guidance needed in cleaning LCD screen

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
my monitor's lcd screen is getting dirty with some small black spots or other watery marks. maybe cousin or someone else have touched screen with wet hands. i tried cleaning the screen with cloth & some of the marks got erased but not all. googled & found a ton of guide about cleaning LCD screen & while some suggested using a moist cloth dipped in distilled water to clean LCD others suggested vinegar & all sort of other liquids. simple doubt: safe to use distilled water? what you guys use to clean your LCD panels?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i read that somewhere. lets see if i can get some isopropyl alcohol tomorrow. distilled water is avl at home. thanks anyway :smile:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
bit of colin or a few drops of distilled water and a soft cotton cloth should be fine. suggest that you wipe in one direction only. back n fourth wipe action sometimes can leave water marks on lcd .

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Use distilled water with microfiber cloth(that's comes with Screen guard or spectacles) Distilled water because it doesn't contain any dust & minerals.

Last edited:
OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Use distilled water with microfiber cloth(that's comes with Screen guard or spectacles) Distilled water because it doesn't contain any dust & minerals.

have both of them & ready to use. will do it tomorrow after returning from college. thanks everyone for replying :smile:

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Step 1: Use a light piece of cotton cloth to blow/wipe away the layer of dust on the panel. OR. Use those long colourful synthetic fancy dusters to remove the layer of dust.

Step 2: Gently wipe the panel with a Moist microfiber cloth in one direction only.

Step 3: Again wipe the panel with a dry microfiber cloth similarly.
:)

d3p

PowerHouse
^^ Adding to Matchboxx

1). Get a Lint Free Cloth from any local medical stores.
2). Clean the Display Surface with dry cloth first.
3). Apply colin's or isopropyl alcohol or Distilled water on your dry cloth & start wiping the display surface gently.

4). Last, if you want to avoid such dust accumulation & repeated cleaings, then get a screen guard of your monitor screen size [polythene type] from any local computer shop. Max 200-300 bucks.

Note: Never hit these cleaning solvents directly on your display, they may damage your screen by water entry on the edges.

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
The question has been resolved by myself.

Damaging by applying IPA DIRECTLY depends on its concentration. Greater than 90% should always BE DILUTED.

Some YouTube clippings are showing IPA to be mixed with plain water. But No. As soon as the IPA evaporates you will find whitish spots. So avoid plain water which also contains many impurities.

I have cleaned my monitor with ISOPROPYL and DISTILL water. Here goes the steps.

*i.imgur.com/vehax.jpg

IPA, DISTILL WATER, CUP & FUNNEL

*i.imgur.com/V9Rap.jpg

Pour distill water in the cup fully.

*i.imgur.com/w8f9C.jpg

Put it in the spray bottle through funnel.

*i.imgur.com/xjBm2.jpg

Now pour the IPA in the same cup fully.

Put that in the spray bottle again.

Close the lid.

depending on the size of Monitor your cup size may change. Here i have taken one cup full of each. You can mix half cup to half cup also.

*i.imgur.com/SeK7H.jpg

Monitor Surface before cleaning.

Wipe it gently with a piece of handkerchief to remove the visible dust before applying the solution.

*i.imgur.com/sSrb8.jpg

Very handy for blowing the dust in corners.
(thanks to Tenida)

*i.imgur.com/qWC0K.jpg

The lint free cloth
Wet it with solution of IPA & DISTILL water.

*i.imgur.com/rsXk2.jpg

Then start wiping in a circular motion with a soft touch
repeat the wiping several times for spots.

*i.imgur.com/rl7U1.jpg

wipe again with the handkerchief immediately when it evaporates to make it shiny.

*i.imgur.com/zQo3t.jpg

The effect

*i.imgur.com/wXJaG.jpg

Spotless.

Leave it for several hours to dry it completely.

Open your system and set a white background to check for any spot remaining.

@ Mods : Can this be a sticky one?

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
LED/LCD monitor Cleaning...

Now a days we all use TFT/LCD/LED Monitors..

how do u all clean the screen coz the procedure is different than regular CRT...

I just cleaned my LED with water & cloth but now I can clearly see the dry water patches on screen..so I m worried about how to remove them :(

bit of colin or a few drops of distilled water and a soft cotton cloth should be fine. suggest that you wipe in one direction only. back n fourth wipe action sometimes can leave water marks on lcd .

yes my problem is this only :x

my LED Screen is matte & not glossy...so is the above methods same for both type of screens?

Top Bottom