help me with this build........

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
since we cant go off topic...
lets just try to understand why i said the asrock is bad...this post is for anyone who is interested..
1.QC issues(DOA,bad sockets).
2.Usage of analog controller in VRM
Now In modern motherboards voltage is controlled in two ways mainly;one is analog controller IC or by a digital controller IC.
in case of analog controller the voltage goes like a wave and the IC constantly monitors and adjusts the voltage so sometimes it goes higher than what is needed and it sometimes it goes lower;in reality it translates into constant fluctuation in the vid as the voltage is constantly adjusted by the IC and this fluctuation is VERY bad for Intel SB and IVB chips as they are not very tolerant to voltage changes and tend to degrade fast.
in case of digital controller the IC is told exactly how much voltage is needed to reach the set vcore and the output voltage is given exactly as needed,no over compensation or under compensation is needed in this case and the fluctuation is almost Zero.So as a result the Chips lasts much longer.
in case this is too technical let me give you an example..
suppose you are refueling your car,you fill up the tank until its spills over and spoil ur suit and then you stop:this is how analog works;it does the job but inefficiently.
How ever in case of Digital you exactly know how much fuel is needed to completely fill up the tank and u control the flow to fill upto that point only and thereby not spoiling anything in the process.
Hence we see Digital controllers are more efficient and accurate.

Now with reference to the boards in issues
Asrock Extreme 6 uses ISL 6367 IC which is essentially an hybrid IC(part analog+part digital) hence the power delivery is erratic.
Gigabyte Sniper M3 uses IR 3567 IC which is completely digital and hence more efficient in power delivery and makes the sniper m3 more suitable candidate.

reference:
VRM Articles

as for my knowledge...i tend to share whatever i know/i test..and people see me as a rude arrogant person for that..but i dont really care as long as my knowledge is doing some good for the community.

mods/supermods are welcome to delete this and any other post of mine if they deem this to be off topic :)

Do any of the reviews deal with durability ? I guess not

depends on the testers definition of durability...
for some a board is durable if it passes a certain test by any means possible..
for some a board is deemed durable if it passes the same test in an efficient manner.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
The point here is VRM of Extreme6.It is a hybrid digital PWM controller.
It is not as bad as it is being made out to be.

I have already mentioned the voltage steps for CPU core in case of extreme6 are quite small(0.005V) unlike the previous z68boards which is very good thing as far as overclocking is concerned.

What is so wrong with extreme6?I don't seem to find any big issue.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
:facepalm:

the controller is bad and asrock should feel bad...they have huge llc issues like board giving 1.5V for a 4Ghz oc in a few cases...and 1.5V is like a bat in the face for any SB/ivy chip...for the same price point Sniper M3 should be considered.

Quality should be given more preference over quantity IMHO

vkl

Cyborg Agent
It is not as bad as you are trying to make it look.

These boards are decent for overclocking.And not everybody had to push the board to its limits for overclocking.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
am not making it look bad..am just pointing out the bad things...despite these one wants to get it..be my guest :p
as for OC ing SB/IVY...voltage regulation is most important..whether you pushing it to extreme or just settling for an mild oc.
My chip does 4Ghz on 1.17v in my current board..on GB it needed around 1.2v which is acceptable..same chip on Biostar and asrock needed 1.32v..go figure :p

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^
Well even though each chip overclocks differently...folks at anandtech were able to achieve 4GHz at 1.096V and 4.6 GHz at 1.128V.
They did reach 4.8GHz with 1.248V although temperatures were high at this clock frequency.All these were with automatic overclocking.Things were even better with manual overclocking.
Now this was with i7 3770k which is not as overclock-able as i7 2600k or i5 2500k.

Overall it is a decent board for overclocking.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
err.......i was using the same chip...
i sincerely hope u get my point rather than just supporting the board.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Why don't you get the point...it is decent enough for overclocking.
From the voltage values from anandtech for overclocking and from various reviews by different sites it is easily proved.
Period.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
i get ur point....its not bad...but M3 is better...too hard to accept that?
guess so :p

anyhoo.....hard to reason with when you dont see the point....time to pick up one more extreme 6 and give out test results :p

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Did I ever say anything about Sniper M3?I never said that sniper M3 or any other mobo is bad or so.
The point I made is that extreme6 is a decent board for its price and just better than others considering its feature and form-factor at the price-range.
Now for an average user 4.6GHz or more with an ivy sandy unlocked i5/i7 is not that big a factor to be considered.
Average user doesn't require his system to be OCed 24hours nor does he/she required very high max clocks.
If a user runs his i5 2500k at 4.4GHz...then from that level to 4.7GHz he would hardly notice any single-threaded performance gain...hardly ~6-7% though in multi-threaded tasks he might get quite a bit more but then these chips are already quite fast and 4.4GHz is already quite a bit more than stock clocks.

Btw what makes you think that you are more creditable than folks at anandtech,tomshardware,hardwaresecrets,xbitlabs and others?

And stop using sms lingo.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
The point I made is that extreme6 is a decent board for its price and just better than others considering its feature and form-factor at the price-range.
Now for an average user 4.6GHz or more with an ivy sandy unlocked i5/i7 is not that big a factor to be considered.
Average user doesn't require his system to be OCed 24hours nor does he/she required very high max clocks.
If a user runs his i5 2500k at 4.4GHz...then from that level to 4.7GHz he would hardly notice any single-threaded performance gain...hardly ~6-7% though in multi-threaded tasks he might get quite a bit more but then these chips are already quite fast and 4.4GHz is already quite a bit more than stock clocks.
by your logic the MSI Z77A G45 looks like a good choice too..
and considering your notion of "Average user" it fits right into segment.
Power, Heat, And Efficiency : Seven Sub-$160 Z77 Express Motherboards, Reviewed
from incinerators link
The msi shows a lower all round temps in the VRM and its ATX form factor.and has ample connectivity options and the OC margin is ok for average user.
Btw what makes you think that you are more creditable than folks at anandtech,tomshardware,hardwaresecrets,xbitlabs and others?
have i said am more creditable than them...guess not...
on the flip side what makes you think that i shouldn't have any credit? any particular reasons?
And stop using sms lingo.

err...there is a rule against usage of one "short" form?

in case you missed my earlier posts..Extreme 6 is a ok board..on paper it looks great and shiny..but it has issues..but if anyone chose to look over it they are free to do so..i for myself cannot suggest a board which is known to have issues out of the box and i will suggest alternatives...be it from any brand.

OP
S

sujendra7

Broken In
Hi,

Corsair cx500v2 , is this power supply is good enough if i add Graphix card like gtx650 or HD7770

Thanks
Sujendra

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
If OP don't need full-atx board, then
Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3
are
Asus Z77-M (PRO)
are way better than AsRock z77 Extreme 6 in terms of price and performance of the board, specially the gigabyte board.
In short extreme 6 isn't worthy of spending ~13K. It is not a 13K board.
Although Asus Z77-V LX isn't that good as Extreme6 in terms of OC'ing capability.

If OP don't want to OC (or mild OC'ing for 24x7, like 4GHz), then extreme6 is a good choice,. otherwise not.

And, I've tested it and seen it, Extreme6 have very bad LLC.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
@ Sujendra7

Since you are iffy about overclocking I would say stick to what VKL had said in his earlier post. Get a H77 + 3550 + HD7850. This way you will be way better off,IMO. If you are not serious about OC or extreme OC just leave the K+Z set up.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@ sumonpathak
I have not said anywhere whether any board is bad.I am just sticking to facts.
You said there was a VRM issue,for which I gave you my reply that it is not much of an issue.
The PWM controller is a hybrid digital.
Also the voltage steps in extreme6 is much better and smaller than previous gen z68 which is quite a good thing.
You are giving newegg links which can't be served as reference again even then the ratings were 4/5.
You come with CPU core voltages for overclocking,I gave my references from anandtech for CPU core voltages again proving extreme6 is a decent board for overclocking.
Now you are coming with MSI board.I am talking about extreme6 being good and quite a good one in its price range,I am not proving anything other as bad.
Don't use:"u,ur,anyhoo"...Just that.

@d6bmg
Asus p8z77 V LX is a good board for overclocking and I have given references about V LX many times in the forum.
V LX lacks VRM heatsinks and SLI support(not important in mos of the cases),but still is quite good.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
V LX lacks VRM heatsinks and SLI support(not important in mos of the cases),but still is quite good.

Aren't vrm heatsinks good if OCing?

If matx is not a problem then asus p8z77m pro is quite good.

Personally i think,
Asrocks are great vfm mobos. Not so great on the build part.
Asus is a bit pricy but great build.

@sumonpathak and vkl:
I am sure both of you are correct on your own terms but at the moment its not helping this thread and OP's purpose.
Its better you both take this to a different thread. Others (including me) interested in the topic will find it helpful and easy to follow.

PS: Check the number of posts by you guys on this 'topic' here.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
^hehe...
if anyone is interested i will be happy to explain it..just shoot me a PM :)
OP is scared to death at this point i guess....
so @OP...take whatever suits you man....dont mind us :p

Top Bottom