[Guwahati Members] List & Best ISP?

lalam

In the zone
As stated in the title i was just curious over the number of ISP out here. State your experience with the particular ISP, if you have any. Would be great if you could provide their site as well contact details. Some ISP i know are:

1) BSNL - Obvious, never really used it. Experienced it at cafe and friends place but i don't think it's enough to write about it.
Welcome to Official Website of BSNL Assam Telecom Circle

2) Sify - Been with them for at least 3 1/2 years. It's been very stable since last year. Downtime last mostly for an hour and that too once in like 3 or 4 months. On 512kbps plan and getting the speed that i should. AFAIK that's the highest speed provided by them out here. Plans above it hasn't hit the city yet, that's what they told me. So don't let the site fool you.
Sify is India's largest broadband service provider

3) Rajdhani Broadband - No experience with their connection

4) Tata - Gave up my photon connection a long time ago. And yeh what an ass they are, i got a legal noticed serve to me after one year of disconnection. They didn't even have my record anymore lol Problems solved though, hopefully.
Tata Photon

5) Vedanti.net - Was the sole customer in my area for about 3 to 5 months. HORRIBLE!!! Always got dc and for days. Don't know how far they've improved now but my experience with them was like i said, horrible. When a problem arises and you call them, it's always by tomorrow.
vedantiNET
Registered office: SM Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd, GNB Road, Silpukhuri, Guwahati 781003, India
Control office : SM Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd., 2nd floor, The Institution of Engineers (India), Panbazar, Guwahati 781 001 ,India
Extension office : SM Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd., 4th floor, Eureka Tower, U-Turn, Chandmari, Guwahati 781 003, India

6) Java or Alision - Currently using it alongside Sify. Mediocre at best. I was suppose to be on 1mbps plan but never really got that speed and it frequently had downtime last week. Downtime at least once everyday.
Java Internet Services - Internet Service Provider North east India, Bihar, Jharkhand, Haryana...
Regional Office: H.R. Path,
Zoo Road Tiniali,
6th Bye Lane, Ghy
Commercial Office: Puberun Path,
Hatigaon, Ghy

7) My Net Broadband - Only saw the advertisement and tried accessing the site given but couldn't.

8) Amtron - Local one, i believe. The tariff are too expensive compared to other ISP, in my opinion.
*www.amtron.in/
Assam Electronics Development Corporation Ltd.(AMTRON)
Industrial Estate, Bamunimaidan.
Guwahati-21.Assam.
Ph:0361-2724204/222 (Off)
0361-2724181/131 (Fax)

Besides i saw one at GMC road, never knew i'd start a topic like this so didn't even bother remembering the name.
The best ISP i've used would have to be Sify. Constantly up and get the download speeds as i should.

Last edited:

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Broadcom is a company that makes chips for mobiles, routers etc. for connecting to the internet. Even my airtel broadband wifi here in Delhi is listed as broadcom because it uses chips from broadcom.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
rajdhani. installation charges are really high but monthly rental is good & so is the speed.

else I'll suggest bsnl.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@lalam
I think they dont have one. Their office is in Ganeshguri, near Dispur Dhaba.

Worst ISP IN Guwahati= Tata.
In someplaces the max download speed is 6 kbps! And they advertisf it as broadband!
My 2g GPRS connection gives more speed than that!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@lalam, yes TF is right. office is near ganeshguri. installation includes a dish & they charge around 3-4k for it.

tata photon gives that kind of speed everywhere but still most of my friends opt for it.

l30786

Right off the assembly line
I moved here two months ago.I had BSNL 1350UL plan before when I was at my place and I liked it.I mean it was OK for my online gaming addiction :p

But after moving here I got BSNL EVDO (micromex),man this is the worst connection I've ever had.I live in downtown and I get 4/5 kbps speed! sometimes it gets to 60kbps but that's also not stable.And they told me I will get over 2mps in Guwahati! So, my online gaming is finished :( my brand new Crysis 2 Limited Edition gone to waste and no more playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 online till 5:00 AM :(

I can't get a wired connection right now.But is there a better wireless solution?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
l30789 said:
But is there a better wireless solution?
SAy NO to Photo-On
Try BSNL 3g, should be better
l30789 said:
But after moving here I got BSNL EVDO (micromex),man this is the worst connection I've ever had.I live in downtown and I get 4/5 kbps speed! sometimes it gets to 60kbps but that's also not stable.And they told me I will get over 2mps in Guwahati! So, my online gaming is finished my brand new Crysis 2 Limited Edition gone to waste and no more playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 online till 5:00 AM
Sad. Most of wireless connections here are bad and only perform in certain parts of the city

OP
L

lalam

In the zone
The last time i asked they said 4500 for the 3g data card but that was like last year. Am expecting somewhere in the 3000 range. For more details, you should just check the site.

Tech&ME

Banned
As stated in the title i was just curious over the number of ISP out here. State your experience with the particular ISP, if you have any. Would be great if you could provide their site as well contact details. Some ISP i know are:

1) BSNL - Obvious, never really used it. Experienced it at cafe and friends place but i don't think it's enough to write about it.
Welcome to Official Website of BSNL Assam Telecom Circle

2) Sify - Been with them for at least 3 1/2 years. It's been very stable since last year. Downtime last mostly for an hour and that too once in like 3 or 4 months. On 512kbps plan and getting the speed that i should. AFAIK that's the highest speed provided by them out here. Plans above it hasn't hit the city yet, that's what they told me. So don't let the site fool you.
Sify is India's largest broadband service provider

3) Rajdhani Broadband - No experience with their connection

4) Tata - Gave up my photon connection a long time ago. And yeh what an ass they are, i got a legal noticed serve to me after one year of disconnection. They didn't even have my record anymore lol Problems solved though, hopefully.
Tata Photon

5) Vedanti.net - Was the sole customer in my area for about 3 to 5 months. HORRIBLE!!! Always got dc and for days. Don't know how far they've improved now but my experience with them was like i said, horrible. When a problem arises and you call them, it's always by tomorrow.
vedantiNET
Registered office: SM Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd, GNB Road, Silpukhuri, Guwahati 781003, India
Control office : SM Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd., 2nd floor, The Institution of Engineers (India), Panbazar, Guwahati 781 001 ,India
Extension office : SM Computer Consultants Pvt. Ltd., 4th floor, Eureka Tower, U-Turn, Chandmari, Guwahati 781 003, India

6) Java or Alision - Currently using it alongside Sify. Mediocre at best. I was suppose to be on 1mbps plan but never really got that speed and it frequently had downtime last week. Downtime at least once everyday.
Java Internet Services - Internet Service Provider North east India, Bihar, Jharkhand, Haryana...
Regional Office: H.R. Path,
Zoo Road Tiniali,
6th Bye Lane, Ghy
Commercial Office: Puberun Path,
Hatigaon, Ghy

7) My Net Broadband - Only saw the advertisement and tried accessing the site given but couldn't.

8) Amtron - Local one, i believe. The tariff are too expensive compared to other ISP, in my opinion.
*www.amtron.in/
Assam Electronics Development Corporation Ltd.(AMTRON)
Industrial Estate, Bamunimaidan.
Guwahati-21.Assam.
Ph:0361-2724204/222 (Off)
0361-2724181/131 (Fax)

Besides i saw one at GMC road, never knew i'd start a topic like this so didn't even bother remembering the name.
The best ISP i've used would have to be Sify. Constantly up and get the download speeds as i should.

To make things simple, let me clarify to all of you in Guwahati!

1. Only BSNL, Sify and Tata Photon+ are REAL ISPs in INDIA.

2. The companies listed above viz, Rajdhani Broadband, Vedanti.net, Java or Alision, My Net Broadband, Amtron are not REAL ISPs. They are on leased lines from BSNL.

This companies take high capacity leased lines from BSNL and then route the same through mini computerised channel to customers. And so, the quality is poor and rates are higher.

So, if you people wants to discuss about ISPs in your city you must stick to either BSNL, Sify, or TataPhoton+.

Last edited:

sc3n3l0v3r

Journeyman
Hi everyone, I am from Guwahati & I would like to share my ISP experiences.

Presently using BSNL BroadBand from 2008-till date.

Speeds was never been any issue :| till i shifted to Unlimited Plan.:-?
Presently I have subscribed to Combo 1000 Plan where I get 15GB of data transfer @ 2Mbps speed and after unlimited @ 256Kbps with 450 Free Calls.
-> Final Bill turns out be 1100+

-: Issues with Bsnl :-
--------------------
If your Line is DEAD or NOISY you have to suffer for more than a week,till you pay the lineman some bribe and they fix the line.

In recent months DSL link Failure is in top notch,Frequent Disconnection is their.
Is anyone having same issue at Guwahati ??

Why i stick to BSNL
-------------------
It is only best speed line with unlimited uses is available at my area.
Also I need to work WIFI, I need this.

Also TATA
----------
I have TATA Photon+ & is very gud in comparism to uptime but speeds sux a big time though it works as a alternative when BSNL is dead

A new player has joined the ISP range.
-------------------------------------
ISP name :- NBWifi

Rates are quite good and offer 256Kbps/512Kbps & 1mbps Unlimited Plans with out CAP.

Its hardly 2Km away from my residence still they cannot provide connection to my place.

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
a suggestion for people of Guwahati

Avoid Tata Photon come what may
why? The services are way too bad.
I have a friend who lives in GS Road. And there is absolutely no way he can even connect to the internet in 12 pm. Even if he does there is so much too much frequent disconnection during a gaming session. Usually I host when we play and he disconnects atleast 4 times in a half hour session. And let me not even talk of the lag.

another cousin has this. And the best download speed I managed on a advertised 3.1 mbps connection was 6.1 kbps. I dont think anything more has to be said. Period.

Using BSNL 750UL HOME since...

Bandwidth at the time of purchase was 256kbit/s. A year or so later they upgraded it to 512kbit/s. This February, they upgraded it to 1mbit/s (FUP: upto 6GB and 512kbit/s beyond).

Very happy. :)

l30786

Right off the assembly line
I am getting new wired connection (since my exam is finished :-D) so that I can get back to online gaming.I am thinking about getting BSNL BBG Combo ULD 1350 but BSNL is not that good for playing multiplayer because I get high ping in Battlefield bad company 2 and Battlefield 3.So, I think my second best choice is Rajdhani but I don't know about their plans.So, can anyone enlighten me in this matter, should I get BSNL or get a connection from Rajdhani?

Top Bottom