Helena is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
You just have to create an ext3 partition for "root" and a swap partition for "swap". Then during installation, choose "Manual" for Partitioning and then choose the desired ext3 parition for "/" mount point and Swap partition for "swap". Simple. Just be careful while partitioning and its names. Its not c: or d:
Linux names partitions differently.
Krow you have 2 disks so it will be marked as /dev/hda & /dev/hdb. ( or sda & sdb)
Same with partitions and its numbering.
1st parition on the 1st HDD: /dev/hda1
2nd partition on the 1st HDD: /dev/hda2

Similarly
1st partition on the 2nd HDD: /dev/hdb1
2nd partition on the 2nd HDD: /dev/hdb2

Since you have 2 ntfs partitions on your 2nd disk, create an ext3 parition, which will be named as /dev/hdb3 if primary or /dev/hda5, if logical. Just choose the partitions mount-points accordingly and you will learn how simple itis to install any distro.

Check the FAQ section for more details.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
You just have to create an ext3 partition for "root" and a swap partition for "swap". Then during installation, choose "Manual" for Partitioning and then choose the desired ext3 parition for "/" mount point and Swap partition for "swap". Simple. Just be careful while partitioning and its names. Its not c: or d:
Linux names partitions differently.
Krow you have 2 disks so it will be marked as /dev/hda & /dev/hdb. ( or sda & sdb)
Same with partitions and its numbering.
1st parition on the 1st HDD: /dev/hda1
2nd partition on the 1st HDD: /dev/hda2

Similarly
1st partition on the 2nd HDD: /dev/hdb1
2nd partition on the 2nd HDD: /dev/hdb2

Since you have 2 ntfs partitions on your 2nd disk, create an ext3 parition, which will be named as /dev/hdb3 if primary or /dev/hda5, if logical. Just choose the partitions mount-points accordingly and you will learn how simple itis to install any distro.

Check the FAQ section for more details.
Yeah the names were sda* for disk1 and sdb* for disk2. Is it safe to do the same with an ext4 partition? Just asking, my partition manager doesn't have ext4 support though. I am skeptical of doing it at boot time though. I will make an ext3 partition for now. How much for the swap should I allocate?

I say that the boot time partitioning is kinda bad because I had allocated 30GB to an ext3 partition and 2GB for Linux Swap. Then I clicked on ext3 and clicked forward. It gave me the same no drive specified for root error.

Thanks for help Rahim.

i thought a new geek girl on the forum :p
thanks for the updates krow
worth trying this :D
She is the new hottie on the Internet, but of a different kind. Gloria was easy to get to as she could be gotten to from the Windows. But Helena says that this is cheap treatment. So, it is difficult to get to her. Guess some babes are difficult to get to. :)

Rahim

Married!
ext4 still is not "stable/reliable", so stick with ext3. Use Gparted Live CD for partitioning needs.
You should allocate at least 500 MB for swap and a 10 GB "root" partition would be enough. Further if you are planning to do distro hopping,why not create a separate partition ,which will be mounted on "/home" where all your personal data and preferences would be stored and saved? SO next time if you want to install any other distro, simply share that "/home" partition :smile:

As for "Boot time error" i think you have to select the ext3 partition (30GB) and click on "Edit" and then mount it as "/"

Why not come on #krow and i might help you with the process?

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 8 (Helena)

QAENING: USE "CUstom" Mode when paritioning and dont use "Use Entire Disk " option. I still dont know why this destructive method is used by Linux install. How moronic is it to wipe out the whole drive and loose data?

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 8 (Helena)

QAENING: USE "CUstom" Mode when paritioning and dont use "Use Entire Disk " option. I still dont know why this destructive method is used by Linux install. How moronic is it to wipe out the whole drive and loose data?
That was the place I had gone to. Even I agree that the method is rubbish although there is no data on my OS HDD. Now the problem is that, I use custom partitioning method. Then it allows me to install mint on my second HDD, but not on the OS HDD, even though I made an ext3 partition and a swap area. I then clicked on the ext3 partition and then clicked forward. It gave me the same BS error. No root directory specified. How come I can't install on the OS HDD? If I use the auto detect and install method, then it installs on my second HDD. When I disconnected the second HDD, the auto install mode disappears. Custom partitioning does not work. What is wrong here?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

True. This option should be the last one.

@krow
download Partedmagic iso and burn it on a CD. It has Gparted, clonezilla, various other utilities to make things easy.

*sourceforge.net/projects/partedmag...ic 4.6/pmagic_clonezilla-4.6.iso.zip/download

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
^Its on download now. Thanks. I was unable to install Sabayon 5 and OpenSUSE 11.1 on my Hitachi 160GB OS HDD. But on my backup HDD, all were willing to get installed. :| Does Mr. Linus hate Hitachi?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect

Its there for ease of use. For novice Linux users.

Rahim

Married!
^So what do you assume? People don't have any other data in their HDD? Pictures,videos,audios etc are OS independent and cherishing for many.
Novices, in the excitement of installing Linux, might not understand what THAT option will do to their data.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yeah I agree. Any default installation that wipes your HD is... umm... a bummer <insert strong explitives here>.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
^I think there might be some jhol-jhal with Primary Master and Primary Slave?

output of this command plz
Code:
krow@krow-desktop ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 164.7 GB, 164696555520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20023 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xea28ea28

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        3239    26017236    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            3240        9828    52926142+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3            9829       12868    24418800    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4           12869       17576    37817010   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x3ce9898b

/dev/sdb1               2       60801   488376000    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5               2       29869   239914678+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb6           33659       60801   218026116    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb7           29870       33496    29133846   83  Linux
/dev/sdb8           33497       33658     1301233+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
Its almost a complete bouncer for me. All I can make out is sda* is my Hitachi HDD, having XP/7/Ubuntu(Wubi) on 3 NTFS partitions and the fourth one was were I installed Gloria(Wubi) and where Helena does not want to live. sdb* is my second HDD with 2 drives full of most of my data. Then there are two more, one with Helena and the other swap. Now what i s sdb1? Can't figure it out for the life of me.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
^So what do you assume? People don't have any other data in their HDD? Pictures,videos,audios etc are OS independent and cherishing for many.
Novices, in the excitement of installing Linux, might not understand what THAT option will do to their data.

I don't assume that but I don't think this option to be of much a worry. A person will offcourse understand that when they say "Wipe complete HDD" then it mean "It will DEL all data". So the warning is already given. Its then upon users to proceed or not.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
sdb1 is a partition on your second HDD. In sdbx, here x is your partition number.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I am warning you. Be loyal and just stick with one partner like Arch Linux No more version or new names!!!!!
Join the Cult. You know you want too :eek: . All jokes aside I've found Helena to be interesting . Recently I ran Sabayon 5 Live though and I must say I'm quite impressed. The time has come to try one of the above . If I do Sabayon I'll post a review soon.

The Hard Disk Partitioning portion of all Linux Installs has been a bane in the install procedure for a long time. I'm agreeing with G5 here and going to say that the wipe the hard drive clean option is the best way to start for a person new to Linux. Including a backup option to backup to a Pen Drive or External Disk Drive would be godly as well. But I don't see that happening.

That said I happen to have gotten the subject Unix to teach and I sort of need a Live CD I could give to all my students so that they can practice the commands in Lab or at home. Does Helena also have Live CD version that would work. Is this what I need *www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=44 .

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Join the Cult. You know you want too :eek: . All jokes aside I've found Helena to be interesting . Recently I ran Sabayon 5 Live though and I must say I'm quite impressed. The time has come to try one of the above . If I do Sabayon I'll post a review soon.

The Hard Disk Partitioning portion of all Linux Installs has been a bane in the install procedure for a long time. I'm agreeing with G5 here and going to say that the wipe the hard drive clean option is the best way to start for a person new to Linux. Including a backup option to backup to a Pen Drive or External Disk Drive would be godly as well. But I don't see that happening.

That said I happen to have gotten the subject Unix to teach and I sort of need a Live CD I could give to all my students so that they can practice the commands in Lab or at home. Does Helena also have Live CD version that would work. Is this what I need *www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=44 .

*ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/8/LinuxMint-8.iso

This one I downloaded and it is live CD.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
sdb1 is extended partition. Inside it there are two logical partitions - sdb5 and sdb6. You can see from the start and end address.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 164.7 GB, 164696555520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20023 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0xea28ea28

/dev/sda1   *           1        3239    26017236    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            3240        9828    52926142+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3            9829       12868    24418800    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4           12869       20023    57472537+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5           12869       20023    57472506   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x3ce9898b

/dev/sdb1               2       60801   488376000    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5               2       29869   239914678+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb6           33659       60801   218026116    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb7           29870       33496    29133846   83  Linux
/dev/sdb8           33497       33658     1301233+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order
Now is this okay Rahim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom