Hard disk problem-urgent help needed

sukesh1090

Adam young
guys i am using Samsung HD503HI 500GB hard disk.today i opened my cabinet for cleaning purpose.later when I fitted it back my HDD is not working correctly,my system won't boot and HDD is not shown in BIOS and the HDD also makes some weird tuk,tuk... sound.i checked evey connection in mobo and everything is fine.can it be repaired or gone?:cry:
Thank you.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I faced this issue and fixed it as well -

gently slap the HDD on the shiny metal plate side and shake it gently on air from left to right side and vice versa and see if it's working again.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
Thank you.i will check when i get my new rig.
Btw topgear brother what treament it is?
Can u tell me what could be the problem.

guys I am thinking of giving it for replacement in Samsung service centre.i asked the person their and she agreed to send it to their main branch in banglore even though i didn't have the invoice.how is Samsung service in India?is it good or what?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've No idea about Samsung service regarding HDD.

The HDD click click ( or something like that ) sound can be caused when the spindle inside can't spin or the read head touches data platters or two or more platters came in contact with each other or when dust particles stuck inside of the hdd componenets.

On gently stroking the drive sometime this types of issues can be fixed and there's no harm in giving them a try before sending for RMA - I've used this technique on a years old HDD and it actually worked ;-)

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
yes brother when i get my new rig then i will check this and if doesn't works then only i will send it for RMA.thank you.
actually i googled it and i saw in lots of website and forum, it was written that once the hard disk makes clicking sound then it is dead.so i thought of rmaying it but later my uncle told that he had the same problem but later it get corrected and he is still using that without any performance issues.

oh now i remember what caused this problem,to check my fans in the case i started and switched off my system from the power button on the case for 3-4 times like a noob:crazy::banghead:(even a noob wound't have done this)after that only HDD it is not working.so what could be the problem and solution?

casual_gamer

In the zone
could your psu have caused this? you are using a 1gb 6670 gpu with frontech 450w. i remember reading here that if psu's cant take load it can damage pc components. i could be wrong.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
yes you are right that psu can damage components but before doing that noob thing my HDD was working perfectly.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes brother when i get my new rig then i will check this and if doesn't works then only i will send it for RMA.thank you.
actually i googled it and i saw in lots of website and forum, it was written that once the hard disk makes clicking sound then it is dead.so i thought of rmaying it but later my uncle told that he had the same problem but later it get corrected and he is still using that without any performance issues.

oh now i remember what caused this problem,to check my fans in the case i started and switched off my system from the power button on the case for 3-4 times like a noob:crazy::banghead:(even a noob wound't have done this)after that only HDD it is not working.so what could be the problem and solution?

I don't think that could cause any ( click click noise type ) issue with HDD ;-)

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
so what say about that shutting down system continuously with the power button?i think it will hurt the HDD very badly.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
so what say about that shutting down system continuously with the power button?i think it will hurt the HDD very badly.

No It do not have any impact on hdd except for loss of unsaved data.

P.S. It's not a tv set which you can switch off just be turning off power switch right? :unsure:

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^ya... I know that its not a TV switch but at that time nothing else came to my mind and i continued that crazy thing.if it is not the reason for its failure then what else?what made it to fail without giving any warning and that too when i opened my cabby for servicing.

insaneYLN

In the zone
if it is not the reason for its failure then what else?what made it to fail without giving any warning and that too when i opened my cabby for servicing.

My friend, with due respect, your hard disk is an electronic & a mechanical component. There is no clear defined "age" parameter for such materials. Nothing can or will last forever.
I understand your discomfort & i empathise with you. Believe me, i too am a victim of such perplexing questions.

How old is your hard disk?

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
not even one year old.:shock:.if it won't work in my new rig then i will give it to the service center for replacement.but the thing is they will take ages to give it back.

insaneYLN

In the zone
Not even a year old? Now that is rather shocking. :shock:

Why do you say it would take ages to get a replacement from Samsung? Have you contacted their Customer Care Support (toll free numbers)?

Try this first -
Hdd warranty check SAMSUNG

Hope your troubles are short-lived.
:neutral:

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
thank you.i hope so.
website is showing i have warranty till aug 2013.so no problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom