HDD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tharkiman

Broken In
I have a Samsung HDD (SP0822N). Its capacity is 80GB but the computer is showing its capacity as 31.2GB. What happened to the rest of the space? Please help.

Third Eye

gooby pls
tharkiman said:
I have a Samsung HDD (SP0822N). Its capacity is 80GB but the computer is showing its capacity as 31.2GB. What happened to the rest of the space? Please help.

Have you created only 1 Disk (means C Drive) ?

OP
T

tharkiman

Broken In
Yes, i've formatted all the space/the entire drive.....the disk management just isn't showing the rest of the space, i've also tried with Norton Partition Magic... it's just showing 31.2GB of space..

S

SE><IE

open the cabinet and make sure there's "80 GB" written. Alternatively get your HD to yuor buddy's PC and then check.

OP
T

tharkiman

Broken In
Of course....there's 80GB written.... I've used it B4... this all happened after a windows crash (requiring reinstallation of OS) -> inaccesible harddisk (when installed windows on another HDD nd tried to access this 1) -> data recovery -> format

Initially Norton Partition Magic was showing two partitions (total space 80GB)... then i deleted all of them ... then formatted ..... result was 31.2 GB

Stalker

Padawan
^^try Acronics Partition Expert or Partition Magic..........they may detect the inaccessible disk space

rocksmart1

Right off the assembly line
Mr India Did U See The Jumper Setting Because In Jumper Setting U Can Restrict Ur Hdd To 32gb , So See It.good Luck.

dabster

In the zone
I too think the problem is due to Jumper setting....
Hey tharkiman Reply even if you have already figured out that.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
shashank4u said:
how can we restrict hdd capacity to 32 gb with jumper settings
plz let me know.

read the manual..
there is a jumper pin set.. which u can short using a jumper.. to enable smaller size.. this feature is for older boards which can recog new drivers

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
The jumper restriction was actually due to the fact that the FAT 32 file system cannot have a partition size of more than 32 GB:mad:.
It was actually enabled by a jumper setting for Windows 95/98 :)
Seagate HDDs have this setting by putting the jumper in fourth slot under jumper setting (Correct me if am wrong)
I dont know about other HDDs

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
make sure it is set to master or slave, jus chek whether u have 2 jumpers if yes remove one. use a win xp bootable disc and create partitions/format.
agree with rollercoaster.

Last edited:
OP
T

tharkiman

Broken In
ok i'll try this.....n tell u

Last edited:

jeetu

Broken In
32 Gb jumper setting was implemented because some old motherboards's bios cant reconize Hard Disk above 32 GB. This setting makes atleast a 80 gb hdd work with those motherboards despite losing more than 60% of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom