Half Life 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan

In the zone
Suppose tommorow VALVE relases half life 3 all over the market.

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? WRITE YOUR THOUGHTS HERE TO WIN YOURSELF A COPY OF HALF LIFE 3 WHENEVER IT COMES...

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
So hummm....let me guess in a way ur a Valve Representator or Some big Con man or a Big Hoaxer :? :shock:

If tomorrow Valve does decide to release Half Life 3 then what?????
The people who want it will buy it and those who dont will carry on with their daily life.....As simple as that :wink:

P.S: Could u plzzz tell me what was the point exactly of this thread????
Also Are u gonna start a new thread on "What if tomorrrow ID Decides to Release Doom 4????"

No hard feelings bro :)

S

sunnydiv

yeh weak, while you are at it, why dont u imagine billy boy buys out ID and valve
and half life 3 and doom4 are the same thing

half doom 3/4

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
OMG! If they release it tomm there would be a mad mob and a huge stampede and millions of people would die....what crap!

thats what I think of this thread too... Whats the point of it.....sheesh.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@Rohan: What would happen if HL3 were to hit markets tomorrow? I will go buy it! :D Well, as allwyndlima said, those that buy it will do so, and those that wont - wont. As simple as that. Plus, either you're with Valve or VUG or Milestone Interactive, or you are going to sponsor a copy for all of us here, I dont know which. :D So you see, there's not much of a point to this.

@Everyone: Well, no point in locking/deleting this thread, so what we might very well do is to turn it into a HL3 speculation thread and use it for a genuinely good purpose. Wotsay? I'll start.

First off, when do you think HL3 will even be announced "officially"? I mean, come on, its not like Valve has any other game in its repertoire, and its not that much of a secret that they dont have anything else to work on except HL3, considering how HL2 had a cliffhanger ending. Would it hurt so much to say that they are indeed working on HL3, but cant give out approximate release dates?

Plus, I dont know if Valve is currently working on anything else except the ATI levels, although I hope for God' sakes that the stories in the single-player episodic contents does not "augment" the HL storyline, because if it did, then millions are gonna get cheated out of understanding the real story, just like how people were cheated out of the real story of the Matrix trilogy because they couldn't see The Animatrix or play Enter The Matrix. Not everyone can afford to jump to an X800 just to get the ATI levels.

Next up, the story itself. Well, HL2 had a mother of a cliifhanger ending that left me going "Wha? Who? Whatthe...? AARGH!" No boss monster, not one. I was expecting to at least go head to head with the Combine Advisor. I wonder if he turns out to be a monster in HL3, apart from the weird things you see while you're moving up the Combine Citadel in "Our Benefactors" Also having said, one of the Vortigaunt's comments are interesting:

"For once the lesser master lay defeated. We knew that the greater must also fall in time."

Its obvious that the Combine were enslaving the Xen races with the effect of the chains and shackles on the Vortigaunts and on Nihilanth (the lesser master, who was also bound to Combine slavery) So, where would the events of HL3 unfold? On Earth? Well, the Combine grip on the planet has been broken and there will just be random civil wars breaking out here and there among the Cities. So does that mean Gordon Freeman would travel to the Combine homeworld to deal with the threat directly? Or would he waste time on Earth helping the rebels and travelling from City to City looking for a teleporter that would transport him to the Combine home planet, now that he destroyed the Dark Energy portal in HL2. What happens to Dog, Dr. Issac Kleiner, Dr. Eli Vance, Dr. Judith Mossman, Barney Calhoun, Col. Odessa Cabbage and most importantly, Alyx Vance? Ideas, anyone?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Now shall i continue....let me make this one on a shorter note....well just the thought of Hl3 brings me memories of HL3 and Doom 4 War again.....but this time round i just hope that Hl3 Becomes much more realistic and hell same low Compatiblity requirements as before (well sorta like asking for a Family pack Ice Cream in a Candy Bar Box pack :lol:).....ok so the storyline now...err well this is the tricky but the best part for Valve and dosent need to be discussed on much as these guys know what they design and hoping this time round too it turns up in an Excellent way :wink:

Oh the Ati levels that Valve is currently working on.....Hope they have a plan to provide some free X800's for those poor souls who crave for testing these levels :lol: :lol:

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
I wonder how long the exclusive ATi levels would remain exclusive. And if the levels give away some part of the story, Valve will be bound to release them to the general gaming public, albeit, without the bells and whistles. Considering how closely Valve prefers to work with its fan base, I dont think Valve will be making a smart descison by antagonizing the same fan following.

Even if Valve decided not to release the ATi levels to people other then high-end card owners, wont it possible for the modders to rip out the high-definition content and replace them with general HL2 textures and content that would enable the levels to run on the. say, FX 5200? Hell, if the "Scene" could rip out the Steam shit, then they could bloody well do this also.

About HL3, it's hard to speculate. What I am wondering is that whether we will see HL3 first or HL2 expansion packs in the lines of OF or Blue Shift? It's very possible that Valve may take this approach to further the story without having to give away the whole plot that will be the base of HL3, at the same time, gathering some more millions.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I would personally welcome something along the lines of BS and OF, but what would we have for HL2, except a take on BS with Barney's version of the events of HL2 or an Alyx's version of the events. In either case, I am sure they wont be as interesting. What made OF and BS so endearing was that they were tied into the main storyline without any interaction at all between the stories, so while the main storyline remained the same, the storylines/plots for the individual games remained nowhere near the same, which as you would have realized, is impossible to pull off in HL2 because of the level of interaction between the characters.

And technically, according to your logic, shouldn't we have seen a modder's take on HL:S with the Source engine, the hi-res textures and the Source models for the players out already or at least be in development? If the modders rip out the high definition content and then allow it to run on other cards, then Valve will stop working with those modders and they would literally end up being shunned by the community, like how the DNF mod was pulled. You remember that, dont you? :D

However, like we agree, if they resort to let the ATI levels "augment" the story, then there would be a hue and cry like nothing we have ever seen and Valve will literally lose face. Considering the fact that the Hardware Survey updated as of January 17, 2005 shows less than 1.5% of the total number of users playing on an X800. :D

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Actually I was thinking more on the line of the modders who were working on the "scene". These guys won't give a heck about what Valve thinks. The only thing they will be looking forward to is to rip the game and release it ASAP. I wont be surprised if I see the ATi levels on p2p networks, courtsey, Hoodlum or DEViANCE or Razor911.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Well, guys like Deviance, etc. are just crackers/rippers, so while they might be able to get the content out of the Steam security and distribute it via P2P, you can bet that it will still require an X800 to run. :lol: Thats because these guys aren't graphic designers/texture artists, programmers, etc. and they wont have the knowledge to recreate a lower quality version of the ATI levels that would run on other cards. And even if they did, they dont have the time to dedicate to such a task, because of the sheer number of warez they deal with. When the ATI levels are out, it will take a modding community some time to rip the content, revamp it to accommodate lower quality video cards (like the DX8.1 water reflection patch) etc. And only a true, serious modder would do that. Of course, you can imagine what Valve would do to that modder when he/she releases it on the public via normal delivery methods instead of via Steam. :D

gamefreak14

Journeyman
techno_funky said:
hmmm would go down to the market
buy the game
install it
ENJOY!!!!
Techno, you forgot - connect, and wait till their 'authentication' gets the better of you. Unless, ofcourse, you have a T1 connection @ home.
Well if HL3 releases, then ValVe will realise that Steam sucks, that online distribution of games is pathetic and that the consumer must be given a hard copy of whatever he buys. Purchasing a game is not like making a purchase in an MMORPG game with digital currency.
Wish they'd all respect consumers and stop being paranoid about their creation, which any casual pirate wouldn't care to pirate.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
OMFG! You guys should check out the HL2: Substance mod. I just got a look at the mod here:
*halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Substance_V084_Mod_Full_Install;38330

Here's more info:

Description:
HL²:SUBSTANCE re-choreographs the original single player campaign, John Woo style: intensive new action and higher challenges makes it the best choice for HL2 veterans who found the "vanilla" version either too short or easy. Squad tactics and accuracy are actually required now: see what the G-Man meant by "a battle you have no chance of winning" (because you didn't submit, then, right?)! A whole new set of weaponry is also available as well as an advanced friendly-fire system,a skinpack and a sound addon to further personalize your second visit to City 17. Welcome to the real Substance, what the action is made of!

New features:

- 71 edited levels: the whole HL2 game! Older levels have been revisited for more challenge and performance.

- New weapons and alternate firemodes by Jerry,author of the SP Enhanced Mod: now include the SG550 Sniper Rifle, Battle Gravity gun, Conversion Bugbait, Napalm launcher, Covenant grenades, Desert Eagle, Electric Crossbow, Dual function RPG, Halo Pistol, M3 auto shotgun, M249 Jackhammer, Napalm clusters, FN P90 rifle, Proximity Headcrabs, Snarks, XM-8 Assault Carbine, RPG-armed airboats and more! Press the "Reload" button to switch between alternate firemodes.

- Friendly Fire Mod v.02 by Adam Hines: allies now suffer injuries from your hits and even turn against you! Don't miss the new Bullet time!

I just added this to my download manager queue.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
gamefreak14 said:
techno_funky said:
hmmm would go down to the market
buy the game
install it
ENJOY!!!!
Techno, you forgot - connect, and wait till their 'authentication' gets the better of you. Unless, ofcourse, you have a T1 connection @ home.
Well if HL3 releases, then ValVe will realise that Steam sucks, that online distribution of games is pathetic and that the consumer must be given a hard copy of whatever he buys. .

i dont think techno is bit worried abt the authantication part , no one is ....

reason????? well everyone knows that. :D

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmmm, I was thinking all about HL2 again this afternoon, and have added a bit more info as to what I'd like to see in HL3:

-Obviously a clearer, cogent end to the story
-If the game is gonna alternate between Earth and the Combine homeworld, then I'd like to see more variety in the locations, like an Arctic/tropical setting.
-I want to see rain in this game, please! That would make it so realistic.
-The ability to steal Combine vehicles, like their armored trucks or their flying thingies.
-The ability to use radios, as in OF to communicate with the rebels and to maybe call in an airstrike. :D
-I wanna be able to steal and use the EMP mines that the Combine use against me. Imagine you set up a trap with them and while a Combine truck full of them comes along, BOOMTOWN! :D
-I want this game to be thrice as big as HL, as Valve originally promised for HL2.
-I wanna see more powerful enemies, people armed with their OWN GGs or being strong enough to hurl extremely large objects at me, considering I have the super-charged GG along with me when the G-Man takes me away from the top of the Combine Citadel.
-I wanna see more character interactions, maybe even a major character dying, like Eli Vance, etc. :D -Of course, I want Lamarr to serve some good use, like Gollum at the end of LOTR or something like that. :D
-I wanna see Cpl. Adrian Shepard. Why didn't I see him in HL2? Didn't the GMan "reserve him for later" too? (Expansion, maybe?)
-I read this somewhere and liked it insanely. A gun with a flare launcher, so you can light a propane tank or you can shoot it at a zombie so that it goes screaming "My God! Why me?" and walks straight into a gas cloud. :lol:

Man, I can think up so many more stuff. Wonder how many of these would actually make it in. Also, I found something funny while surfing, hope this might make you laugh as much it made me. :D
*www.deviantart.com/view/13454917/

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Finally a good mod for HL2. Now, bullet-time would be intresting, especially with that sort of physics engine. Try it out Prof and tell us whats it like, the weapons in special.

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
sunnydiv said:
yeh weak, while you are at it, why dont u imagine billy boy buys out ID and valve
and half life 3 and doom4 are the same thing

half doom 3/4

Or imagining you talk a bit freely? It's stranger actually! Change your philosophy...

[lokesh]

Journeyman
Oh wow...a thread on HL3...i was searching all the time...great...

So guys do you think HL3 will be unveiled at E3 which is coming up this May ??

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
HL3 at E3 this year in May? Hmm, that's pretty doubtful. Maybe they might just announce that they are working on HL3, but there might not be anything in the way of a tech demo, because Source probably isn't that modified enough to warrant a showcase at the E3. What would most probably happen is that Valve would confirm HL3 independently of E3 sometime later this year, and probably next year at E3, they would showcase the modified Source engine along with a tech demo of HL3, followed by a release in early to mid 2007. That is how I guess the roadmap of HL3 would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom