help: - Installing Cabinet FAN....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I have bought a new Cabinet fan.... now while installing the fan into my cabinet i cant figure it out which way to put the fan i mean which way the air should go...

1. whether the fan should pull the air out of the cabinet??

2. or the fan should push air inside the cabinet??

pls help me out....

thnx

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
ideally there shud be 2 fans...

one at the front bottom part of the cabinet to "suck in" the air...

and other at top back panel of cabinet to "throw" the air out ...

now choose where shud u put it... :roll:

if u already have a fan at the back of tha cabinet thats working,apart frm
SMPS fan,then install the new one on the front bottom side... :wink:

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
my cabinet doesnt have 2 port or place to put 2 fans..... so i gues i dont want to suck dust in... so i think i should chose the 1st option....

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The flow of air should be in a manner that cool air enters the bottom of the box passes over the CPu + VGA + HDD and is expelled by the exaust fan. So there must be a fan at the bottom preferably at the front to suck in air, also this fan will reduce the dust buildup in the box as there is a central air entry point to the box which can be covered with a filter. So if the box has no hole go get one made I did this it costs Rs 10/- only and results in a temp drop of about 3-5 C

krishnathelord

In the zone
saurav_cheeta said:
my cabinet doesnt have 2 port or place to put 2 fans..... so i gues i dont want to suck dust in... so i think i should chose the 1st option....
selected the correct option as it asures a flow of air in the cabinet

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
*img170.exs.cx/img170/960/airintake8ug.jpg

ideally this is the way your cabinet fans need to be setup
one fans blows air into the cabinet and other pulls out the hot air out of the cabinet
hope you get it
p.s:-what lovely graphics i make na :p

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
grinning_devil said:
techno_funky said:
p.s:-what lovely graphics i make na :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
thats the cleanest,meaningfull,lovely,cursive,easy to read and strainfree
handwriting iam seeing....!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yup.... one more vote....

but u know... my cbnet doesnt has that front soket for the air pushing fan.... so i thought pulling air would be a good idia....

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
one other thing that i want to know that is about the box, @pradeep_chauhan maintioned to prevent dust.... dust is a big issue..... just cant find any way to prevent it to entering in the cabinet....

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
yup ur rite saurav_cheeta, u cant prevent dust frm entering the cabinet,
though u can regularly vaccum it,just dont try any cloth etc...u can try out with a paint brush...!!

my system is in a mess after every 2/3 months,i completely dis-assemble it,clean everything,nd assemble it bak up.. :evil:

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
See to prevent dust entering in to a system the best bet is to maintain a positive air pressure inside your box so to do this put a fan (5") to suck in air with a dust filter and say a smaller one 3" to suck out the hot air at the back now the volume of air entering the box is more than what is leaving it so all holes that are ther are being used by the air to escape and thus dust cannot enter the box the only entry point for air has been filtered thus no dust.

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@pradeep_chauhan

to prevent dust entering in to a system the best bet is to maintain a

positive air pressure inside your box
wow u must have got 95%+ in

ur last physics exam (when ever it was...).... yup it is the best way so far, if

anyone has a cabinet that supports the point @techno_funky made...

*img170.exs.cx/img170/960/airintake8ug.jpg
they should go with ur suggetion.....

but in my case as i have only one soket back of my box that can hold one 5"

fan, i have to think abt wht @grinning_devil wrote.....
my system is in a

mess after every 2/3 months,i completely dis-assemble it,clean

everything,nd assemble it bak up..
though its hard to do but its the

best way for us (those who has only one fan soket...)....

by the way, at the time of reassembleing (over & over..) some time people

tens to go careless (i go....) & pays the price..... for example some time the

power sokets & the data cables back of the drives gets real tight, a little

agression & u have lost it..... any tips on dis-assemble & re-assemble from

ur experience??

@pradeep_chauhan will u put a little light over the dust filter u r talking

about??

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
please tell me how to post a picture and using my web cam i will post the photo of my setup . Ihave been asking this Q for a long time but no one seems to help me. I know you may feel its a trivial Q but i just dont get it. So please help me.

Sourabh

Laptoping
well if i have got wht u meant in ur question, then

u can turn on ur webcam, and place it in front of ur setup

and now share that on cam wid someone in yahoo

take a screenshot of it using print screen and paste that in PAINT

cut/paste wht u want and then save it in jpg format

upload it at imageshack.us and them post the link here

whts the great deal??

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Thanks Let me try

*img21.exs.cx/img21/2604/fanfilter1zv.th.jpg
*img21.exs.cx/img21/7948/fanfilter19bj.th.jpg
*img21.exs.cx/img21/629/fancontroller2lu.th.jpg
*img21.exs.cx/img21/4190/infan5ds.th.jpg
*img21.exs.cx/img21/8938/exaustcloseup4xr.th.jpg
*img31.exs.cx/img31/396/openboxdescription8dn.th.jpg
*img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21&image=openboxdesc5jg.png

Sorry if the immages are not upto the mark Its my first try

BONZI

Journeyman
oh thx for these pics. How did you do this?? I mean the number of fans, the number of holes and that fan filter is that something available in the market or is that just a piece of cloth, then the power supply is that from SMPS or is that a seperate connection and whats that speed control?

Or is that a cooling kit?

OP
Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Man u do need some serious cooling for ur rig...... how many HDD do u have... let me count... 3, 4..... well i lost counting....

though my system isnt that much cramp like urs.... but if needed then might think for this option.... if i can connect that dust filter
*img21.exs.cx/img21/2604/fanfilter1zv.jpg
with my 5" fan, then i can reverse it to push air (clined by the filter) in side & make positive air pressure inside my box..... that might keep dust away..... & would also keep the system temp down......

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
BONZI said:
oh thx for these pics. How did you do this?? I mean the number of fans, the number of holes and that fan filter is that something available in the market or is that just a piece of cloth, then the power supply is that from SMPS or is that a seperate connection and whats that speed control?

Or is that a cooling kit?

Well Its all a DIY stuff I am an electronics hobbiest for long and its a simple task. See the fans are all ballbearing ones bought from SP road (local Bangalore HW market) and the box is the cheap mercury one which i bought without SMPS. Next the big side fan is so fitted so that it blowes air on to the SCSI HDDs this is a requirement as scsi HDD get very hot > 60 C. So for the fan fittment itried to drill holes first but the holes / perforations didi not work very well and thus had to make a circular cutting in the box (costed me Rs 10/- ) the filter is a Plastic mesh having a thin piece of cotton cloth and thus i can say i have a washable filter. The setup is supplied with external 24V supply and the controll unit is a adjustable voltage regulator (LM 317T) and a voltage comparator for the visual effect The variable pot in front allowes for controlling the fan speed Thus the speed of the fans can be varied based on what the system is doing. One thing that the shot did not show is the north bridge cooler. A fan is connected on top of the north bridge cooling it.
So its no kit just a setup made from localy available parts and some free time that i had. It does a good job keeps the system relativly cool.
But I still need help to get a good CPu cooler as the cpu Temp reach 85 C when gentoo compiles a new big package "enoonmai" has promised help in getting a good volcano cooler so lets wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom