hdd S.M.A.R.T failure

Deadman

Journeyman
After booting with avg rescue disc i found my disk having smart failure though my data is still intact.
I have gone through the internet and did not find any solution to it.
I think the new drive will cost around 6k and do not wish to spend if an alternate solution is available.
is there any fix available.
My lap warranty just ended 2 mnts b4.
Asus k53sm sx010d

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there's nothing you can do about it other than changing your laptop HDD - take backup of important files on a extrenal HDD/Pen drivestop using the laptop, buy a new HDD - you can get one for as low as 2.5k.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
there's nothing you can do about it other than changing your laptop HDD - take backup of important files on a extrenal HDD/Pen drivestop using the laptop, buy a new HDD - you can get one for as low as 2.5k.

mine is 750GB so atleast 6k including service charges.

I hv read somewhere that utorrent decreases life of hdd due to number of read/writes.
I would keep the laptop on for abt a week during downloading.
May be thats the cause of failure.my usage period was 1708 hrs for 1yr approx.

I hv read somewhere that utorrent decreases life of hdd due to number of read/writes.
I would keep the laptop on for abt a week during downloading.
May be thats the cause of failure.my usage period was 1708 hrs for 1yr approx.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
even i have been getting notifications from windows about backing-up data, citing HDD health-deterioration (500G seagate momentus). its still under warranty, hence saving data quickly (thankfully, not much, as had formatted the laptop recently!), and will then head for RMA.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
SMART failure notifications are dead scary man...

all those GBs of priceless data, sourced from all over the net, gone in a flash... :shivers:

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
Sorry for the wrong info
my disk power on lifetime is 4208 hrs.
Thresh 50
value 01
worst 01
remaining 90%

there are dozens of movies, softwares and games.i m a bit worried now.
Can u guys tell me exact price of 750gig 2.5" hdd.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
Can u guys suggest a 1TB hdd. I think it wont be difficult to replace the disk myself.
But i dont hv any spare media to take backup so is there any way i can copy data from old disk to new one.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
get a 2.5 inch HDD USb enclosure [ Sata/IDE ] based on the HDD interface .. remove the old HDD, connect the new HDD and install OS+all oter necessary drivers. Put the faulty HDD into the enclosure , connect it with the laptop [ see if it needs any external power or not ] - start taking backup.

1TB laptop HDD costs ~4.8-5k and you can get a cheap casing for as low as 300 bucks.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
get a 2.5 inch HDD USb enclosure [ Sata/IDE ] based on the HDD interface .. remove the old HDD, connect the new HDD and install OS all oter necessary drivers. Put the faulty HDD into the enclosure , connect it with the laptop [ see if it needs any external power or not ] - start taking backup.

1TB laptop HDD costs ~4.8-5k and you can get a cheap casing for as low as 300 bucks.

thanks very much.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
B4 purchasing should i give hdd regenerator a try.anybody here used such kind of software.
I dont trust but i have read positive reviews abt it.

Top Bottom