Help in deciding laptop in 40k

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Still acceptable, you don't have to bang it, right. I have used 2 acers personally, and found them pretty ok. Perfect VFM.

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
One more thing. I've read that Nvidia Optimus is a pain in the hindquarters; i.e. sometimes it switches to discrete GPU when not required and tries to run intensive games on Intel HD... :lol: Also, it requires profiles to be downloaded for every game (like SLI I believe). There's no way to force it to run on Nvidia GPU always. What say you? :-?

I've just caught myself seriously considering this: HP Pavilion DV4 - 3016tx : flipkart.com Its GPU alone is mouth watering. :-D
To go for or not to go for?

Last edited:

Alien

Journeyman
Optimus is a pain if you want to use with linux. For windows it is fine. There is an option in context menu after you right click where you can choose between Intel/nVIDIA GPU. I doubt if you will find DV4-3016tx anywhere. HP has discontinued it if i am correct.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
And DV4 laptops are just piece of a crap.I suggest you to just stay away from it if you even find it somewhere

You dont own one. I do. And I'm one very pleased customer.

3016tx has manual switchable graphics. Not the automatic switching thing. I've been using mine for over 6 months now. And on the spot service has been very prompt where I live.

I've just caught myself seriously considering this: HP Pavilion DV4 - 3016tx : flipkart.com Its GPU alone is mouth watering. :-D
To go for or not to go for?

Go :cool:

aroraanant

Explorer
You dont own one. I do. And I'm one very pleased customer.

Couple of my friends own DV4 laptops.

The common problems they faced:
  • They have to get the charger replaced a couple of times.
  • Battery back up sucks.The batter gets dead after a year and a half.
  • And heating issues are that much that I can't even tell you.
  • Not so good build quality.
  • Sometimes touchpad doesn't work.
Some of them also had some issues with their screen.
And there are many other things.
Every DV4 user suggests not to buy that laptop.Even dell inspiron are better than that

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Thats the old DV series buddy. This is the new series.

Good battery backup (~4hrs)

Heating issues:- No ( the max i ever saw was a 83C when playing Crysis2 on High performance mode, Hot, non AC room, no cooler. Since then I play games at 80%cpu, never seen anything above 75. Idles at ~42 with Intel GPU. The body never becomes hot, not even at that aforesaid 83C)

Build quality:- For the price, quite good. Lattice pattern looks pretty elegant. Keyboard indicates very slight flex at the delete button, but nothing I havent seen elsewhere.

Touchpad:- No troubles so far. Last checked, Ubuntu 10.04 didnt detect the touchpad, never bothered to check after that (Hate Uniti)

Charger:- Again, no troubles so far.

Screen issues:- I dont know.

I'm not sure of this, but I remember reading that HP has introduced extended warranty too.

Why did i buy this:- Was waiting for the DV6 6017tx, it got discontinued. Then I couldnt find a more 'balanced' laptop than this for the price. (There was another chroma only i7 model, but i missed it)

Is any dell inspiron better than this? No way. My friend's i3 inspiron idles at 50C.

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
You have been using it for only from last 6months.
Its good that you haven't experienced any problem and I really want that you don't have to experience anything like that in future also.
But generally no one gets problem in a year or so,the problems generally come after 1 and a half year or later.

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
Mine and my friend worked fine for 1.5-2yrs.

Even I don't recommend to buy a inspiron and I don't mean that they are good..But as per my experience I suggest to pick inspiron over DV4 thats it.Though there are much better than inspiron, but if when one has two pick among two, I suggested the one which is better

Hmm......
Wonder if anyone has a theory/logic behind that. Do you? :-D

Simply you could google it and get to know the reason.
But if you still want me to tell you then I can tell you few things that why it happens.
If the laptop is not durable or properly built then there will be no problem for a year but after that the body parts will get loose, sometimes touch pad gives you problem and sometimes the hinges(of the screen) gets loose.
And have a lot of experience with HP laptops that after a year one can't work on it by keeping it on a bad and a cooling pad is necessary and one can't work on the laptop even if it is kept on a table for more than 3-4hrs continuously(have seen many cases).
Usually the problems arise after a year,like you people only said that the battery gets kaput in a year or so in dell laptops and that the same case now a days in almost all laptops of every brand(according to me it happens after 1.5 or 2 yrs and not after a year).
But if we see the thinkpad series then the case is different as they have got very good build quality.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
A friend of mine has a Toshiba Satellite L310, and its going to clock 3 years this june. Battery still running very strong, ~3hr+ backup, regular usage. AFAIK, he never showed any special care towards the battery. Beats me.

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
^^ Toshiba screwed up??? :lol:
Maybe by never showing any special care towards the battery, he was (unknowingly) doing the right thing...

Anyway, the current shortlist:

Acer Aspire 5755G: 41.5k: Core i5, 4GB, 500GB, 1GB NVIDIA GT540: [flipkart.com].
There's a variant with 2GB graphics RAM for 5k more. The extra 1GB doesn't make a difference on this kind of hardware, right?
Most likely this one, although a 90th minute goal is still possible. :mrgreen:

Acer TimelineX 5830TG: 38.5k: Core i3, 3GB, 500GB, 1GB NVIDIA GT540: [flipkart.com]
Does the allure of 8 hour backup outweigh the slower CPU??? Stay tuned.... :-D

Asus X53TA-SX096D: 27k: AMD A6-3400M, 2GB, 500GB, 1GB AMD 6650M :hyper:: [flipkart.com]
Awesome VFM, though hesitant to buy an ASUS.

Your comments/reprimands/flaming/advice?

May this :banghead: :pullhair: :confused: :unsure: end soon... :p

Last edited:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Maybe a diff kind of battery?? :confused:

Li-ion batteries degrade a lot in 2 years. Check wikipedia/google for info.

vaibhav23

In the zone
Asus K Series K53SV-SX520D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook
Try finding this one from local dealers.

Asus X53TA-SX096D:For its price no other laptop gives it any competition.
Only some cons. with which you can live

Acer Aspire 5755G:This one only if you don't get the ASUS one(520D)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
plug the laptop to main and use it. you'll have a dead battery before warranty runs out. charge, disconnect, use and one can have battery that will work for 3yrs. BTW not all batteries are same. and a lot depends on the way battery are charged.

Top Bottom