Help in deciding laptop in 40k

kbar1

Journeyman
Hi guys. Need your help.
Gonna buy a laptop for ~ 40k. Can't extend by much.
Need a discrete gpu. Preferably gt540. other specs aren't rigid.
Got a few candidates:
ASus k53 sx 520d
Acer aspire 5755g
Dell inspiron 15 (w/ gt525)

No lenovo. Call me prejudiced if you want. I have my reasons. I'll share the reasons some other day, maybe when I do buy a laptop and can type on a real keyboard instead of struggling with a touch screen.

No hp either. They really hadn't got a great reputation here.....

Good After sales support is a must. I expect it to last at least 3 years, and being a student, can't afford it lying in the service center for extended periods. Like my last one.

I know dell compares poorly with the other two. But considering their service, I'm seriously thinking of buying them.

asus users, please share your after sales experience...

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
But then I'll have a bad case of buyers remorse, knowing that far better ones we're available for the same price....

Ajo

Broken In
If you are going for VFM, dont go for Dell..

Purchased Asus X53SC-SX536D for my bro last week.
2nd Gen i5,4 GB RAM,750 GB HDD,15.6" HD Glare Screen with NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX for 35K

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
i am using ASUS laptop.. build quality is not that good.. but yes they are good VFM..
otherwise lenovo can be ur second option bt i dnt y u r nt interested in this..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
If you are going for VFM, dont go for Dell..

Purchased Asus X53SC-SX536D for my bro last week.
2nd Gen i5,4 GB RAM,750 GB HDD,15.6" HD Glare Screen with NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX for 35K

GT520mx is not a good GPU. Just a bit better than HD3000.

@OP- Only Asus comes in your options after considering the price bracket & all your restrictions.

Also, where does Inspiron 15r is coming in ~40k? IIRC its cost is around 45-47k, Dell recently increased the prices.

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
GT520mx is not a good GPU. Just a bit better than HD3000.

@OP- Only Asus comes in your options after considering the price bracket & all your restrictions.

Also, where does Inspiron 15r is coming in ~40k? IIRC its cost is around 45-47k, Dell recently increased the prices.

Check out the Acers.

Acer Aspire 5755G - i3, NVIDIA GT540, 38k - flipkart.com

Acer Timeline 5830TG flipkart.com

As for the Dell:

dell.co.in

The Acers and ASUS have almost identical, VFM specs (save for the CPU). But Dell has the best after sales support (general opinion). Tough decision.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^One suggestion- If you are supposed to work on Oracle (11g specifically), go with i5, otherwise i3 is fine.

And, go with inspiron if you want peace of mind. :)

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
Bro why are not suggesting him to buy a Asus laptop.It is far better than inspirson

@OP- why are you not considering Asus K Series K53SV-SX520D,Its really a good laptop and an amazing price and it also fulfill all your requirements

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman
Went to the dealer today.... He told me that ASUS is refreshing their configs.... Gonna hold on a bit longer to see if its worth it.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^^^^
Bro why are not suggesting him to buy a Asus laptop.It is far better than inspirson

@OP- why are you not considering Asus K Series K53SV-SX520D,Its really a good laptop and an amazing price and it also fulfill all your requirements

His priority is "peace of mind", which of course brings Dell on first priority. Of course Asus is far better option, but I'm not in a position to comment on its ASS as compared to Dell. Plus if OP is ready to lose some performance (525m Vs 540m) for some peace of mind (which of course Dell can give better), why not suggest him that? :) Else, he is free to chose Asus anytime :)

OP
kbar1

kbar1

Journeyman

I am considering it, it's in my shortlist... The question of ASS is holding me back...

mailshobhon

THE HARDCORE GAMER
I am considering it, it's in my shortlist... The question of ASS is holding me back...

don't worry ass its great i am owner of k53sv its doing great its onsite and they come to your house within 48 hours so don't worry and hardware wise its comparatively better than dell inspiron rest your call.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
my cousin blew his asus k53sv-sx520d charger because of voltage fluctuation just 3-4 weeks after buying & got it replaced at asus service centre in nehru place,delhi with no questions asked after telling them that charger suddenly stopped working.if you are in/around delhi then asus servicing seems good if you can go to nehru place service centre(3 hr journey from my cousin's home).however asus support by rashi peripherals in kolkata(& mumbai too i think) is notorious so not sure about these places also providing similar good service for asus laptops.

mailshobhon

THE HARDCORE GAMER
my cousin blew his asus k53sv-sx520d charger because of voltage fluctuation just 3-4 weeks after buying & got it replaced at asus service centre in nehru place,delhi with no questions asked after telling them that charger suddenly stopped working.if you are in/around delhi then asus servicing seems good if you can go to nehru place service centre(3 hr journey from my cousin's home).however asus support by rashi peripherals in kolkata(& mumbai too i think) is notorious so not sure about these places also providing similar good service for asus laptops.

its not that for laptops they have their onsite service and its nothing to do with rashi peripherals its only for motherboards and asus graphics cards please verify your information before writing in the forum because reality is very much different than what you think

aroraanant

Explorer
His priority is "peace of mind", which of course brings Dell on first priority. Of course Asus is far better option, but I'm not in a position to comment on its ASS as compared to Dell. Plus if OP is ready to lose some performance (525m Vs 540m) for some peace of mind (which of course Dell can give better), why not suggest him that? :) Else, he is free to chose Asus anytime :)

If one is choosing Dell for ASS only then I suggest not to go for it.The reason is:
If you have problem is some part of your laptop and it needs to get replaced then Dell gives you a refurbished part(my many friends have got faulty parts and they replaced the same part 2-3 times) and the more your lappy is getting serviced/opened and the parts are being changed the performance of the laptop decrease(I have experienced the same that is the reason I m saying it,I know many of you will not agree with me on that),the body parts gets loose the more you open it(I hope you guys know it). Though I am having a Dell Inspiron 1525 and it has completed 3.5yrs and is working pretty fine but now as we all the know the companies are not providing the same quality which they use to give a long time.And previously it was dell that was giving best specs for the price(it was the case when I bought mine and bought studio laptop for my friends) but the case is different now,their laptops are infact costs more on the other hand the other laptops which are having better build quailty and better specs are available at a much better price.
The worst thing about inspiron laptops is the build quality.
If someone wanna go for Dell then XPS laptops are the one which he/she should opt for(I m not discussing about the business series laptop here).
I was a very good customer of Dell and have bought many laptops from them for myself and my friends but now the things have changed

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Inspiron has not got good built quality, I myself hate it for this reason. And reagrding, refurbished parts, I can't comment until and unless I have experienced same or some more say about it. But if its there, better Inspiron goto recycle bin. Asus can be restored now :)

Moreover, I was also a good customer of Dell, but when I was buying my laptop, I came to knew about better options, and the reality.

Top Bottom