Help! doubts in buying Wireless Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav

In the zone
i am think of buying a wireless router and i want its cost to be as low as posible, and it must be less than 2000 rs.

What is the range does it provide?
Does any of those provide two-three ethernet ports as it is important for me.
As my pc and bsnl modem should directly connect to it through it and should have a extra port for connecting one more computer to it through ethernet.

How many wireless devices can be connected in parallel??

with increase in connection does the speed decrease only decrease if no one would be using except two people.

my house is about 1500-2000 sq feet with 2 floors. Will it be able to give connectivity to all the corners of the house

thanks is advance

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
why dont you buy a modem cum wireless router.Cost will be around 3K.

Benefits:
1) you will save monthly modem rental of BSNL
2) If has both LAN and wireless port, so you can use it both wireless as well as with LAN wire.
3) Network will be less complex.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Actually im against going for a Modem cum router, specially BSNL wifi modem, cause if I change my service provider then I "may" have to change the modem also. One more thing is that I may have to place the router at a centeral location rather than near my computer.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
sourav said:
i am think of buying a wireless router and i want its cost to be as low as posible, and it must be less than 2000 rs.
Think about DSL modem cum router

What is the range does it provide?
Cant say exact range.But will work fine for home use.

Does any of those provide two-three ethernet ports as it is important for me.
As my pc and bsnl modem should directly connect to it through it and should have a extra port for connecting one more computer to it through ethernet.
I have seen wireless modem cum router at Airtel BB.They provide BX440 modem, it has 4 ethernet port.

How many wireless devices can be connected in parallel??
Airtel BX440 modem can be used to connect 12 wireless system and 4 system with LAN.All 16 systems can work simultaneously.

with increase in connection does the speed decrease only decrease if no one would be using except two people.
Speed will depend on number of PC sharing internet.

my house is about 1500-2000 sq feet with 2 floors. Will it be able to give connectivity to all the corners of the house
yes, it will work fine.I have seen Beetal BX 440 modem, it works fine in 2 floor building.

Charan said:
Actually im against going for a Modem cum router, specially BSNL wifi modem, cause if I change my service provider then I "may" have to change the modem also.
you don't need to change your modem , if you are with DSL technology.Airtel, BSNL, MTNL ..all work on DSL technology.

One more thing is that I may have to place the router at a centeral location rather than near my computer.
you dont need to put router in center.Modem-cum-router can be placed anywhere, making sure it is in range.

Last edited:

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@sourav, I will suggest u to buy Linksys WRT54G which costs 2500 but its worth it. It has a range of 80 feet radius. It has four ethernet ports.Any number of wireless devices can be connected in parallel but the speed will get divided , but only among devices that are currently using internet. I was with Linksys Technical Support so I know few things about wifi. Feel free to ask more queries. :)

OP
sourav

sourav

In the zone
thanks
now what about securiuty of the network
means i used to hear from many people are able to connect to the network and use our data services without needing to take our permission

is this future proof
if i need can i add one more router to it

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
u can use/select/configure any security like WEP or wpa on router , then no one else will be able to use ur network/internet.
what do u mean by future proof ???
yes u can add more routers to it.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Phenom: can you check this post of mine *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=632530&postcount=11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom