Help building a Rig under 70K for Gaming

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: It will be used mainly for gaming ( Mafia 2, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Max Payne 3 etc and any new games to be released in coming 3-4 years) ,watching HD movies and lot of browsing..

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:70 K.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No..May be at later stages. I am not aware of this in detail actually.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:1 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: yes. It has to be full HD and 1920* 1080 resolution. I have thought of Dell 23 inch LED - ST2320L Monitor. Any better option is also welcome , provided it does not incur more money.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:Speaker and mouse.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:in next 2 month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
I have built before and may be I will be doing the assembling with help of my friends.
10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata. Will buy a few components online if required, may be from flipcart. I am planning tho get "GIGABYTE GV-R797TO-3GD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card " from USA. One of my frnd is staying over there and will be returning within next two month. He will be buying that for me. Only reason for waiting two months is getting this card in a cheaper rate.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have thought of below components, prices I am mentioning here is from flipcart mostly.

WD Caviar Green 1 TB HDD Internal Hard Drive (WD10EARX)- 5241
AMD 3.6 GHz AM3+ FX 8150 ProcessorAMD 3.6 GHz AM3+ FX 8150 Processor - 12626
Biostar TA990FXE Motherboard - 9211
GIGABYTE GV-R797TO-3GD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - 26000 (USA price)
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) - 1788
Asus DRW-24B3ST Internal Optical Drive - 1288
Dell 23 inch LED - ST2320L Monitor - 10600
Please review the above config and suggest modifications if any also please rate the above config out of 10.
I am relying on you to decide the PSU and Cabinet.
Do not have much budget for them , but need some good staff here so that it can support the above config.
Is there any PSU with 2 8 pin PCIE connector available?
If yes what will be the price for that.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited:

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
One advice - don't buy expensive items such as graphics cards, mobo, cpu, etc. from US as most of the manufacturers don't offer international warranty. You wont face any trouble till the time parts work perfectly but once you hit a problem with them you will have lot of trouble for sending them for RMA (as you'll need to send the parts back to US and get help of your friends to do all the shipping work).
As for the rig - our fellow TDF members will start putting in a lot of suggestions very soon. best of luck.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
My Suggestion:

Component
Name
Price
CPU
AMD FX-8150
Motherboard
Asus M5990X EVO
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
Graphics Card
Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
PSU
Corsair GS600
Cabinet
Corsar 400R
HDD
WD Blue 1TB
Monitor
Dell ST2320L
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B5ST
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Total

Changed the motherboard, cause the motherboard you have selected is crap for pairing with fx-8150.
Changed HDD cause WD green drives are totally unreliable.
About buying Graphics card from USA, refrain from it unless you are prepared to send that card to USA every time it gets damaged. No graphics card manufacturer except for EVGA provides international warranty. About in India, thanks to sluggish the importer of EVGA, one can't even avail that international warranty.

OP
S

sudipta.bec2007

Broken In
My Suggestion:

Component
Name
Price
CPU
AMD FX-8150
Motherboard
Asus M5990X EVO
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
Graphics Card
Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5
PSU
Corsair GS600
Cabinet
Corsar 400R
HDD
WD Blue 1TB
Monitor
Dell ST2320L
Optical Drive
Asus DRW-24B5ST
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Total

Changed the motherboard, cause the motherboard you have selected is crap for pairing with fx-8150.
Changed HDD cause WD green drives are totally unreliable.
About buying Graphics card from USA, refrain from it unless you are prepared to send that card to USA every time it gets damaged. No graphics card manufacturer except for EVGA provides international warranty. About in India, thanks to sluggish the importer of EVGA, one can't even avail that international warranty.

Thanks for your input.. I have one question ...
will 7850 be able run most of the games ( to be released in next three years) in medium settings ??

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
For medium settings? More than enough.
If you have said highest settings, then I would have little doubt in my mind. But As you are saying mid settings, I'm sure it will go on and on.

Last edited:
OP
S

sudipta.bec2007

Broken In
For midium settings? More than enough.
If you have said highest settings, then I would have little doubt in my mind. But As you are saying mid settings, I'm sure it will go on and on.

Thanks...
Two more questions ---
1. The motherboard seems to be overpriced..it is really necessary..or can I go for some cheaper one?
2.Regarding HDD which one will be better? WD or Segate Barcuda? Is SSD going to be helpful for gaming?

now as 660ti is released...how much do you people think that it will cost in India..

Can I fit that in my budget??
From reviews it seems that it is much better than HD7850..

guys..plz suggest..

S.S gadgets

Broken In
Seagate is the best in terms of reliability.Now, Seagate gives only 1 yr warranty but it doesn't matter.I have been using one HDD and it's still working properly for around 6 years My elder brother has one WD green and it already malfunctioned two times and the service is worse.I would personally prefer Seagate :)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Thanks...
Two more questions ---
1. The motherboard seems to be overpriced..it is really necessary..or can I go for some cheaper one?
2.Regarding HDD which one will be better? WD or Segate Barcuda? Is SSD going to be helpful for gaming?

now as 660ti is released...how much do you people think that it will cost in India..

Can I fit that in my budget??
From reviews it seems that it is much better than HD7850..

guys..plz suggest..

1. You will find many cheaper motherboard option. My suggestion would be not to go for it and the number of power phases decrease in cheaper boards. And that's why you won't be able to overclock properly with cheaper boards.
2. WD have 3 years of warranty whereas Seagate have 1 year of warranty, which clearly suggests that WD is the better option as of now.
3. SSD won't improve gaming experience, but if you install OS in it, OS will be a lot faster.
4. GTX660ti? Forget ir. Indian price is minimum ~23K.

Seagate is the best in terms of reliability.Now, Seagate gives only 1 yr warranty but it doesn't matter.I have been using one HDD and it's still working properly for around 6 years My elder brother has one WD green and it already malfunctioned two times and the service is worse.I would personally prefer Seagate :)

Really? Explain more.
And WD green drives are always really bad in terms of performance and reliability.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
I just built myself a rig for 70k, config as follows:

AMD FX 4100
Asus M5A 97
8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
2 TB WD
LG Optical Drive
MSI Twin Frozr 7850 2 GB
Seasonic S12II Bronze 520
Cooler Master Elite 430
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M

If you replace the U2412M with the ST2320L, you will have about 10k in hand. You can go for a Core i5 3450 and an Intel Z68 or P67 based Motherboard which would be far more suitable for gaming.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Because a) the 3450 is an ivy bridge processor whereas the 2500k is sandy bridge, b) the 2500k is more expensive and c) Since the OP is not interested in OCing, an unlocked proccy is of no tangible benefit, in any case, you can OC the 3450 by 400 Mhz.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I just built myself a rig for 70k, config as follows:

AMD FX 4100
Asus M5A 97
8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
2 TB WD
LG Optical Drive
MSI Twin Frozr 7850 2 GB
Seasonic S12II Bronze 520
Cooler Master Elite 430
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M

If you replace the U2412M with the ST2320L, you will have about 10k in hand. You can go for a Core i5 3450 and an Intel Z68 or P67 based Motherboard which would be far more suitable for gaming.

Alone, FX-4100, worst possible choice as processor, period.
Vengeance are bad overclockers.
2TB WD? which one? Green? Blue?
Green = unreliable.
Blue = good.
LG optical drive? unreliable. Not only me, but many others here & everywhere who use their DVD drive extensively have problem with it.
SeasonicS12II 520 in a 70K rig? Good luck with the RMA mate!
NZXT Source 210 is better than CM Elite 430 for obvious reasons.

^^ Don't take this as my backlash over the rig you have bought, but take this as constructive criticism and a humble request to think before you post, specially before you advise anyone about buying anything.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
Please try to read a post completely before expressing your opinions. I have not recommended the FX 4100, It is a cheap stopgap measure until such time AMD actually comes out with a chip I want to buy. I have actually recommended the i5 3450. The HDD is a WD Blue, who in their right mind buys WD Green HDDs?

Further, you seem to have skipped over the part of the OPs post where he states that he isn't interested in overclocking. I don't even know where to begin about your comment recommending an NZXT Source 210 over the Elite 430. Finally, I have an LG DVD RW that has been working for the last 5 odd years and I went with that rather than waste time researching a part that costs less than dinner at a decent restaurant.

p.s. Have you bought/are using any of the parts you are recommending?

p.p.s. I can't believe you have recommended a Corsair GS 600. Has the OP ever done anything to anger you or are you generally malicious?

Last edited:

Myth

Cyborg Agent
@OP : Give a firm yes/no about the overclocking part, suggesting items would be easier. Non OC setup would be cheaper as well.
Non OC : i5 2400 , intel DH67CL, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler (optional)
OC : i5 2500k , asus p8z77m pro, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler (must)

Avoid WD greens.
Monitor: Benq G2420HD 24'' Wide Screen TFT LCD : Rs 10,900
CM 430 is a great cabinet but a comparison is still given : NZXT Source 210 vs CM Elite 430 (Check specs, ignore the price).
Corsair GS 600 is a great product. Seasonic is a good model, but india rma is troublesome.
Optical Drives performance is pretty erratic regardless of the brand. My first lg lasted a few years, second lg failed in a few months and the current sony hasnt given any problems in 2 years.

OP
S

sudipta.bec2007

Broken In
hello everyone..thanks everyone for advising ...
Regarding Overclocking..at this moment I am not thinking about it..as i am not completely aware of how to overclock and all..but i will keep it as a future option..so to summarize..i want an overclock able system..

also I am interested in AMD option now...as I think AMD option is cheaper with better performance for gaming ...Please correct me If I am wrong..

regarding PSU i am really clueless..so I would like to request you experts to suggest the most suitable one..

Top Bottom