANCE TO IT).

Pls YOU camera owners help me deciding my camera!!! Sorry for any TYPOS!! Thanking you in ADVANCE!

sujoyp

Grand Master
@ashu stretch a bit and get D7000 with 18-55 kit for now...its still best among all other choices ..now the question is after 1-2 month u will definitely feel bored of 18-55 ...will u invest 6k on prime lens or 18k on a zoom lens as per ur need soo quickly :)

if yes then get D7000+18-55 ...
if no then get D5200+kit and u will have 10k left...add 8k more and get zoom lens or with 10k get a prime lens+tripod or bag or flash what ever u want

@divya dont analyse a dslr with dxo scores....not worth it :)

now in ur analysis some things are true and some are not

Canon Advantage
1.Inbuilt focusing motor .....false, no motor in canon dslr...just that all canon lenses have motors.
2.Dof preview button(missing in all nikon model i have mentioned) this maybe an advantage...but do u know what it is :)
3.Better viewfinder...all these models have pentamirror viewfinder ..the difference in them maybe very minor in use...actual difference is in pentaprism viewfinder which canon 60D and nikon D7000 have
4.cheaper lenses ...absolutely false ...give example :)
5.Better controls in video mode(only nikon d3200 can manually adjust its exposure in video mode) big advantage of canon if u need video
6.Better LCD ...maybe...but not useful in dslrs

But there are benefits in choosing nikon also:
1.better controls layout(as per my preference) ...personal preference ...
2.better build quality ...true
3.Better image sensor (expeed is better than digic ) ....in real life does not matter
4.accurate metering with 3D color matrix metering II using 420 RGB pixels ....this also does not matter in real life :)
5.I have seen hundred's of sites sayng people over the globe preferring :
Nikon-For photography
Canon-Videography

This is not at all true...canon is very aggressive and in sports world like tennis golf or car races u will see canons dominating photography...and video controls is canons real advantage.

Nikon is famous for its legacy system....you can buy a 1950's nikon lens and use it on ur current dslr....old lenses maybe manual but in some cases those metal lenses with superb glass really defets todays cheap plastic lenses :) soo people ones buy nikon are nikonians forever :D

Also neglect guide mode...I used it only 4-5 times even when i started.

Now what you should get ....hmmm since u liked nikon controls and layout get D5100

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I really don't buy that rating after one of our member's comment and I really see Canon's IQ and low light performance are better than Nikon peers (may be it's just my opinion).

Hey! It's not a rocket science. You will know how to use after spending few days-weeks with the camera. Don't add too much weightage on guide mode. After all this is my opinion, treat it with the pinch of salt.

Try these two cameras (600D and D5100) in a local shop and see which one fits you better. Go with the one you like... :)

divya magvani

Broken In
@Mr. Sujoyp

I already know what is dof preview button -when we change aperture from f2 to f18 or something we can se the diff. in viewfinder that how the shot is going to be composed , but in nikon models we can see the change in live view mode.

In nikon d3100 and d3200 if we have selected auto iso than in viewfinder instead of saying which iso it is using it shows auto iso but in nikon d5100 and canon 600d it shows the actual iso

if u think canon does not have focusing motor built into the body then refer to these links:
(just search word focus on these pages)
Canon 600D vs Nikon D5100 - Our Analysis

600d vs D5100: Canon Rebel (EOS 1100D-300D) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Flickr: Discussing Canon 600D or Nikon D5100 in Digital Photography School

and please why u guys are not taking d3200 as competition against d5100 since it is only 2000Rs. expensive than d5100.

Also D3200 is equipped with Expeed 3 processor (d3100 and d5100 both have expeed 2 engine) also i think newer is better
The sensor used in D3200 is same as sensor used in D4 if u don't believe me check their site also Nikon d5100 share same sensor as nikon d7000 but i think D4 > D7000(in terms of sensor)

Pls guys help me sorting out my starter DSLR I am no Canon or Nikon fanboy

@nac
i already handled all the dslr mentioned in my earlier post except D3200.

Thank you!

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ :) Most of the newbies think that Canon DSLR does have in-body focus motor (I did think so, a while back). In fact, Canon DSLRs don't have in-body focus motor but the lenses do have focus motor in them. Whereas Nikon's entry level cameras like D3xxx/D5xxx don't have in-body focus motor but D90, D7xxx and above do have in-body focus motor.

All the Canon's lenses do have focus motor in them but some of the Nikon lenses don't have focus motor (50mm f/1.8G). So you gotta spend a little more to get 50mm f/1.8D, AFable lens.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@divya .....just belive us ...no canon DSLR have a motor inside...all canon lenses have motors :)

u r right about DOF button...there r more uses specially in portraits and macro photography.

D3200 is just an upgrade of sensor on nikon's D3xxx range...Nikon D5xxx range will always have better features then them.

and nope newer is not better ...a 3 years old D7000 can beat any new D3xxx or D5xxx dslrs even D5200 .....people are still buying 5 years old D90 ...a camera is not a technology gadget but a photography equipment just like flash or lenses.

I would still suggest going for Nikon D5100 ....its good enough for any newbie ...once u buy a dslr then the real expenditure starts on various lenses and other things

divya magvani

Broken In
I also liked D3100 but my thumb was not feeling comfortable while using D3100 thats why i am ditching D3100 but i also liked D5100 dont know anything bout D3200 since not handled it, but i know one thing for sure that i am getting a combo of :
D5100+18-55mm+4 gb mem. card+ nikon bag + some sort of filter = 29000 Rs.

Is nikon bag is good enough or i should get a lowepro adventura 160 or something like that also class ten UHS 1 card is required to shoot HD videos ,i am not opting for tripod purposely because my friend told me first learn how to use DSLR then buy any other stuff like that , also i am not buying any extra les now coz first i want to know whether what is diff. between dif. lenses then only i will buy lenses coz i am complete noob regarding lens also if i will buy lens i will buy afters a year or so , so after a year i will need guidance from u guyz also THNX FOR making it easier for me to choose still i want a proper comparison of D3200 and D5100 and point out benefits of D5100 THNX GUYZ FOR HELPING ME!

sujoyp

Grand Master
ur combo is good :)

nikon bag is good-for-nothing ....boxy type..and that free memory card if u get of class 6 then fine...else just get a sandisk ultra or extreme memory card..it will do

just get a bag that u feel comfortable...like sling or shoulder bag or backpack what u feel is easy for you.

yaah lenses r one time investments...u should know the purpose before getting it ....I generally recommend a zoom lens coz it helps in bit of birding, zoo and flower shots..

D5100 have tilt screen D3200 dont
D5100 have timelapse recording D3200 dont
D5100 have better body and grip D3200 dont
D5100 have selective color shots D3200 dont (I loved it)

remaining most things r same :)

divya magvani

Broken In
But 24mp seems alluring to me coz i like excessive cropping Plus i want to correct a mistake in ur msg that D5100 Is NOISE MASTER in comparison of D3100,3200 and 600d it has more cleaner img's e1 @ hugh iso's also i have heard that Nikon's d3200's 24mp detail cannot be resolved by kit lens is that true??

I have very big hands while holding P&S it feels like i am holding a dairy milk that is my main problem and that's why i am ditching D3100 bcoz i have handled it in croma and buttons seems very difficult for my hands to reach so D5100 will be better or D3200(provided my big hands) & Thnx for Rpls this much Qckly !

aroraanant

Explorer
Sorry for bumping someone else thread but a friend of mine is planning to purchase a DSLR, was looking out for D5200 with 18-55mm kit, is there any better option than that in that price bracket?
Is there something in Canon better than that in the same price bracket?
How much difference is there in D7000 and D5200, and is it worth spending that much in D7000? D700 is out of the budget though but I m still asking.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I really don't buy that rating after one of our member's comment and I really see Canon's IQ and low light performance are better than Nikon peers (may be it's just my opinion).

Hey! It's not a rocket science. You will know how to use after spending few days-weeks with the camera. Don't add too much weightage on guide mode. After all this is my opinion, treat it with the pinch of salt.

Try these two cameras (600D and D5100) in a local shop and see which one fits you better. Go with the one you like... :)

Referring to me? :D
I still maintain the Canon has a slight advantage in low light and focusing while the Nikon on price and build/handling. But just my personal opinion. :)

OP, try both cameras and choose the one that "feels" better to you. They are both very good cameras and you wont be disappointed choosing either of the two.
And like sujoy said, dont go by the Dxo rankings. I have had my fair share of going through their site and while I dont question their methodology, I do strongly hit at their scores in more cases than one. Photography is an ART, not something one can quantify, same is kind of true of the cameras as well, every one has its strong point and its weak point.

@divya: Dont fret over the live view mode. You are not going to use it for any significant amount of time. And as a general advice I'd ask you to choose the D3100/D5100 0ver the D3200/D5200, the price jump is not worth it and I have seen some very reputable sites produce sample images that are noticeably worser on the newer models despite the bumped up specs. And stay away from snapsort, that site is so useless for these tricky comparisons that it shouldnt even be mentioned here :>

@ aroraanat : Why not look into a D5100 + lenses ? That'd be my call at that price point.

sujoyp

Grand Master
But 24mp seems alluring to me coz i like excessive cropping Plus i want to correct a mistake in ur msg that D5100 Is NOISE MASTER in comparison of D3100,3200 and 600d it has more cleaner img's e1 @ hugh iso's also i have heard that Nikon's d3200's 24mp detail cannot be resolved by kit lens is that true??

I have very big hands while holding P&S it feels like i am holding a dairy milk that is my main problem and that's why i am ditching D3100 bcoz i have handled it in croma and buttons seems very difficult for my hands to reach so D5100 will be better or D3200(provided my big hands) & Thnx for Rpls this much Qckly !

Yes they say that more megapixel needs better lens to take full advantage of it....it means when u view the image in its actual resolution for cropping u may not see it very sharp due to use of basic lenses...this is true specially for D800...600D with 18mp may look sharper when viewed on full resolution with 18-55

The pro says all the DSLR in a catagory (D5100,600D,D5200,650D)are similar and take same quality of shots ....soo dont worry about that...how a dslr feels in ur hands is much important...when we says build quality,button layout,grip they are all personal preferences.....if u feel D5100 is better in ur hands then D3100, then D5100 is better for you.

@aroraanant D5200 have compititior like canon 650D

D7000 is a higher level model then D5200....D7000 have dual dials, many buttons,better body, better grips....and maybe technically more features.....D5200 just have the focus and metering module of D7000

Top Bottom