Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microtek UPS are very BAD also. On of my friend bought one. He charged it for 10 hours before using.
But it's battery is always in charging mode for first 1 hour. Now when the there is a power cut the UPS cannot provide backup & the comp just shuts off. He is using a 17 inch TFT with a intel celeron rig with only one HDD.

4T7

Journeyman
Wow, no one actually mentioned Asrock mobos? well they're plain suckerz and should be avoided at all costs

tkin

Back to school!!
Wow, no one actually mentioned Asrock mobos? well they're plain suckerz and should be avoided at all costs
Who are they? Never heard of this company:confused::rolleyes:.

Just Kidding,:D don't know about quality though:confused:

ambar.hitman

Journeyman
Microtek UPS are very BAD also. On of my friend bought one. He charged it for 10 hours before using.
But it's battery is always in charging mode for first 1 hour. Now when the there is a power cut the UPS cannot provide backup & the comp just shuts off. He is using a 17 inch TFT with a intel celeron rig with only one HDD.
+1, my Microtek UPS died within 6 months. Total crap company

D

Deleted member 26636

hey when i bought my 1st PC in 2004 i had an asrock m/b based on intel 845....this mobo lasted till october 2008...without any problems...i used a p4 & 512mb ddr ram with it...it was working fine but last year, at the end of october, the keyboard & mouse ports simply stopped working...just like that...one minute everything was fine & then my mouse & keyboard freezes...restarted the system, reconnected the hardware several times...nothing worked...neway i finally upgraded my PC though.

piyush2202

The Tech Enthusiast
Sony DVD-RW drives - They have low speeds and a terrible tray. My CD writing speed is just 40x when it is rated to be 52x on the drive. The disc tray keeps getting stuck very often.

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ afaik, there is a mechanism using which you can set speed. something like you need to keep eject button pressed for few seconds, the speed will be set to the full speed.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
ASUS DVD Writers : ( particularly DRW-20B1ST )

1. They does not comes with Sata Data & Power Cable even in the Boxed pcked version. 2 of my friends bought 2 writers so I know that.

2. There is no firmware update.

3. Drive has some detection issue.
As both asus DVD writers were not detecting by the sys. After countless restarts those drives got detected.

4. *One of those drives gone kaput after only one month.
Other drives detection time is very high so I think it has some issue too.

*The problem with the faulty drive is that sometime bios could not find it. Sometime it disappears from device manager & my computer & if you insert a CD the drive just hangs even @ bios level so booting through CD is not possible.

loktar

Broken In
ASUS DVD Writers : ( particularly DRW-20B1ST )

1. They does not comes with Sata Data & Power Cable even in the Boxed pcked version. 2 of my friends bought 2 writers so I know that.

2. There is no firmware update.

3. Drive has some detection issue.
As both asus DVD writers were not detecting by the sys. After countless restarts those drives got detected.

4. *One of those drives gone kaput after only one month.
Other drives detection time is very high so I think it has some issue too.

*The problem with the faulty drive is that sometime bios could not find it. Sometime it disappears from device manager & my computer & if you insert a CD the drive just hangs even @ bios level so booting through CD is not possible.

man i was just thinkin of gettin an asus dvd r ....... i have a lg dvd r which right now(bought 8 mnths ago) cannot read any dvd > 4.5 gb for last 2-3 months .... do not know why this is happening...... i upgraded the drivers; changed jumper settings;changed region code; cleaned the lens ; even rebooted windows but no use....... writes and reads normal 4.5 gb dvd perfectly though....
right now i can't play gta iv 'cause this stupid drive won't recognise the dvd... i was strictly recommending anyone against lg as couple of my friends have similar problems too........

now that asus is too being convicted, any suggestions which dvd-r i may try.......??

tkin

Back to school!!
man i was just thinkin of gettin an asus dvd r ....... i have a lg dvd r which right now(bought 8 mnths ago) cannot read any dvd > 4.5 gb for last 2-3 months .... do not know why this is happening...... i upgraded the drivers; changed jumper settings;changed region code; cleaned the lens ; even rebooted windows but no use....... writes and reads normal 4.5 gb dvd perfectly though....
right now i can't play gta iv 'cause this stupid drive won't recognise the dvd... i was strictly recommending anyone against lg as couple of my friends have similar problems too........

now that asus is too being convicted, any suggestions which dvd-r i may try.......??
Use a crack, its a pain to use the original DVD everytime to play game, I lost two DVDs this way.

^^ afaik, there is a mechanism using which you can set speed. something like you need to keep eject button pressed for few seconds, the speed will be set to the full speed.
No, it only happens with DVD video files, feature is called Riplock, almost every drive today has it, what he just stated is a fault issue because riplock only sets in with DVD video, used to decrease noise when watching DVDs.

Last edited:

soul_reaver

bored wit life in general
hey i have had a lg dvd writer for more than a year now and it works fine even thou i m using it wit a casin as an external... its written hundreds of dvds n still goin strong the casings fan thou makes some noise... sony ones i saw before were almost junk some even havin a strange problem of bein able to read original dvds.. not the local ones..

b_man

Broken In
I second the seagate hard drive fiasco...i was a fan, my first computer had a 4GB drive and it still works!!..that was 10 years ago when Pentium2 were rave!

I upgraded to a newer desktop and got a 200GB seagate HDD...crashed on me in 2 years, without warning and took all my data with me....all my art, my website, my media...everything that i had painstackingly collected over the years, right from using a grigging modem line for the internet to the current 64 kbps snail i use!!

Am gonna give WD a try now.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok - Again about ASUS DRW-20B1St Drive problem :

Sent one drive for replacement. Got a another one yesterday. No it was not new & they gave me a another repaired drive ( the s/n is different ). Hooked it up with the sys.
When I tried to copy some data from CD/DVD it's making some loud noise like (crat.........crat......). Checked the CD/DVD but they were not scratched. So I think there is a problem with the motor inside the drive.

Now I really don't want to get the faulty drive to Rashi peripherals every time & they
tends to give a repaired ( but ****ing bad as one I get ) drive. It's just a waste of my money & time. Now I'm really frustrated about using Asus DVD Writer. I will never buy a asus dvd drive in the future.

So once againg - Never buy a Asus DVD Writer Specially ( ASUS DRW-20B1St )

Arnab boss

In the zone
hey tkin I bought a Seagate 500 gb with ver 7200.11 in october 08. Is it safe or it falls in the list of faulty.
Mainly I use this for storing data and already it is 380 gb full so I am worried and starting having nightmares so help me bro....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I sent the ASUS dvd writer for replacemt to rashi peripherals. aftera week those ****ers at rashi told me that the model is not available & they cannot give me any other model.
But i told them they have given someone a new sony dvd writer for a faulty one. So they should give me one new asus drive. But they said they have no asus DVD writer in stock. ( ****ing liars ). WTF!. They said to me to bring a credit note. So I went back to the shop from where I've bought it. But they said they cannot give me a credit note as the serial number has changed ( as the DVD writer was already replaced one ). So I said to go someone from the shop with me. SO one guy in the shop agreed to go with me. We went to that ****ing rashi peripherals & voila that guy told them that the original bill was lost & told them to give me dvd writer but they told that they cannot give me any other DVD writer other than asus. SO they gave me 18x asus dvd writer ( even it was not new) & said they have no stock of asus dvd writer.

More about credit note part : the shopkeeper said me even if they somehow give me a credit note then it will take atleast two weeks to get my money back with it. As I was already annoyed enough with asus dvd writers I was not ready to wait that long. The main reason behind this is I've seen those ****ing rashi peripherals guys gave someone Rs. 300 less for a credit & gave someone a pld dvd writer for another credit note. SO I loose all the hope on them. Even if I gave them a credit note they may not return my money back.

So in the the summary - Asus tends to discontinue their dvd writers model too soon & does not want to give a new replacement dvd writer.I got a old 18x DVD writer for my 22x asus dvd writer. After 2 weeks of annoying & frustrating experience.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
hey tkin I bought a Seagate 500 gb with ver 7200.11 in october 08. Is it safe or it falls in the list of faulty.
Mainly I use this for storing data and already it is 380 gb full so I am worried and starting having nightmares so help me bro....

Update your hdds firmware to SD1A & you will be safe.

Last edited:

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
Another victim of Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 HDD :(

Seagate did picked up the HDD from my home to repair and restore my data.
But was sent back the same dead Hard disk

Sent it for replacment yesterday.

Hoping for a working harddisk now.

axxo

99.9% Idle
Another victim of Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 HDD :(

Seagate did picked up the HDD from my home to repair and restore my data.
But was sent back the same dead Hard disk

Sent it for replacment yesterday.

Hoping for a working harddisk now.

After my 250GB seagate HDD got failed I went to market to get 500GB HDD. The dealer insisted me very much to get the seagate model. I say No and bought a green WD 500 HDD.
I guess I have saved myself from seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom