HELP : my UPS behaving weird

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by ironfreak, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironfreak

ironfreak New Member

I have Champion 600 UPS. But As soon as light goes off (power cut) and it should work on battery, but it produces some "dhuuuuuuuurrrrrrr" sound. As if there is some motor running inside ! And vibrates a lot... Not to mention that PC goes off.....:?

It works normal when power is there.

What can be the problem ? Is this UPS is not enough for my config ? Shall I change it ? Or its some fault and can be repaired ?

Please help... :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar Simply a DIGITian

I think thr is some prblm inside ur UPS.

3. raj_v1982

raj_v1982 New Member

have your connected any table fan or any table lamp to the ups ??

as soon as i connect my table fan to my ups , i also hear that same sound from the ups :D

4. OP
    OP
    ironfreak

ironfreak New Member

No guys.. nothing else is connected.. only SMPS and monitor.... any suggestion ? Is this UPS not sufficient for my config ?

5. rhitwick

rhitwick Democracy is a myth

How old is your UPS?

I think ur battery is gone. Take it to the vendor

6. pimpom

pimpom Active Member

@ironfreak
    That sound is most probably coming from the power transformer inside the UPS. It makes that sound either because the core plates are not clamped tight or because it is overloaded.

The overload can be internal due to a faulty component, or external when you try to draw too much power from the UPS.

An external overload is unlikely as 600VA should be enough for your configuration. Is your monitor powered through the UPS? Is it a CRT or an LCD?

You can try one thing: Disconnect all loads from the UPS, pull out the mains plug too, and then turn it on. If it still produces the same sound without any load, it must be defective.

7. OP
    OP
    ironfreak

ironfreak New Member

@pimpom :

I showed it to local electric shop guy.... he also said something about transformer inside.. but he said he isn't expert in UPS... I connect SMPS and monitor to UPS. Yes, monitor is LCD. anyways I tried detaching everything but sound does come ! However its less but it is there.
    Actually this has been happening since long time, I couldn't get time to tome online and post on forums.. The problem started few weeks after I bought the new config in Nov 2008. You can see my config in signature.

What to do ? Even if it gets repaired , shall I continue with this UPS or I need new one with more capacity ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.