[Guwahati Members] List & Best ISP?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Hey, I am from Guwahati and was curious on how good is online gaming on mNet?

Very good. You will get sub 50 pings to Indian servers and around 100ms ping to the Singapore SEA servers. Dota 2 and CSGO can be easily played to full extent. Other games will also work fine.

hardsurfer

Right off the assembly line
Recently switched to the local isp "M-net". Their service is absolutely brilliant. No downtime at all & great pings to all servers. Consistent speed throughout the day, every day of the week. Definitely recommended.

Here's a speedtest:

*www.speedtest.net/result/4404803379.png

Usually pings are a bit lesser but there was a storm outside when I did this.

I have been using MNET for a couple of months now. Mostly I have nothing to complain about. Infact when I first took their connection - 15 gb/month unlimited gold plan AND unlimited happy hours night plan, the first two months it felt great and I had no occasion to complain. From the third month onwards latency began to suffer. Not all the time but sometimes for brief periods, say 30 mins or 1 hour out of 12 hours. Thats fine, I won't ***** about that but what annoys me is most of their staff are not aware of how to resolve technical queries or advise other than suggest to restart my router. The side I live in is Beltola and of late once every month the connecting tower or site here goes down and internet services are not resumed soon. It can go down for an entire day, which is also tolerable but on such days nobody will even take the courtesy to answer your call and tell you whats going on. If you are lucky someone will answer your phone and tell you what you can easily guess. Technical support is next to non-existent. There is a technical head called Raj. On most days he seems to be the sincere one but at times he too can get dodgy, most probably because of the work pressure on him. The only reason I am saying all this is to give an honest review of how things are. I have had bsnl in the past and everyone knows how that service is. for the lack of better options MNET does seem to be best but that is only because of LACK OF BETTER OPTIONS.

To know what kind of a surfer I am - I download heavily. All kinda of media files. I also play games. For games like planetside2 and H1V1 (online rpg fps) this connection isn't always the best option. Any game that requires you to connect to foreign servers, this isn't the connection for you. Torrent download or download in general is upto the mark, but HQ youtube videos may buffer a while.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
[MENTION=317932]hardsurfer[/MENTION]

Sad to hear that. Me & a few of my friends who use it(we live in Rajgarh/GS Road area) don't face that many problems. I think you should give their office a visit and lodge a serious complaint.

Any game that requires you to connect to foreign servers this connection isn't always the best option.

Well official Dota2 and CSGO servers that are located in Singapore give around 100 MS ping. For CS yes it's on the high side but for dotA2 its manageable. I guess H1z1 and Planetside 2 need you to play on EU servers which actually will be harder to play for us(200+ ping on them) & hence the problem.

Well thing is there's no better connection in Guwahati that gives us a better ping then this. Atleast none I'm aware of. Haven't yet tried Rajdhani Wireless yet(they're not available in Rajgarh area)

choudang

Padawan
from last one year, i am looking for a good broadband service in Jalukbari (Near AEC) area, but still not able to find out one. asked m-net, don't know why its become a suicidal thought to contact m-net. 6000 only for antenna excluding rest. i used to stay only for weekends and other NE holidays. that person quoting me amount near to 10K. applied bsnl and they yet to check the feasibility. my only hope now is Aircel 3G

hardsurfer

[MENTION=317932]hardsurfer[/MENTION]

Sad to hear that. Me & a few of my friends who use it(we live in Rajgarh/GS Road area) don't face that many problems. I think you should give their office a visit and lodge a serious complaint.

Well official Dota2 and CSGO servers that are located in Singapore give around 100 MS ping. For CS yes it's on the high side but for dotA2 its manageable. I guess H1z1 and Planetside 2 need you to play on EU servers which actually will be harder to play for us(200+ ping on them) & hence the problem.

Well thing is there's no better connection in Guwahati that gives us a better ping then this. Atleast none I'm aware of. Haven't yet tried Rajdhani Wireless yet(they're not available in Rajgarh area)

Hi. Sorry for the late response. Thanks for your condolences and hope to get some more lol. Of late MNET's ping has become even worse than before. I'm guessing this happens mostly during the prime evening hours, when their customer support is conveniently unavailable. Here is my 15 GB unlimited plan which should be giving me upto5 mbps (LOL).
*www.speedtest.net/result/4820149524.png

Mind you this is at their recommended server (aircel Chennai).

I'm happy to know that you atleast you and your friend are getting good service from them. You are correct, the games I play are on EU servers and hence the ping is generally high but like you said 'it's manageable' when it's upto 200 ms but I get UPTO 62000+ ms which is ridiculous. But that aside in general even casual surfing is slow. The speed test I did above itself took more than 3 minutes to complete after the page took 5 minutes to load, and we're talking about a simple webpage with a java interface. It would seem that in order for me to have a better connection I'd have to move to another part of the country. :-?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
[MENTION=317932]hardsurfer[/MENTION] This it he speedtest I got during the last time I was home: Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Most probably it might be a one off thing. Definitely try & get their guys to visit your place & get the issue fixed maybe? Good chance it may be issue with alignment of the antenna

hardsurfer

[MENTION=317932]hardsurfer[/MENTION] This it he speedtest I got during the last time I was home: Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Most probably it might be a one off thing. Definitely try & get their guys to visit your place & get the issue fixed maybe? Good chance it may be issue with alignment of the antenna

Hi techfreak. Thanks for your responses again. People did come and check my antenna etc. The thing is sometimes and very rarely mind you, the speed is just right, like international standards (which I have experienced) but most of the time while I'm playing games, everything is going alright and suddenly the ping becomes bad, if I stop playing for a while and surf regular, it gets to normal again. I suspect they throttle the speed. The one reason I chose Mnet and not Rajdhani was because Rajdhani is famed to be speed throttler and Mnet not, in fact the first 2 months of my connection I faced no issues at all. I suspect that after they studied my net usage they started throttling my usage. I also play killing floor online and that lags so bad you can't imagine. And that isn't even as Massively as planetside2 which made guiness world record of thousands of players online at the same time. I will have to invest in organizing my own company that's an ISP to get better internet connection out here, no seriously I wanna do that some time, just need proper technical guidance from someone who could be my partner.

bubusam13

Human
i=I m spending Rs 1088 per month for ****ing 6GB Airtel dongle internet connection. Never download any movie, just surfing or about 3 to 5 mp3 songs a month. The 6GB does not even last a month. I need some replacement. Please suggest one.

CAGE

Hey Guys...I live nearby Basistha Chariali. So can anyone please refer some good unlimited broadband connection available in my area. BSNL Wimax 750 home UL is a good option for me but the officials are saying that new hardwares were not sent from there HQ. Rajdhani & Mnet installation charge is too expensive for me. Catla, didn't liked their tarrif plans coz little costly compared to others. Railwire isn't available in my area yet. Aircel 4g LTE plans are not satisfactory. To me last resort is BSNL or Amtron I guess. So please help me out!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I guess Wimax is the only option you have left. Last I checked Amtron plans were somewhat expensive. Not exactly sure about present tarrifs.

Personally I'd suggest Mnet but as the installation charge is so high you won't have any other choice than the wimax by BSNL

TechnoBOY

Padawan
I guess Wimax is the only option you have left. Last I checked Amtron plans were somewhat expensive. Not exactly sure about present tarrifs.

Personally I'd suggest Mnet but as the installation charge is so high you won't have any other choice than the wimax by BSNL
Can wimax useful while raining?

Last edited:

rajdeep108

i also faced the same question when i shifted to guwahati last summer in 2015. i hunted down all the service providers and even hunted down the users of various isps and asked their review. originally i was using bsnl wimax in my earier city, but when i moved to guwahati , i found that it was impossible to get a wimax connection in guwahati as whenever i visited bsnl panbazar office or bsnl diapur exchange or even panjabari sde office, they all had one answer ready and that was, no wimax device was available. i waited 6 months from august 2015 to january 2016 but bsnl still did not have wimax device. however i did get cal from someone in bsnl office aksing me 5 k for providing a bsnl device. it was all clear to me by then. now i had to decide if i wanted to pay the bribe and get the connectio which is only 512 kbps and risk giving more bribe as and when i needed help from bsnl. hence i dropped the idea and started looking for private providers. i needed a minimu 1 mbps line within 1 k and unlimited usage. i shortlisted railwire, catla, sity, rajdhani , amtron and mnet. i had chat with the users and found that mnet and railwire users were the most satisfied. hence i called up both mnet and railwire for an installation. the only bar i has was , who ever could instal it first , i would go for it. railwire waa the first to visit and but they delayed by giving girlfriend issue of the technician, lol. the next day mnet visited and within 1 hour my 1 mbps line was up and running. though railwire would have costed me rs 2000 nly for setup, i did not go for it as i was sceptical about the after sales service vis a vis the girlfriend problem of the technician. mnet costed me 6600 installation and 200 extra as comission for installation( though off the official records) but the best thing is that mnet provides 1 mnps @ rs999 every inch of a second, always. so from my past experience with bsnl and others , i think mnet is the best as on date.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
That's quite some thing [MENTION=321996]rajdeep108[/MENTION]. I don't understand why BSNL guys always refuse to get us a wired line.

I also had wimax and was one of the first users in Guwahati. But as months passed the speed started dropping a lot. Seems they didn't upgrade their backend line for the Internet or something. Net just wouldn't work. When I complained they would send a technician within the week but much couldn't be done even after repeated visits.

But I got Mnet in Summer of 2014 & it's been working well ever since. If any problems were had calling their CC would fix the issue in a short while.

I've heard quite good things about the Rajdhani broadband too but yet to use it extensively. The Internet at their café is blazing fast though.

BlueBee

Broken In
I'll be moving into Guwahati city next month. Want a wireless WiFi home connection like MTS. Is there any such ISPs? Rates should be Below or ~1K

Desmond Gray

I have been using Mnet from July 2015
My plan is 1mbps unlimited for 999rs.
But i get around 5mbps of download speed
Here is the screenshot of Speedtest
Screenshot (4).jpg

And here is the screenshot of Ping to different CSGO servers
Screenshot (5).jpg

sreyashkashyap

I have been using Mnet from July 2015
My plan is 1mbps unlimited for 999rs.
But i get around 5mbps of download speed
Here is the screenshot of Speedtest
View attachment 16176

And here is the screenshot of Ping to different CSGO servers
View attachment 16177

are you still getting the same speed???
because im also on the same isp and same plan but sincw thw last 2weeks im getting max 2mbps speed

reply fast bro ;)

Top Bottom