HARD DRIVE - Needs Replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyCo

In the zone
The chkdsk log for this drive is attached.

If i try to copy anything to this drive (a couple of movies) it may copy 1 or 2 files, but after that my PC totally freezes. The num lock key works, but the mouse doesnt move, Ctrl Alt Del doesnt work, nothing. I have to restart using the power button.

Any idea what is happening ?

==========================

C:\>chkdsk d: /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is WD250.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.

244196000 KB total disk space.
230229128 KB in 35467 files.
24984 KB in 2558 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
143784 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
13798100 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
61049000 total allocation units on disk.
3449525 allocation units available on disk.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
disconnect the hard disk and reconnect again...use another molex(power) connector if possible..and see......if that doent help do a full format.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I tell you..dont do much experiment.It has bad sector..and for this best solution is get it replaced.

jatt

In the zone
re-partition will definetly solve your problem so re-partition your hard disk with any third party software and install windows with antivirus then check it out and write here.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
All of u are suggesting repartition / format ..

Isnt there any chkdsk type utility etc which can give me more details on what may be wrong ??

Coz i dont wanna format right now .. Difficult to backup 250GB data ..

If i can do that, then i can easily send it for replacement as WD picks it up from home.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
^^there is diagnostic tool for WD which chks for HDD problems, go to the site and choose ur model

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Once there is some bad sector, the first thing to do is to back up and get it replaced. Temp solutions may work temporarily but the bad sectors are going to increase over time.

OP
C

CyCo

In the zone
@zyberboy i tried the utility .. its useless .. just shows u about details of HDD and partition etc .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom