Help me in Building a Download Rig

vineetrocks2005

In the zone
Hi...

I want to build a download rig, just for downloading stuff. I can spent upto 9K on this rig. No Keyboard/Mouse, Monitor, UPS, DVD Drive etc. Needed. Please suggest me a configuration. Intel Atom or AMD will do. I also want a Wifi Receiver included in the config.

Thank You

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Processor: Sempron 140 2.7GHz @ 1.8k
Motherboard: Biostar TA785G G3 @ 3.7k
Ram: 1Gb DDR3 from Hynix/Kingston @ 1.8k
Hard Drive: WD Green 500Gb: 1.9k
Cabinet: cheap cabby from Zebronics with bundled PSU: 1k

Total: 10.2k. else get the DDR2 mobo + 1Gb DDR2. but will be hard to get for below 9.5k. i suggesting that G3 cause it supports ACC. so you may try unlocking the 2nd core on the sempron. 2nd option for mobo is Gigabyte 740G based motherboard, AM3 for 2.5k.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Processor : Intel Atom D410PT (single core 1.66GHz) @ 3k
Motherboard : included with processor
RAM : 1 GB DDR3 Kingston 1333MHz value RAM @ 2k
HDD : WD Caviar Blue 500GB @ 2k
Cabinet : Zebronics Anna with SMPS @ 1.5k
Total: 8.5k

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Add a wifi card for 0.5k

OP
V

vineetrocks2005

In the zone
@Cybertonic: Thanks for the config. As such I don't know much about Intel Atom Processors, the only thing I know is that they are low powered and cheap, I don't know anything about its performance, how is it as compared to the AMD config given above ?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz @ 2.8k
Biostar A780L3 @ 2.7k
1Gb DDR3 1333MHz @ 1.8k
Samsung 500GB sata @ 1.9k
Zebronics cabinet with psu @ 1k

Total - 10.2k

OP
V

vineetrocks2005

In the zone
Thanks Jaskanwar for your config, but I think it will overshoot my budget. I think AMD Sempron and 1GB DDR2 RAM is enough for me...what say ?

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
that intel atom rig will give you the performance of a high end netbook/nettop. i currently have a toshiba nb200 with windows xp and 1 gb ram and it certainly performed better than my older PC runnung low end C2D and 1 GB ram with windows vista. i believe that it will be good enough for a downloading rig but strictly no to gaming

fatalcore

Journeyman
Games......No games......
But i think the amd config is a better choice in this case....even though its 2K extra but...its good investment thean the atom....
I am not saying atom one bad but ....the amd config is better .... Prom my point of view.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
If you own a rig and want this as a second rig, intel one is better as it is coming cheap. But if you are going to use it as your primary PC only for internet surfing & downloading etc. then I would say get the AMD X2 config. Here is Jaskanwar's config with some price corrections:

Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz @ 2.6k
Biostar A780L3 @ 2.7k
1Gb DDR3 1333MHz @ 1.5k
Samsung 500GB sata @ 1.8k
iBall cabinet with psu @ .9k

Total: 9.5k + VAT @ 4% = 9.9k appx.

BTW, do you stay in Dehradun? These are Kolkata prices which are slightly lower than Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai etc. The prices given by Jaskanwar may be more like what you'll get in Dehradun

OP
V

vineetrocks2005

In the zone
@Cool Buddy: I already own a lappy and and a high end PC, I want this just for downloading, I think Intel one is gud for me. By the way is it necessary to add DDR3 RAM or should I go for DDR2 as it is cheaper ?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
the prices of amd config mentioned by cool buddy are well within your budget...go for anything you like..you wont go wrong!!

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Definitely go with atom dude. besides being cheaper its will run cooler and consume less power, which is very important for a download rig

Also I think you can stick with ddr2 as you said its cheaper. if its just a download rig , then you can even go for 512mb ram to save a lil more money.

OP
V

vineetrocks2005

In the zone
I have searched for Intel Atom D410PT and found that it is a Mini-ITX Motherboard, is this means that I have to go for a different kind of cabinet and by the way, is Intel Atom D410PT easily available in small cities like Dehradun ?

pulsar_swift

Youngling
If you own a rig and want this as a second rig, intel one is better as it is coming cheap. But if you are going to use it as your primary PC only for internet surfing & downloading etc. then I would say get the AMD X2 config. Here is Jaskanwar's config with some price corrections:

Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz @ 2.6k
Biostar A780L3 @ 2.7k
1Gb DDR3 1333MHz @ 1.5k
Samsung 500GB sata @ 1.8k
iBall cabinet with psu @ .9k

Total: 9.5k + VAT @ 4% = 9.9k appx.

BTW, do you stay in Dehradun? These are Kolkata prices which are slightly lower than Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai etc. The prices given by Jaskanwar may be more like what you'll get in Dehradun

Perfect !!

OP
V

vineetrocks2005

In the zone
Thanks all for help, I have decided to go with Intel Atom Config, as it is much cheaper and fits my budget. By the way is their any way to control this rig using wifi. I mean this rig will not have any monitor, kb or mouse, so can I control it using some kind of software install on my lappy

OP
V

vineetrocks2005

In the zone
I searched for the Intel Atom D410PT motherboard in my city, but no computer dealer know about this MB. Is it easily available in India ? If so from where I can buy it, except online.

Top Bottom