GTX 590 Discussion

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
wht needs to be confirmed? so many gtx 590 have already died with mild overclocking/volting. few have also died on stock. why does one invest $700 on an enthusiast card? to overclock it.

it has now been universally accepted that nvidia needed better vrm system in gtx 590.

All of that went kaput due to overvolting at or beyond 1.2mv. Vrm issue is just a speculation. Lets wait for that bios fix.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
All of that went kaput due to overvolting at or beyond 1.2mv. Vrm issue is just a speculation. Lets wait for that bios fix.
The video in which GTX 590 had gone kaput, it was running at 1.035 V which is not much. YouTube - Geforce GTX 590 burns @ SweClockers.com

The VRM issue is NOT a speculation. Heck, people are even running GTX 480 @ 1.2V.

Firstly it is 1.2 V, not mV.

Here is a quote from some other forum:

• *www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4791289&postcount=37 GTX 590/died in test lab - 25/3/2011
  • *translate.google.ca/translate?hl=e...ia-repond-amd-avec-geforce-gtx-590.html&twu=1 GTX 590/first sample passed away - 25/3/2011
  • *translate.google.ca/translate?hl=e...force-gtx-590-noul-rege-al-placilor-video/13/ GTX 590 sample VRM failed at stock clocks [4+1 per GPU] - 25/3/2011
  • *www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_590/26.html GTX 590/1.2V at stock clocks [4+1 per GPU] - 24/3/2011
  • YouTube - Geforce GTX 590 burns @ SweClockers.com GTX 590/during load. Explanation: 4+1 power phase - each core consumes 150-175W; it's really not enough. I would advise against buying reference design GTX 590 if you overclock. - 24/3/2011

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
The video in which GTX 590 had gone kaput, it was running at 1.035 V which is not much. YouTube - Geforce GTX 590 burns @ SweClockers.com

Its still above safer limits but other people have overvolted more than 1.00v safely. We should wait for the bios fix. Lets see if it can fix everything.

The VRM issue is NOT a speculation. Heck, people are even running GTX 480 @ 1.2V.

Actually it is. No reviewer has confirmed this as of now. All they are saying is "maybe".

Firstly it is 1.2 V, not mV.

Correct. That was a typo.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually it is. No reviewer has confirmed this as of now. All they are saying is "maybe".
Don't expect any reviewer to come forward and bash nVidia. This thing is pretty obvious. Let sense do the talking, not fanboyism.

No reviewer also never talks about cheap VRM in MSI motherboards. Remember their motherboards frying up with overclocked 1055T?? They just couldn't deliver the power. The same case is here. ;)

Sid_hooda

I'm taller than you
@vickybat -

Some links you might want to open.

Puff Puff Pass the GTX 590; Why some have gone up in smoke! :: TweakTown USA Edition

Google Translate

How serious are the nVidia GTX 590 problems? | KitGuru

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Okay no problem. But will the custom designed 590's overcome this issue? Board makers should try to redesign the vrm's atleast. What say?

Sid_hooda

I'm taller than you
I dont really expect to see manfacturers make any significant changes to the design. Max. they'll do is slap on a custom cooler since they aren't going to sell that much so why spend money on R&D.

But thats just me. Someone might surprise us but the chances are pretty low.

mrcool63

Journeyman
dude in the end the 590 which is physically a 580 SLI compares to a 570 SLI and produces too much heat for its own good. unless u live in anctartica u cant overclock this much!

All in all 6990 has my vote hands down.... no 590 for me:)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
do all these cards use VRM from the same manufacturer? i feel same manufacturer or not, those are really cheap ones.

2 GF110 chips cost a lot (proved by GTX580). so to keep the price in check, manufacturers will do anything. & so in the end what we get is burning cards rather than gaming cards.

custom coolers, better VRM are needed. but lastly, in a better price bracket.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Check out the gtx 590 quad sli review.

Source

@ sam

I guess nvidia played the wrong move by pricing the 590 cheaper and sacrificing on the pcb design front. It should have been $100 more with better build and overclockability. It would have been a definite hit for sure considering the sheer power of gf110.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@ sam

I guess nvidia played the wrong move by pricing the 590 cheaper and sacrificing on the pcb design front. It should have been $100 more with better build and overclockability. It would have been a definite hit for sure considering the sheer power of gf110.

they should have played the price game (more performance but lot more expensive). now cause of their idiotic strategy, they are cursed by most hardcore gamers who went/or wanted to take the GTX590 route.

& yes, price it 100$ more but put in a better PCB, better VRM that can handle both cores at ~650Mhz, cause enthusiast won't mind it. this will at least keep 590 clearly ahead of 6990 in terms of performance (even if it can't be overclocked much).

tkin

Back to school!!
they should have played the price game (more performance but lot more expensive). now cause of their idiotic strategy, they are cursed by most hardcore gamers who went/or wanted to take the GTX590 route.

& yes, price it 100$ more but put in a better PCB, better VRM that can handle both cores at ~650Mhz, cause enthusiast won't mind it. this will at least keep 590 clearly ahead of 6990 in terms of performance (even if it can't be overclocked much).
Multi gpu is a hassle, get a 580 and chill out, AMD haven't yet fixed their mouse cursor or 99% gpu bug so I'd suggest staying away, moreover their 11.4 drivers a mess, currently there is about a dozen 11.4 drivers floating in net(guru3d forums), no one knows which is latest or most stable, its a pain with these monthly driver releases, lots of drivers are piling up but no whql drivers with bugfixes. People using 5970 or 5850/5870 CF are the worst sufferers of the 99% and mouse cursor bugs.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Multi gpu is a hassle, get a 580 and chill out, AMD haven't yet fixed their mouse cursor or 99% gpu bug so I'd suggest staying away, moreover their 11.4 drivers a mess, currently there is about a dozen 11.4 drivers floating in net(guru3d forums), no one knows which is latest or most stable, its a pain with these monthly driver releases, lots of drivers are piling up but no whql drivers with bugfixes. People using 5970 or 5850/5870 CF are the worst sufferers of the 99% and mouse cursor bugs.
The problem with 99% bug is, AMD's driver team wasn't able to reproduce that bug at all till February. About mouse-lag, fix should be out this month or next. @CatalystCreator has said that they are being worked upon. Let us see.

mohiuddin

Journeyman

90% of 99%bug holders r cfx or dualgpu card users...and 11.4 is still preview, no one told to dl u a preview....
And i m using 6850, no , not a single moment of 99% bug.....mouse lag is noticable when u wanna notice unless u crazily play starcraft 2 with mouse mainly....

tkin

Back to school!!
90% of 99%bug holders r cfx or dualgpu card users...and 11.4 is still preview, no one told to dl u a preview....
And i m using 6850, no , not a single moment of 99% bug.....mouse lag is noticable when u wanna notice unless u crazily play starcraft 2 with mouse mainly....
Yes, but its an issue none the less, also I didn't dl 11.4, don't know which one to download among the dozens of drivers floating around.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
You have to follow driver sites like guru3d for that. Like I stopped updated after 10.5B.

tkin

Back to school!!
^^
You have to follow driver sites like guru3d for that. Like I stopped updated after 10.5B.
Yes I am, but that site has also turned into a mess, the AMD driver section has about 3 threads for 11.4 drivers with each thread linking about 3-5 different drivers each, its an war zone man.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rage 3D is a better site as far as AMD/ATi drivers are concerned. Sometimes devs themselves post over there.

Top Bottom