Guide me to install ubuntu ... Vista installed already..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
@Dhruv: Just make sure your CD/DVD Drive is set to boot first(from the BIOS) and then pop in the Ubuntu CD and it will boot to the Live Environment where you can start the installation. Press ALT+F2 and enter
Code:
gksudo gparted
As about partition, use GParted(in Ubuntu Live Mode) to create a new 15 GB ext3 partition from g: ( it will named as /dev/sda) it prolly be the last partition.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If gparted isn't working for you, just resize it with whatever tool you can get working. Just create 25GB blank partition.

Rahim

Married!
^No that ws for Dhruv.
@naveen: I am not getting it. Could you post a screenshot without that error window, so we can have a clear view about your partitions.

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
i dont get u .. all detailss are ther in the piucture

*img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2vq5.png

ok does shrink function in vista disk mangaement tool will partition my Hd??

if so.. should i format it with windows or boot thru ubuntu and use gparted or go for installation directly???

praka123

left this forum longback
@nevin:that "unallocated space" shows how much GB?create a ext3 partition and a swap type partition there as explained elsewhere in this thread.

Dhruv11

Broken In
@Dhruv: Just make sure your CD/DVD Drive is set to boot first(from the BIOS) and then pop in the Ubuntu CD and it will boot to the Live Environment where you can start the installation. Press ALT+F2 and enter
Code:
gksudo gparted
As about partition, use GParted(in Ubuntu Live Mode) to create a new 15 GB ext3 partition from g: ( it will named as /dev/sda) it prolly be the last partition.

Is that all ? And what about that SWAP ?

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
@nevin:that "unallocated space" shows how much GB?create a ext3 partition and a swap type partition there as explained elsewhere in this thread.

no prak .. it werent created.. after this error box.. i had click cancel.. and gparted "CRASHED" and when i again restarted .. there wasnt any unallocated space !!!

any help thru VISTA disk manager.. will be helpfull...

i searched and fpound about this shrink function... if anybody can guide me thru doing / partioning will be helpfull

Rahim

Married!
Is that all ? And what about that SWAP ?
Yes Dhruv you can create 1 GB of Swap the same way os your create /(Root) ext3 partition from your G: drive. Its very simple.

@Naveen: This might Help How-To Shrink Partition in Vista

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^if u can post a clean gparted screenshot ,I can explain u what operations are to be done.
yes,gparted needs several operations to achieve resize etc.

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
ok i have created a 20gb unallocated partition.. but it isnt showing any partition in my computer.. should i format using vista.. or load ubuntu now and proceed with installation ???

*img136.imageshack.us/img136/7153/hdox2.th.jpg

praka123

left this forum longback
^No,boot with Ubuntu,run gparted,create a 15GB "/" partition and a 1.5GB swap partition.then exit gparted and start installation,
open a terminal,run "sudo ubiquity" show the installer new partitions(name is /dev/sda,,,).

Rahim

Married!
^ Create 1.5 GB as Swap and then "/" (root) partition with the balance space.
Default filesystem is ext3.

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@rahimveron
Why /root ?
Especially in ubuntu where's there no root login by default?

It would be better used as /home IMO.

Btw, thanx for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom