hangin prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
1. If you want to test the RAM modules, use a better tool like Memtest (*www.memtest86.com), not just disabling the Quick boot mode !

2. Frequent rebooting/crashes, all point to a poor quality PSU. The 6600/6600GT gfx cards are [Bpower hungry[/B], and unless fed some good quality power expect to have trouble. No-name brand PSU's like Odyssey 500W (?!) are certainly asking for trouble. All your PC's are hanging in the midst of graphic intensive operations , which shows your 6600GT is starved of power.

3. 24-pin PSU's and motherboards are part of the new ATX 2.01 spec. The basic purpose of the additional 4-pins is explicitly to power the PCI-Express bus (approx ~ 75Watts), hence it is usually recommended to get a 24-pin PSU. Most motherboards have some form of circuitry inbuilt to redirect power from 20pin PSU's to these additional 4 pins. However there are still chances that it could be underpowered. A Powersafe 400W 24-pin PSU is the cheapest good option available for around Rs. 1.4K. And whatever you do, DO NOT use those damn 20 to 24-pin converters ! You'll do more harm than good with those.

Also check that whether u have a strange coloured (pink or green) 4 pin connector coming from ur PSU . U can attach this 4-pin connector to ur 20 pin connector to make a 24 pin connector.
Please be very *very* careful with this. Even on 20-pin PSU's, there is an extra 4-pin ATX 12v connector that is designed to supply power exclusively to the CPU. This has 2 x 12v lines, and 2 x Ground lines (usually 2 yellow, 2 black wires). DO NOT plug this into the additional 4-pins - they are NOT the same ! The additional 4-pins will consist of 4 lines - 3.3v, 5v, 12v and Ground.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
Crazy_Eddy wrote:
Please be very *very* careful with this. Even on 20-pin PSU's, there is an extra 4-pin ATX 12v connector that is designed to supply power exclusively to the CPU. This has 2 x 12v lines, and 2 x Ground lines (usually 2 yellow, 2 black wires). DO NOT plug this into the additional 4-pins - they are NOT the same ! The additional 4-pins will consist of 4 lines - 3.3v, 5v, 12v and Ground.

@Crazy_Eddy : Thanks man for 'pin'-pointing things,that i missed.
Also regarding that green or pink coloured 4pin connector:
this connector will get itself attached to 20pin connector itself, it's a kind of intrlocking that u wil find in power cable for 1.44 fdd.
also if u need to get a new psu go for trusted ones like antec or vip or powersafe.
PCI-e is their cup of tea, not others like intex and frontech.

Happy diwali !

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
^ Yep, I understood what you meant :)
Indeed, there are 24-pin PSU's that have a 20+4pin type connector. You can detach the additional 4 pins for use in a 20-pin system, or simply "slide" it on (as you mentioned, interlocking) and it becomes a 24-pin connector.
Just cautioned others, since many people mistake the 4-pin ATX 12v connector for these additional 4-pins.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Didn't see this thread before. Random crashes and restarts are often difficult to diagnose because 1) it's hard to say exactly under what circumstances they happen; 2) there are several possibilities - PSU, RAM, RAM seating, heatsink installation, drivers, etc etc etc.

@hummer : It's possible that your PSU is the culprit. Printed PSU wattage ratings are not at all reliable except perhaps for the top-grade ones. And i-box (i-ball) PSUs are certainly not top-grade.

I had some bad experiences when I used i-boxes for assembling computers for friends and clients. So I dissected their PSUs and found that the design and the construction are poor. I think their cabinets have a good finish and are nice for their price class, but their PSUs suck.

@Rollercoaster : Lack of the extra 4 pins by itself is probably NOT the reason for your problems. Those 4 pins simply provide additional wires in parallel for the 12-volt supply and earth. It's desireable to have a 24-pin connector, but a 20-pin type should work fine too, especially if you're using a good PSU, which you seem to have.

There are many possibilities. It could be your graphics card or RAM, or they may simply be not seated firmly. Try giving them a firm push - with the power off, of course. Or remove them and insert them again.

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
pim pom said:
Lack of the extra 4 pins by itself is probably NOT the reason for your problems. Those 4 pins simply provide additional wires in parallel for the 12-volt supply and earth. It's desireable to have a 24-pin connector, but a 20-pin type should work fine too, especially if you're using a good PSU, which you seem to have.
Like I had mentioned earlier, the additional 4-pins have 4 different rails of 3.3v, 5v, 12v and a Ground line, not merely 12v and ground (if it is, you're talking about the wrong set of 4-pins - the ATX 12v connector).
And yep, most motherboards make do with 20-pin PSU's as they often redirect the power from the 20-pins to those additional 4-pins. But those additional 4-pins were created for a reason - to power the PCI-Express bus, as clearly stated by the updated ATX spec on power supplies. You can read up more about it : *www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

OP
H

hummer

Journeyman
i already asked fr a 24 pin power supply and nobody seems to know antec or vip. ll need2 go 2 cal or del to buy .

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
For Antec 24-pin PSU's , get in touch with Antec India/IT Depot - Chennai, or Prime ABGB - Mumbai.
Powersafe 24-pin PSU's should be easily available from Mumbai, Pune etc.

OP
H

hummer

Journeyman
there is some thing else which i m thinkin. underclockin the gfx card. wont it reduce the power reqirement ??? till i get my antec psu. wha do u guys say?? is it feasible

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
wo, wo, why u wanna do it for just rs. 1.5K
imagine if, i say IF, something goes wrong then...
now power suply or a 6600 card?

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
Well until you get your PSU , yes no harm in "unloading" the system by - disconnecting extra fans, disconnecting extra hard disks/optical drives, downclocking your card.

In general strip your system down to a basic, no-frills system. If your hanging problems go away, it would clearly point to your PSU.

OP
H

hummer

Journeyman
ya after downclokin fewer hangs and very far b\w. already disconnected fan. now the core: 169MHZ and mem:271mhz . till how much can i downclock safely. or should i switch 2 onboard which is ati xpress 200. can discon optical drive and HDD. don want2.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
Guys guys guys....

I really understand the concept of '4 pins'

I understand that they are there to provide extra power to the pci-e

But consider this... the max load power supply for 6600gt is only rated 350w in the manual by xfx and i have a 500w power supply.

And consider this also.. when playing DVDs the gfs card in not under load.. so if the trouble was due to lack of power then the system should not crash.. ok but it does so most cirtainly it is not the power supply...

Anyways it mostly seems that either the problem is with the motherboard or the cpu 939 socket... do u have any idea about this kind of think... may be one of the cpu socket grips are loose or something... i have found a lot of people on the net in other forums who have similar config and having the same problem...

i dont have the exact resources to do that extencive a reasearch but guys if any of u can search some other forums then please do

anyways i will surly try and get a 24pin psu but it is hard to find oen here in dehradun.....

keep posted

Rollercoaster

Check these links
*www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/

*www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/?o=260

This is a damn long thread.. could only go throught a few pages...

guys how do i find the exact rated timings of my ram modules....

Company - eRAM
Make HYNEX - 553A
Model HY5DU121622CTP-D43
i suspect it could be trouble with the ram timings

The 1st critisizm i have seen for A8N series
*www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/?o=4320
Do u agree??

another
*www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t11093.html

Guys ... seriously... is this mobo overrated.... :-(

Here the solution is OFF Hardware Firewall????
*forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1699178&enterthread=y

My Got the net is filled with A8N SLI blues...

Some guys processure melted... literally...

I am just adding on as i am finding stuff

*www.techsupportforum.com/computer/topic/71349-1.html

Lately i discovered another problem...
This mobo has two lan cards so i connectedmy old computer and my laptop to it....
Guess what anything connected to the nVidia lan(if both are connected) does not work..
It gets coneced at 100Mbps but one of the link does not work.. after a lot of fraustarton and cable cutting and joining i figured that all teh packets were going in on only one connection like if i ping both LAn terminals then both packets goto only one connection and ofcourse it doesnt find the reciever.... i dontknow if i am getting paranoid but i think i want to throw this mobo out if i have to have a few breaths of peace.. man i just invested my hard earned money on this dream gadget....
*forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t7383.html

Man just type in "a8n sli reboot problem" in google and u will get the idea.....

*forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17447769&page=12

dude.. why o why didnt i search before i bought it...
*forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17447769&page=12

anyways i am gonna stop now.. this is no use.. noone out there seems to have a clue to pinpointing the problem...

See if anyone of u can do anything..

i think digit needs to run a special troubleshooting article on A8N SLI

Rollercoaster

Hey could anyone change the topic name of this thread so more people see and reply.... this one doesnt pinpoint..

OP
H

hummer

Journeyman
i dont hv ne probs in changin the topic name. i started the topic due to probs in my comp . now since it has become a considerable thread its better to change it so that users don miss the thread . how to change the topic name.

Rollercoaster

i dont knw may be edit ur 1st message or write to the moderators ...
Make the name like "Asus A8N Series Problems" or something

did u find out anything .....

i wen to my vendor and he says he has no 24pin psu and says they will cstart coming with the next get cabinates called BTX...

HE doesnt even know 'antec' and says that he wont be able to proide warreney as there is no distributer in dehradun

i dont knwo what to do....

I ran Memtest all night for 35passes and no errors...
so i guess it is the mobo after all ot the psu

i sure hope it is the PSU

OP
H

hummer

Journeyman
i tried to find. mine is fr sure a psu prob. ram ok. mobo ok. nobody knows about antec here. in a fix . disconnected the gfx card . runnin fine but gfx card wasted atleast fr now. i need 2 get that psu...... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . now how can i check my gpu temp???? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Rollercoaster

it is given in the nvidia display properties.. under temperature monituring

I have the same problem here in dehradun noone knows antec and i gave my vender the distri's number in new delhi and he enquired but the 480w psu from antec is for 4000 bucks man to costly

and the 380w is 2000 i also dont know what to do

he enquired more and found out 24pin psu from Frontech for some 1000 rs

anyways i bought a new psu (20 oin) as my vender said that all systems run fine on he 20 pin psu and i thought what the heck i will try

now on monday i will make my vender talk with the rashi people and ask then about the recomended psu thay have sold with this kind of config systems

OP
H

hummer

Journeyman
i hv aquired antec 500w smps. now too some times it hangs. but the diff is u can use ctrl alt del to get out of the hang. i was running serious sam 2 demo in 1024*768. and doom3 at 1024*768 high quality,

OP
H

hummer

Journeyman
i hv aquired antec 500w smps. now too some times it hangs. but the diff is u can use ctrl alt del to get out of the hang. i was running serious sam 2 demo in 1024*768. and doom3 at 1024*768 high quality,
ne idea. i instaleed latest drivers frm nvidia.
help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom