Guitar(Acoustic or Electric)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub1zero

Broken In
Hey guys. I'm really interested in playing guitars. So which should I start off with? Acoustic or electric? Suggest the cheapest/best models in whichever type you find is more suitable for a beginner. Thanks much.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Acoustic guitar - easier to learn, easier to impress the girls and transitioning to an electric would be pretty easy down the line.

aditya1987

Extheist
I am also learning guitar since 3 months. I asked my guitar teacher whether i should start with acoustic or electric. He told me that electric guitar requires lot of control, even touching the strings produces loud sound when connected to amplifier. So it will be better if you start with acoustic.

In first month you will get bruises, even your skin might get peeled off on your left index and middle finger when you'll try to play C Chord. I am not trying to scare you but I am telling you the fact, this happened to me too.

As for the guitar go for signature:-

*cgi.ebay.in/Black-Signature-Guitar...ItemQQimsxZ20090122?IMSfp=TL090122135001r9451

If you have interest, then go for it. All the best......

Acoustic guitar - easier to learn, easier to impress the girls and transitioning to an electric would be pretty easy down the line.

Are you a pro guitarist???:confused:

Who told you that acoustic guitar is easier to learn??:confused:

Strumming seekhna to somewhat easy hai par, lead/solo seekhne me saalon lag jate hain.;)

Last edited:

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Are you a pro guitarist???:confused:

Who told you that acoustic guitar is easier to learn??:confused:

Strumming seekhna to somewhat easy hai par, lead/solo seekhne me saalon lag jate hain.;)
Huh?!? I've been playing the guitar since 2001 and based on my personal experience, the acoustic guitar is the better option of the two for a beginner.

OP
S

sub1zero

Broken In
Thanks for the inputs fellows. I saw the link for acoustic guitar. And to start off with 3000 bucks is just way too much. Don't tell me that there aren't acoustic guitars available for around 1000 or less. :(

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
^ ^ ^ There are cheaper variants available. You just need to look for them in the right places, such as a small music store in your city.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
I never knew you could get acoustic guitars for 1000 or less? :confused:

Anyways, I would recommend starting off with Acoustic. Then as you learn, you will have some area of interest. If you keep with strumming and plugins, you'll stay with acoustic and it will do good. If you think of lead, then you should move on, as learning lead on acoustic is not good, maybe destructive. All this will come after you learn the basics.

What you should do is you should listen to songs of the genre you are interested in. And try humming tunes along with the songs. You should not leave listening to songs ever if you are to learn guitar well. Thats for developing an understanding of scales, octaves, etc. Basically it will supplement and strengthen whatever you learn on the guitar.

And after you've learnt a bit, grab opportunity of stage performance as soon as you get it, very crucial.

Maybe I'm going too far but I am a budding guitarist as well, and I was excited. ;)

Last edited:

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
To everyone who are taking classes for guitar. Lets say I am an average learner and I have a little more than average interest in learning guitar. Till when I would be able to master the basic chords? Time maybe 1hour/day.

Get a cheap (Around Rs. 2K to 3K) but decent acoustic guitar to start with, but don't get a Jumbo. At this range, they have good sound and you can practice both chords and leads easily.

Go electric only AFTER mastering an acoustic. Otherwise you will miss out on a lot of things.

Also, if you end up sucking at guitar, you wouldn't regret having spent 8K for an electric guitar :p

Anyway, India's local Guitar manufacturing hub is Kolkota. You can buy awesome sounding guitars for less than 2K. And I MEAN awesome. An average guitar for 1K. Thats how it is in Kolkota. I advice you to see if you have a friend or relative there and get it bought from there.

And once you master acoustic guitar, DONT go for a local brand electric guitar. Get something decent.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
To everyone who are taking classes for guitar. Lets say I am an average learner and I have a little more than average interest in learning guitar. Till when I would be able to master the basic chords? Time maybe 1hour/day.
If u r serious about 1 hr every day then it would take u at least 2-3 months for basic cords and 5-6 months for all the cords (I'm being very optimistic that u'ld remember everything:))

But the most important thing is getting the fingering right. This takes atleast an year, because you must get "used" to playing guitar. Its like learning to type for the first time. You can't type closing your eyes right away.

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
I ve been playing guitar for past 6 years and i am lead guitarist of my band called "Purple Rockers"...
The first two years i learned using an Acoustic Guitar. Aco Gui will help you develop your finger celuses and strengthen ur finger muscles, moreover your picking hand will be more active as you WILL have to pluck the string as tapping wont be much useful(as in electric). Moreover you will need to have lot of patience while learning the theory, don't rush into playing songs. Playing songs will impress only ur friends, but learning theory will let u play any song on your own.

My first guitar was Givson G150, which i threw off in less then two months coz it was not "cutaway" and i cudnt reach higher frets. STAY AWAY FROM GIVSON GUITARS. Yeah, they are famous in India but they don't have good quality. Look out for some good guitar at *bajaao.com/ , preferably Granada. I think Granada PRS-1 will be good beginner model and will cost less then 3000bucks.
Another thing, use medium pic( or plectrum), and don't rely on the pic that shopkeeper will provide you for free, buy some good tough medium pics(costing around 20-30rs. per pick).

Dont worry about finger sores, and repeated frowning at yourself. There are few things(even in chords) that will seem impossible at beginning, but everything will become easy in practice. And spend little time in learning music theory along way also.

Mistakes that wasted many years of my guitaring:-
1) In the beginning, i never used my little finger(pinky)...for first 6-7 months i used only three fingers. Believe me, it took me a whole one year to get my little finger in synchronization with other fingers.

2) If you dream about singing along with playing, then practice it from the beginning itself. Later it becomes very very tough to make ur mind concentrate on singing along with concentrating on guitar.

3) Be content with what you are playing. If ur friend plays better then you today, dont worry, you will play better then him one day.

Again, i wud prefer this one if i were you *www.bajaao.com/granada-prs1-medium-cutaway-acoustic-guitar-p-3517.html
You ll get it at any good shop for some 2300-2400 after bargaining..

So happy guitaring and keep in touch

Last edited:
I ve been playing guitar for past 6 years and i am lead guitarist of my band called "Purple Rockers"...
The first two years i learned using an Acoustic Guitar. Aco Gui will help you develop your finger celuses and strengthen ur finger muscles, moreover your picking hand will be more active as you WILL have to pluck the string as tapping wont be much useful(as in electric). Moreover you will need to have lot of patience while learning the theory, don't rush into playing songs. Playing songs will impress only ur friends, but learning theory will let u play any song on your own.

My first guitar was Givson G150, which i threw off in less then two months coz it was not "cutaway" and i cudnt reach higher frets. STAY AWAY FROM GIVSON GUITARS. Yeah, they are famous in India but they don't have good quality. Look out for some good guitar at *bajaao.com/ , preferably Granada. I think Granada PRS-1 will be good beginner model and will cost less then 3000bucks.
Another thing, use medium pic( or plectrum), and don't rely on the pic that shopkeeper will provide you for free, buy some good tough medium pics(costing around 20-30rs. per pick).

Dont worry about finger sores, and repeated frowning at yourself. There are few things(even in chords) that will seem impossible at beginning, but everything will become easy in practice. And spend little time in learning music theory along way also.

Mistakes that wasted many years of my guitaring:-
1) In the beginning, i never used my little finger(pinky)...for first 6-7 months i used only three fingers. Believe me, it took me a whole one year to get my little finger in synchronization with other fingers.

2) If you dream about singing along with playing, then practice it from the beginning itself. Later it becomes very very tough to make ur mind concentrate on singing along with concentrating on guitar.

3) Be content with what you are playing. If ur friend plays better then you today, dont worry, you will play better then him one day.

Again, i wud prefer this one if i were you *www.bajaao.com/granada-prs1-medium-cutaway-acoustic-guitar-p-3517.html
You ll get it at any good shop for some 2300-2400 after bargaining..

So happy guitaring and keep in touch
Wow! Thanks for your post. I am into my 2nd year, and am going to BUY an electric soon (I have played in my friend's electric so I know how it feels like).

About #1:

I am finding myself in the same issue. How do I remedy ? I am fixing things up by playing some pinky based solos, and multi finger exercises, esp the Master Of Puppets main riff which needs all 4 fingers alternately.

About Givson:

Its a local company. HOW can you expect them to manufacture guitars which allow you to go DEEP ? Along with Givson (note that it sounds similar to Gibbson), Fendar (note that it sounds similar to Fender) also sucks. But for simple chords practice, I guess its decent enough.

I own a Fendar acoustic, but its an 18 fret guitar, and only 12 are accessable. But I think its indirectly an advantage because atleast for mid and low frequencies (the upper strings) it would force ppl to switch between strings, something which is uncomfortable.

About #2:

Yeah. I can NEVER sing while playing. But if I am playing and singing the same note, its damn easy. Like for example, B.B.King's blues summit song. He plays, sings alternately, and finally launches into a solo where he sings and plays the same thing.

Any remedy for this issue ?

About Guitar Buying:

I am left handed while playing guitar. Any advice for me ? I am thinking of picking up a V shape guitar because its symmetric. My current acoustic is also a symmetric classical shaped one. I could have bought cheaper and better guitars but they were all right handed. :(

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
For the pinky, start practicing all the scales, keep practicing the scales again and again. When u take ur guitar, first thing u do is picking scales. And important is that you use alternate picking. And this will help you improving ur memory in remembering the note name. Here is a very good website from where i began scaling *www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/index.php
And be patient, it will take some time in making the finger muscles of pinky to match others. Appart from Master of Puppets, try layla(acoustic), Hotel california, why georgia, STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN(try this definitely, a good exercise for fingers)...

Yeah, these companies offer lucrative prices and later bring down the expectations. I wanted to reach higher frets only to play solos like Stairway to Heaven ending solo and Smoke on the Water solo. Better look at other affordable but original companies like Jimm, Granada and all.

I searched many articles about singing while playing. All i found was that i have to make my hands control the guitar subconciously so that i can concentrate on singing. Beginning from basic songs which follow the same notes, u can practice slowly and slowly. At one place i even read that this process becomes faster if u write your own lyrics and make a tune for it and sing out loud.

About the guitar, electric, for lefty nothing in this world is better then this *www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2007-grg170dx-lefty-electric-guitar-p-4276.html
It offers a Floyd Rose tremelo and can play all the genre, plus it is an Ibanez, which most of the big names use like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert...After bargain it will be possible for some 12000-13000 and wen combined with Marshall MG10CD or MG15CD it will become invincible.

So keep guitaring and keep in touch

For the pinky, start practicing all the scales, keep practicing the scales again and again. When u take ur guitar, first thing u do is picking scales. And important is that you use alternate picking. And this will help you improving ur memory in remembering the note name. Here is a very good website from where i began scaling *www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/index.php
And be patient, it will take some time in making the finger muscles of pinky to match others. Appart from Master of Puppets, try layla(acoustic), Hotel california, why georgia, STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN(try this definitely, a good exercise for fingers)...

When I first went to guitar classes back in June 2007,whatever I was taught was just wierd. I expected to learn music theory, and instead I ended up learning some SaReGaMaPa bull$hit. So I hardly know anything about scales and such.

I am vastly a self taught musician.

Yeah, these companies offer lucrative prices and later bring down the expectations. I wanted to reach higher frets only to play solos like Stairway to Heaven ending solo and Smoke on the Water solo. Better look at other affordable but original companies like Jimm, Granada and all.

Now that I have this guitar, I am intent on keeping it. Besides, why try soloing on an acoustic ? Ofcource, its the best place to start off, but REAL solos are for an electric guitar :D

I searched many articles about singing while playing. All i found was that i have to make my hands control the guitar subconciously so that i can concentrate on singing. Beginning from basic songs which follow the same notes, u can practice slowly and slowly. At one place i even read that this process becomes faster if u write your own lyrics and make a tune for it and sing out loud.

Thats what I figured out while studying the way I behaved. Apparently, the human brain (atleast my brain) has difficulty in managing two tunes at the same time.So one thing needs to happen subconciously. And yeah, I have tried EVERYTHING - I compose music, write lyrics, create tunes, etc. I am a one man army. Still its damn hard to do two things at the same time.

About the guitar, electric, for lefty nothing in this world is better then this *www.bajaao.com/ibanez-2007-grg170dx-lefty-electric-guitar-p-4276.html
It offers a Floyd Rose tremelo and can play all the genre, plus it is an Ibanez, which most of the big names use like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert...After bargain it will be possible for some 12000-13000 and wen combined with Marshall MG10CD or MG15CD it will become invincible.

So keep guitaring and keep in touch
Well, my budget is pretty low to start with. I hardly have enough cash. Isn't there something cheaper ?

And yeah, how are stuff like these ? *www.bajaao.com/boss-os2-overdrive-distortion-guitar-effects-pedal-p-3774.html
Are they good enough for SERIOUS stuff like metallica, led zeppelin, etc ?

And, about distortion vs overdriving:

Many songs need to be played in power chords. I have managed to emulate many metallica riffs on just the E-String, without using a power chord. I am not sure if it would sound the same on an electric guitar when I try distortion. Infact, I DID try an electric and ended up looking like a fool. So should I overdrive instead ? Whats the difference ? And yeah, is there any other way of getting power chord like sounds with just a single string ?

double picking:

how exactly do you double pick ? I do it with these cheap Rs. 5 picks and I hold them perpendicular to the string, and move it up and down. Since the edge is triangular, its somewhat easy to move. But most videos I see have people holding plectums paralell to the string while picking... :confused:

V

And my friend saw this V guitar (I am not sure if its a Star or a V - I forgot what he said) selling for 3.8K at a store in Brigade Road. I guess it was from ESP. Are those decent ? Is it even real ?

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
The things mentioned above are very good for beginning the super kool stuff containing everything from Led Zeppelin to Metallica.
That was just beginning yaar...I was always mesmerised by the solo of Stairway to Heaven, so i was like pushed from inside to learn it on acoustic. I have been listening this song from past 10 years and i can play it live, but still i always find something new in it.
You will be amazed to know that I never went to any classes :D, all the things i know is from internet, books and myself. So start learning scales and all on your own, they are the beginning of everything.

On an electric axe, u might need to play full power chord, it will sound something hollow. Power Chord is just a stripped down Barre Chord, so the strings are musically related to each other. So no matter what effect you use, stick to make it simple, but full sounding. And one more thing, whenever you play an acoustic guitar, just keep in mind that someday you are going to shift to electric.

Holding Pick. Actually its like this, different teachers will say different way of holding picks, but the best way is the one you have always practiced. It totally depends on personal practice. For me, i hold it at a little angle from parallel, this gives me extreme speed compared to normal.

You can try saving some money yaar. Coz there is one thing very true with electric guitars, you will hear what you will pay. You put more money and get exponentially better sound.

The things mentioned above are very good for beginning the super kool stuff containing everything from Led Zeppelin to Metallica.
That was just beginning yaar...I was always mesmerised by the solo of Stairway to Heaven, so i was like pushed from inside to learn it on acoustic. I have been listening this song from past 10 years and i can play it live, but still i always find something new in it.

THATS why I am trying to learn music theory. Its all about creating some sort of "tention" feeling. That keeps your solos on the EDGE/

You will be amazed to know that I never went to any classes :D, all the things i know is from internet, books and myself. So start learning scales and all on your own, they are the beginning of everything.[/quot]

Where do I start ???

On an electric axe, u might need to play full power chord, it will sound something hollow. Power Chord is just a stripped down Barre Chord, so the strings are musically related to each other. So no matter what effect you use, stick to make it simple, but full sounding. And one more thing, whenever you play an acoustic guitar, just keep in mind that someday you are going to shift to electric.
What about tuning the A string 2 notes deeper ? Will that work as a temporary solution till my pinky gets fixed ?

Holding Pick. Actually its like this, different teachers will say different way of holding picks, but the best way is the one you have always practiced. It totally depends on personal practice. For me, i hold it at a little angle from parallel, this gives me extreme speed compared to normal.
HOW ? Sometimes I notice that at high speeds, angular holding brings max comfort. But at lower speeds, its next to impossible for me to hold angularly.

You can try saving some money yaar. Coz there is one thing very true with electric guitars, you will hear what you will pay. You put more money and get exponentially better sound.

Then I like things to be future proof. Meaning, If I invest 15 grands on a guitar, I need to be able to use it forever. It must be good enough for recording and I must be able to produce near-professional sounding stuff on my home-studio. Is that Ibanez good enough ? Also for Live Shows ???

And is there anything like a 3K Grandana Lefty Acoustic ? I heard some of them have inbuilt pickups ? Can I add external pickups to acoustics ? Whats the min price I need to spend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom