Help me with USB DSL Modem Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpionzzz

Right off the assembly line
I am using Airtel Broadband. i have connected it using the USB port as the lan port is used by other person. after suing it for 30-45 mins my net goes down and the network connection gets hanged. i have to jack out and jack in to rectify the problem.
While i use the lan cable with my USB Lan Card i hav no such problem.
Can anyone suggest me what can be the reason. is it mY usb ports or the Modem..
I am using P4 1.8 with Intel 845 GVSR Mother board. 512 DDR1 Ram ( 2slots of 256 mb)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
scorpionzzz said:
I am using Airtel Broadband. i have connected it using the USB port as the lan port is used by other person. after suing it for 30-45 mins my net goes down and the network connection gets hanged. i have to jack out and jack in to rectify the problem.
I am using P4 1.8 with Intel 845 GVSR Mother board. 512 DDR1 Ram ( 2slots of 256 mb)

This is common problem with USB connectivity..and only solution of this is start using LAN card.We at Airtel never recommend anyone to use USB cable.With USB ..you just make a virtual LAN card.That as times passes..USB start giving answer.

If you want to run multiple connection on single connection..than add a HUB or switch and use LAN on both computer.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
yup their is no problem with ur usb port.... it just automatically gets disconnected and then reconnects... so dont connect broadband to usb... a better idea is use lan card... or buy new one if ur existing lan is used already.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^ His LAN card is not used but the LAN port in the modem is used by another person so he has to use the USB port of the modem :p

@scorpion: If the modem is yours then ask the other person to use the USB port and then use the LAN port yourself.
You can give any excuse like you PC has no free USB port or things like that.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
cynosure said:
^ But this guy is using Airtel :p
BSNL,MTNL,Airtel modem are based on Broadcom BCM6338 chipset.And all use same technology.So,there is no much difference all these ISPs.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
cynosure said:
^ So the problem is from the airtel's side or its his modem that has gone bad?
This is neither problem from Airtel side..nor a modem problem.This is USB problem. As I was told...USB port is unable to transfer data regularly for long time. New USB port may work good...but as the time passes,they start giving responce.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
ravi_9793 said:
This is neither problem from Airtel side..nor a modem problem.This is USB problem. As I was told...USB port is unable to transfer data regularly for long time. New USB post may work good...but as the time passes,they start giving responce.
usb Post???

correct your typos:p

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
scorpionzzz said:

I am facing the same problem...Only difference being that I use Internet on my Laptop...My ethernet port is used to connect to another computer....I get connected to my ADSL modem using USB as I wanted to connect to the Internet and remain connected to the other computer at the same time. I dont want to share the internet connection on both computers. All I want is that I remain connected to the internet and the other computer at the same time. I don't want to buy a new hardware for this...

I read some time back that there are certain programs which automatically reboots a modem after certain period of time....As a last option, I can use this too...so if possible suggest me a good program/script to automatically reboot my modem after certain interval of time.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
^^^^^^^^yaa there are certain programs using which you can set time for modem reboot.I dont know any specific....rather try Googling.

But this is not recommened....as rebooting modem at certain invertal of time will create disconnection on both PC and laptop during reboot.And there may be chance that your laptop internet is disconnected before your modem is set to reboot.So, invest some money..and get a HUB/ switch. It will hardly cost you around Rs. 500/-..and use ethernet connection on all computers and Laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom