Helena is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Gotta woo Helena again. Damn, this needs patience. Before I take the plunge, can someone tell me how to erase Helena installed in HDD2 without losing GRUB loader. Last time I did, I had to boot from Helena Live CD. Also, this process has made Karmic and XP inaccessible, although 7 is accessible. :|

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
Nice posting Krow :)

I hav been out of the tech foruming scene for quite a long time now. Well...am now gonna upgrade my Gloria right now. Was actually planning to try Sabayon 5...now I hav changed my mind :)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect

I hav been out of the tech foruming scene for quite a long time now. Well...am now gonna upgrade my Gloria right now. Was actually planning to try Sabayon 5...now I hav changed my mind :)

Go ahead, try out Sabayon 5 too. Its way better than 4.2.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman

Thanks a lot! :)

hotshot05

I luv Digit
On the download page(URL: *www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=44), it says that the version available for download has Gnome only.

Is KDE 4.3 inbuilt in Linux Mint 8 or will the version including KDE 4.3 be available later.

Those who have already tried out Mint 8, please reply.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
I must say, Mint would look crap with KDE, even though I like KDE. Mint makes Gnome look great, something which Ubuntu, sadly does not, at least not for me.

Rahim

Married!
openSUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS etc and even Arch & Fedora gives the love deserved by KDE. I began to shift towards KDE after installing openSUSE 10.3 itself anf then using that distro for 6 motnhs, upgrading to KDE4 all the time.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
DE is a matter of personal preference. I personally like KDE but then again I'm left to live with GNOME due to my old machine. Just today I installed LXDE & was quite happy with it. XFCE fails to excite me. When I get a new machine, I'll surely install the latest KDE. :)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmmm.... gave helena a spin (finally)... cleared out Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 9.10 to do it. Pretty impressed with it, as is usual with Mint versions. Really dumbed down though... the shutdown options have explanations for restarts and the like. Didnt notice it before, it was there. Irritated with the default google search, which gives no image and news tabs, but that was always a problem I had with mint. Apart from that, the new gnome themes are kickass. Really like what they have done to the control panel equivalent... hadnt noticed that before also, if it was there. Would love to see Mint with KDE, but I dont really like KDE, too buggy for me. The only time I have used KDE is with Sabayon. When it comes to desktop environments, I am totally a fan of BlackBox. BB allows such easy customization, that it feels great just to be able to tweak the smallest of things, all by editing a simple text file. And the plugins, themes available etc. It makes for a great Windows shell replacement too, but a little buggy on Vista, and buggier on 7.

Getting irritated with having to constantly re-install newer distros. Drifting towards Arch or Gentoo... think will do that next, if I ever feel like I really need to un-install Mint now. Spent about a day and a half customizing my Vista desktop and my Mint desktop to cross link to each other. The "home" folders of the Vista and the Mint installations are the same now, and the download managers are pointed to the same location. Used the same icon sets too. Gnome is not letting me use custom icons on the home folder though. Even when I customize it individually, it is reverting back to the defaults. Donno how to change this, was a pain changing it in Vista too.

Improvement over the month old Ubuntu, definately. However, must say that 9.10 has come a long way, installed graphic card drivers and restricted formats pretty easily, didnt have to pull the whole buy for free trick from Fluendo. Again. Anyone tried the new SUSE? still does that there?

Oh yeah, one more thing, can anyone just give me, in one line, what I need to add to fstab to automount dev/sda1 on startup? Tried a few online tutorials. One just did something that wouldnt let me mount it even after startup, and another didnt seem to do anything.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
UUID=287808DD7808AC1L /media/music ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

UUID=<some letters and digits> <mountpoint> <filesystem_type> 0 0

Find out UUID of the partition by using "sudo blkid" command. Use ext3, ext4 or ntfs-3g in filesystem depending upon filesystem type.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
If you are into GUI, then use pysdm. Just apt-get it. ;)

*www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1171

Linux Mint 8 "Helena" x64 RC1 released. Now this is fast work by the Mint team. Just checked out on Wikipedia. Usually takes them around a month to do so. Hopw x64 final is released soon, which I'm going to install on /dev/sda5. :p

First post edited.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
^Why don't you download and install mint and then install KDE from the software manager? The entry is kubuntu-desktop IIRC.

danova

Broken In
I though Helena is someone else who is very open!

Last edited:

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
If someone is interested in changing their Ubuntu Karmic to Helena, I have done it and posted a short tut at my blog:
*www.khattam.info/2009/12/26/howto-change-ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala-to-linuxmint-8-helena/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom