GTX 660 Ti or Radeon 7950

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ That 670 is expensive mate. Should be 25k to be considered worthy of a purchase.

Pick 7950 or 660-ti instead. My pick would be 660-ti for 20k. Its perfect for 1080p gaming.

Cilus

laborare est orare
HD 7950 is a better buy. Even at the Fall Graphics card review, Hardocp recommended it over 660 Ti.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup. GTX 660 Ti is sort of meaningless now. Since HD 7870 matches it at a cheaper price. And HD 7950 is faster.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
yup. GTX 660 Ti is sort of meaningless now. Since HD 7870 matches it at a cheaper price. And HD 7950 is faster.

IMO its more like 7870 < 660ti < 7950.
Though 660ti is good option for multi gpu setups.

how is this for i5 2500k -Motherboard MSI ZH77A G41 / Gigabyte H77 D3H ?

Kinda useless. h77 mobo's are not meant for unlocked k-series procs :|
Use z77 mobos with k-series procs

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
That fall 2012 review by hardocp was with older drivers from nvidia mainly 310.33.

Since 310.54, things have really changed a lot and 660-ti is again competitive. There are reviews available stating the same.
Probably hardocp is planning a redux too.

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
in 310.54 the significant improvement is only for BF3 and assassins creed 3 for everything else it is 5-6% as stated by nvidia. reviews with these drivers are yet to come.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moreover the 7950 is still a clear winner in most of the cases, and the 7870's price is in another level altogether.

And AMD has also released a newer beta of Catalyst 12.11.

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Guys... please also make a note of overclocking potential of HD7950.. it can reach clock speeds of 7970 very easily and can surpass them. At this point i.e. OCed at say 1050 clock and 1600 mem, it competes with gtx670.

HARDOCP - GALAXY GeForce GTX 660 Ti GC 3GB Overclock - GALAXY GTX 660 Ti GC OC vs. OC GTX 670 & HD 7950

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
7950 also suffers from frame time issues. Thus the choppiness in crossfire and its also reported that they exist in single gpu too.
Interestingly amd has admitted all of it.

I have a feeling that by sacrificing frametime, amd cards are achieving higher fps which seem hollow as stated by a reviewer.
More articles on this are likely to surface after tech-report's findings. Hardocp is also planning some tests and they were the first to bring out amd's
choppiness in games. Its not only micro-stutter that plagues them.

A new comparo is highly likely.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
its about time they come out with a clear cut explanation for layman's as to HOW they compute the so called "99th percentile Frame time"..
as for techreport..well.....this speaks volumes IMHO AMD attempts to shape review content with staged release of info - The Tech Report
(from their experience they should have known that once they sign an NDA they have to abide by the companies clause,yet they come out with something like"AMD's shaping reviews hurr durr..")with all due respect...this aint expected of them...and the review is questioned..even by hard nvidia enthusiasts :p
[The Tech Report] Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 660 Ti revisited

just saying....

maybe they should come out with a formula so that us mere mortals can grasp what they want us to understand..

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
I tested HD7950 crossfire today... and got choppiness only in FC3... all other games are running perfect - Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Spec Ops The Line, Batman Series, Mass Effect 3, FIFA 13, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, Max Payne 3, Witcher 2 EE, Alan Wake, F1 2012, NFS Most Wanted, Metro 2033.
I've tested them personally today.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
its about time they come out with a clear cut explanation for layman's as to HOW they compute the so called "99th percentile Frame time"..
as for techreport..well.....this speaks volumes IMHO AMD attempts to shape review content with staged release of info - The Tech Report
(from their experience they should have known that once they sign an NDA they have to abide by the companies clause,yet they come out with something like"AMD's shaping reviews hurr durr..")with all due respect...this aint expected of them...and the review is questioned..even by hard nvidia enthusiasts :p
[The Tech Report] Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 660 Ti revisited

just saying....

maybe they should come out with a formula so that us mere mortals can grasp what they want us to understand..

Yup buddy i agree with that. We need some more light on this.
I had heard hardocp is doing some tests on this. Maybe it might answer a lot of questions that were stockpiled from that earlier review.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
i sincerely hope so...coz they are losing reader base fast..
and adding to that the previous blasting at AMD for nothing...they are walking on the borderline to be termed as NV fanboys.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tested HD7950 crossfire today... and got choppiness only in FC3... all other games are running perfect - Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Spec Ops The Line, Batman Series, Mass Effect 3, FIFA 13, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, Max Payne 3, Witcher 2 EE, Alan Wake, F1 2012, NFS Most Wanted, Metro 2033.
I've tested them personally today.
User experience > Commenting after reading reviews.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup!!! :p

From fps to min fps to 99th percentile frame time... lol... what's next? Also IIRC that review showed a single card's latency to be higher than a CF setup.

Top Bottom