Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

outspoken

Broken In
SAMSUNG optical drive.After few months it starts ejecting the tray without your permission.

sorry for late 'bump'.
But I would like to repeat the above. I have had same problems with 2 Samsung drives bought over different times (over 2 years apart, they never seem to learn).

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

Am a newbie but my 2 words. [May seem off-topic, but I feel it is relevant for devices like CD/DVD drives, mobile phones]

All those who have CD/DVD drives, check if there are Firmware updates available. I have a Sony DRU 190A, initially made a lot of noise, did not recognize many low-cost CD-R's. After updating firmware it is much better now. [Heard it is a Lite-ON under the hood with Sony branding]. Try : *club.myce.com/ for information about new firmware etc. [But don't try any cross-swap business unless you know what you are doing!]

Same goes for Mobile phones that hang, see if a firmware update is available. When buying a reasonably expensive phone ( >Rs.9000 ) go for one where you can upgrade firmware at HOME from a computer and cable.

Well actually first search for firmware updates for any h/w device [and of course read changelog if any and upgrade only if you actually have a problem, a faulty upgrade can leave your hardware dead for good].

Different firmware versions can be the reason why people disagree on Phone hang issuse, CD drive problems etc.

Xeltos

Right off the assembly line
Please Oh Please do not buy Seagate HDD 500 gbs had to replace it 2 times
first time the infamous firmware bug hdd not getting detected in bios. complete 500 gb data loss.(damn I had everything arranged in categories, movies, songs,softwares, games, even wallpapers and images. sad ) Actually they had to just update the firmware but instead they gave me a new one.
second time uber slowdown while copying files. i was lucky to get any backup done.

tkin

Back to school!!
Please Oh Please do not buy Seagate HDD 500 gbs had to replace it 2 times
first time the infamous firmware bug hdd not getting detected in bios. complete 500 gb data loss.(damn I had everything arranged in categories, movies, songs,softwares, games, even wallpapers and images. sad ) Actually they had to just update the firmware but instead they gave me a new one.
second time uber slowdown while copying files. i was lucky to get any backup done.
I had updated the firmware and ever since it gave me no trouble at all, currently my HDD usage time is 5700hrs over a span of just a year.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, they are better - in terms of speed and reliability - but it depends upon your luck too :p

Nithu

I'm in 3D Grafix world!!!
I had updated the firmware and ever since it gave me no trouble at all, currently my HDD usage time is 5700hrs over a span of just a year.

yes it happened to me also:cry:.... now its working fine after that SD1A firmware update:-D:-D:-D...

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Um.. I bought a Seagate 500 GB today.:neutral:

I also had lost a host of data bcz of this junk, I replaced it and bought another one , rather another series ( forgot exact details) and even now it sometimes give me shock, sometimes it is not detected and sometimes strange noises, I have stopped using that system altogether, now that computer serves as addon computer since I shifted all my stuff to laptop and DVDs..

Keep off from Seagate (atleast for a while).

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

HP dx2080 series PC with C2D E4500 & 1GB RAM. Its in my office & it's slower than old P4 systems.

Most probably something wrong with softwares on that PC ..

tkin

Back to school!!
This is probably the first time I have been so disappointed(and lost nearly 60/-) due to a samsung product.

DO NOT BUY Samsung ODDs, apparently their quality control went into the drain, I just bought a samsung SH-S223C DVD burner(the ones available now) and it just went and produced coasters, one after another, failed nero DVD scan, failed to burn images etc, its going for a RMA now but something tells me this ain't over yet.

1. Customer Reviews: Utter Crap:
*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192
*img202.imageshack.us/img202/7749/20100225234317.jpg

2. User Experience:
*club.myce.com/f105/samsung-sh-s223b-sh-s223c-testing-observations-304482/

3. Performance: gah:

Notice anything interesting?
*img168.imageshack.us/img168/3062/20100225234326.jpg
Burning @ 8x, being burnt @ 4x
Gah:
*img687.imageshack.us/img687/6197/20100225234732.jpg

Utterly disappointed, next in line are Lite-ON drives, or may be i'll revert back to LG(it ran for a year before caving in)

DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG DRIVES, JUST READ THE CUSTOMER REVIEWS IN THE LINK I POSTED ABOVE
BTW- I double checked the SATA cable etc etc, the last LG drive was connected to that SATA port(it worked wonderfully for a year), so drive is going back.

Also take note this only applies for the Latest SH-S223C Drives from samsung, the earlier SH-S223B still rocks and is my favourite drive now.

And I added this drive here because my friend also bought this drive alongside me(due to my recommendation) and is facing a similar issue, so this could be faulty batch but its my duty to warn the users, if anyone is using this drive feel free to give your opinion.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Have you tried firmware update ?

BTW, I'm experiencing this kind of error with a asus DVD RW ( DRW-20B1ST ) drive and I replaced it for two times but one after another prob just showed up and the previous replacved drives were not even able to read DVD's. But this one can read DVDs but gives error after you record something with it - as it's out of warranty now there's nothing much I can do about it.

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ Have you tried firmware update ?

BTW, I'm experiencing this kind of error with a asus DVD RW ( DRW-20B1ST ) drive and I replaced it for two times but one after another prob just showed up and the previous replacved drives were not even able to read DVD's. But this one can read DVDs but gives error after you record something with it - as it's out of warranty now there's nothing much I can do about it.
Yeah, no avail.

HailStonE

Broken In
^.... My friend RMA'ed his Samsung writer 8 times & it still gives him trouble... Samsung quality is highly questionable nowadays...

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
^ mainly because they aren't true 80+ plus PSU's and don't give the rated output. Also known for burning out under loads (havent seen personally though) Much better to invest a little more and get the Corsair VX450W or Coolermaster "Real Power Pro" 460W, these are the real deal.

Stay away from extreme series !

Piyush

Lanaya
^ mainly because they aren't true 80+ plus PSU's and don't give the rated output. Also known for burning out under loads (havent seen personally though) Much better to invest a little more and get the Corsair VX450W or Coolermaster "Real Power Pro" 460W, these are the real deal.

Stay away from extreme series !
thnx bro
but suppose if i wish to buy new cpu and all
+ hd 5770 card
then how much power will make it work??
consider
amd phenom II x4 955be
asus 785 v-evo
and all that stuff........

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Yup, it's enough to handle two mid range GPU's in LSI or CF mode.

BTW, don't ever buy Cheap Techcom Speakers ... one gne bad yesterday night and it was only 7 month old...

Microtek Heritage + UPS- it's a really bad ****ing model ... the main battery is soldered inside ... so you will not be able to replace it ... and this sucking ups only sucks power from main outlet ... never gives a goddamn backup

ani1751

Broken In
I dont agree with anyone saying about Samsung ODDs. I firstly used samsung cd writer and it is still working cool, i used it for more than 6 years, at present i am using samsung dvd rw and it is working relly cool for last 2 years....no issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom