help: - Installing Cabinet FAN....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BONZI

Journeyman
oh well I'm not a electronics hobbiest. Anyway I will try to do it in my own way.The problem for me is the cabinet has a plastic front so I cant make a hole in it. Is it sensible to go for a fan in the side of cabinet?

krishnathelord

In the zone
pradeep_chauhan said:
BONZI said:
oh thx for these pics. How did you do this?? I mean the number of fans, the number of holes and that fan filter is that something available in the market or is that just a piece of cloth, then the power supply is that from SMPS or is that a seperate connection and whats that speed control?

Or is that a cooling kit?

Well Its all a DIY stuff I am an electronics hobbiest for long and its a simple task. See the fans are all ballbearing ones bought from SP road (local Bangalore HW market) and the box is the cheap mercury one which i bought without SMPS. Next the big side fan is so fitted so that it blowes air on to the SCSI HDDs this is a requirement as scsi HDD get very hot > 60 C. So for the fan fittment itried to drill holes first but the holes / perforations didi not work very well and thus had to make a circular cutting in the box (costed me Rs 10/- ) the filter is a Plastic mesh having a thin piece of cotton cloth and thus i can say i have a washable filter. The setup is supplied with external 24V supply and the controll unit is a adjustable voltage regulator (LM 317T) and a voltage comparator for the visual effect The variable pot in front allowes for controlling the fan speed Thus the speed of the fans can be varied based on what the system is doing. One thing that the shot did not show is the north bridge cooler. A fan is connected on top of the north bridge cooling it.
So its no kit just a setup made from localy available parts and some free time that i had. It does a good job keeps the system relativly cool.
But I still need help to get a good CPu cooler as the cpu Temp reach 85 C when gentoo compiles a new big package "enoonmai" has promised help in getting a good volcano cooler so lets wait and see.

man that is a mind bogling stuff; :shock: , i would definetely like to meet u when i would be in bangalore next month, :lol:

crashuniverse

In the zone
hey guys. fully readymade solutions to my problem. i came right here by a link in QnA to my prob , link given by this thread starter.

well my comp gets peob only when it runs for more than 24 hrs. a P4, 2.8 HT machine. now i c its a heat problem, and i decide to put up an extra fan. i have no probs installing it (have done before ina friends machine) but really cosnfused where do i put it, at the back or in the side (side one really creates a problem when opening the cabinet)

And yes, does keeping my cabinet open for all da time would help or not?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
And yes, does keeping my cabinet open for all da time would help or not?
It depends. If u have a good fan arrangement in ur cabinet, then keeping teh cabinet panel open will actually result in a increase in temp. Otherwise, keeping the cabinet open will work better. The easy way to know, is to actually try it out for urself but here's a pointer: My old cabinet with only one cabinet fan was cooler when I didn't put the side panel on. But my new cabinet with 3 cabinet fans is actually a lot cooler with the panel on.

@pradeep
Although adding a cloth filter will decrease dust inside ur system, it also drastically reduces the CFM of the fan and hence it's effectiveness in keeping the temperature down. So ultimately u will need larger fans with more cfm to push more air. I prefer to keep the vent holes covered in my cabinet with a grill for protection and then clean the insides regularly to take care of the dust.

Also, the "ideal" fan placement of the exhaust is not the rear of the cabinet, but rather on the top panel of the cabinet. And the intake should be bottom front, as the rear of the cabinet does not have proper circulation. These fans shud be in addition to the ones on the side panel. The side panel fans are mostly for Spot-cooling of processor and gpu. But hey, who can afford the ideal?

And yes, keeping a positive pressure inside the cabinet is better than keeping a negaitive pressure. I guess this is because with negative pressure, air will flow into the cabinet from all possible holes, floppy and cd drives. This will quickly build up dust inside the drives lens/head and the uncontrolled flow will not be able to take ay the temperature effectively.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
This is terrific. I was thinking about starting a new thread as I had some questions on adding couple of extra fans to my CPU in future. Never noticed this thread. But now I know where to get the answers. Thank you all gurus for the explaination. Especially you PC (Pradeep Chauhan). :wink:

By any chance are you in IISc ??? Me too posted in Bangalore. Would it be possible for you to enlighten me ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom