Hardy Gnome or Hardy KDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I got my hardy disc today, I think it is Gnome based, in your opinion is gnome is good or KDE 4 better?

is a KDE 4 based version available for download, in ubuntu or any other distro, maybe fedeora or OpenSuse, also out the 2 which is good a casual user who wants his computer to work with least hassles :?:

thank you.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
At this moment of time, KDE 3.5.x >>> KDE4.

ABout KDE vs GNOME, well IMO KDE.
If you do want to try KDE, I'd suggest you get Fedora 9 Live, the KDE version.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Ubuntu always works better with Gnome. :)
kde--->kde-3.5.9 is good.get distros like opensuse for kde :p

PS:good!go boy!nice improvement ;)

Oh yes :p

These posts may be useful for you
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87790#5
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87650
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87383
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84586

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I got my hardy disc today, I think it is Gnome based, in your opinion is gnome is good or KDE 4 better?

is a KDE 4 based version available for download, in ubuntu or any other distro, maybe fedeora or OpenSuse, also out the 2 which is good a casual user who wants his computer to work with least hassles

thank you.

Im using both Gnome and KDE4 on 64 bit Ubuntu HH. Definitely Gnome is much more stable. I seem to crash out of Konqueror if I use anything related to Flash and I have this weird sigserv error on shutting down . Although it just shows an error message and goes away. other than that I found KDE ot be ok.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ok installed, display is a mess - no surprise, but they have certainly made a huge huge improvement for multi booters like me, last timer around i had enter the sda & hdd nos. which is confusing, now they have a drop down giving the partition nos.

oh i also noticed they vista like translucent window borders :D thats surprising. never the less, booting is taking ~25 seconds from the time i press generic something to the login screen, something which u guys might be able to tell me is ok or no.

where can I find Intel 865gbf display drivers?

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Intel Drivers are in built into the kernel.. What exactly is the problem you are facing with the display?

kalpik

^^ Since compiz is running (he mentioned translucent windows), i believe the intel driver is already in use :)

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ Intel Drivers are in built into the kernel.. What exactly is the problem you are facing with the display?
screen resolution, 1280x1024 is not in the list, max is 1024x800, no crt, samsung syncmaster 740N lcd optimal reso of 1280x1024

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
First he needs to tell us what he means by "The display is a mess" :p
screen resolution, 1280x1024 is not in the list

arre koi hai, i can hardly read anything, my dad is wearing his specs and says ki 'mera number bad gaya hai' ... what should i tell him?

Last edited:

sourav123

Thinking Different

is a KDE 4 based version available for download, in ubuntu or any other distro, maybe fedeora or OpenSuse, also out the 2 which is good a casual user who wants his computer to work with least hassles :?:

thank you.

I must be imagining things. iMav using Linux!

If we can get such hardcore MS fans to Linux, then Linux is really the future!

P.S: On a second thought, Linux was always the future. :)

kalpik

^ Do "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" and select your resolutions there. Then logout and login again. Try if that changes anything.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
screen resolution, 1280x1024 is not in the list

arre koi hai, i can hardly read anything, my dad is wearing his specs and says ki 'mera number bad gaya hai' ... what should i tell him?

just one question, did u save the xorf.conf from ur last installation of gutsy.

Always backup xorg.conf, u just hav to overwrite to get things normal.

Btw if u want to configure it by point and click then go to :

• /usr/share/applications

• and launch "screen and graphics"

• choose the desired monitor and graphics driver :)

Hope it helps this way.

else there is manual way too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom