GTX 590 Discussion

[Kitguru]GTX590 BIOS rushed out to repair reputation

KitGuru spies have uncovered the reason behind all of the recent commotion at NV headquarters. It seems that the stories being reported by customers on sites like Overclockers.co.uk mean that the “It is an old driver issue” statement might be binned in favour of something more substantial. KitGuru applauds nVidia’s move.
Ever since SweClockers ran a video of nVidia’s GTX590 card exploding in the lab, the world + dog has been waiting to see if this is a one off – or something indicative of a more serious issue. Interesting to see that in the day or two after the explosion, the view count was less than 10,000 – but it is now over 300,000. SweClockers ad sales team must have made an alter to nVidia and be thanking their personal gods that the cameras were switched on at the right moment.
(...)
Well, nVidia’s engineering squad have just completed work on a BIOS that is intended to prevent future GTX590 explosions.

Source

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Thats a good positive move. Thanks for the info gaurav.:smile:

Now 590 can be overclocked like hell after the bios update. But some reviewers need to confirm this first.

Last edited:
^^ Thats a good positive move. Thanks for the info gaurav.:smile:

mention not. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TWEAKERS]Nvidia's GTX 590 seems to be facing serious problems

The GTX 590 is very hot during operation and it seems that the power circuit is not designed to carry the high energy combined with the temperature. According to Nvidia latest driver fixes the problem

Source

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
wasn't a driver issue after all. :p

It was definitely the case of VRM frying due to high current (which they couldn't handle) when GTX 590 was overclocked.

The reason why we are seeing a new "BIOS" is because GTX 590 needs better over-current protection.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Exactly. Overvolting always leads to increase in currents which fry the passive components in a pcb.

The protective measures are a software bios update but will it be enough?

Can the gtx 590 overvolted to 1.2mv safely after the bios update?
Imo, they should have considered redesigning the pcb. What say?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Google Translate

He talks earlier, and I agree, that we would have liked to see a six phase VRM with 40A+ mosfets (maximum theoretical load: 240A). Instead we get a four phase VRM with 35A mosfets (maximum theoretical load: 140A).

The reference HD6990 uses a six phase VRM with each phase capable of 80A.
[Lab501] GTX590 VRMs analyzed - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

How serious are the nVidia GTX 590 problems? | KitGuru

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ ico

They did not make it that much enthusiast friendly. But i asked you something earlier. What's your take on that?

I would also like others to comment on this as well. Will the bios update be sufficient?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ good link. :)

lol, they ignored it, I guess.

Still early to comment and actually is FUD. Some good reviewers need to comment on the pcb design.

^^we can only wait and tell.

Exactly. Lets wait for more reviewers to comment on the bios update. If this is such a seious issue, then definitely some leading reviewers will post some articles on the bios update and anyother fixes.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
after reading them -
horrifying links:shock:

actually the same kitguru (gaurav link and my link) is saying this a day later-

"NVIDIA’s reference GTX 590 VBIOS on the production boards has not changed, and we have not provided a new VBIOS to AICs or end users for GTX 590. The original GTX 590 VBIOS that NVIDIA shipped is good for customers to use and we stand fully behind the reliability of the hardware with that VBIOS.
We did hear of one AIC partner who issued a custom VBIOS update specific to their board and we are checking in with them on the details of this.”
:shock:

and a GTX 580 uses 6 + 2 phase design and two gf110 on 590 - 4+1 each:blink::chinscratch:

My disappointment was complete, but we had to do, had to go ahead with a change in strategy. Although we have identified points of connection for both your voltmod GPUs, not in this article was to be no serious test of endurance for the VRM, voltage because I wanted to apply was 1.3 V, still lower than the case of HD 6990 (according to consumption GPU), which has stood the test of endurance to 1.4 V without the slightest problem. It was clear that the GTX 590 would have survived, because at such a joke VRM could not speak nor even 1.2V.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still early to comment and actually is FUD. Some good reviewers need to comment on the pcb design.
FUD? Sorry, I talked with logic and sense.

Cheap MOSFETs i.e. poor VRM is the reason. This is what I said on day one and everyone is now saying.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The reason why we are seeing a new "BIOS" is because GTX 590 needs better over-current protection.
The protective measures are a software bios update but will it be enough?

same doubt. how can a simple bios update control or lower current protection? maybe they will limit GTX590 OC to save the card.

^^ Exactly. Overvolting always leads to increase in currents which fry the passive components in a pcb.

GTX295 (or maybe 280) if i remember correctly had a similar problem. lack of proper cooling in the VRM stopped it from OC & if you try, the clock just fall back to a lot lower value. VRM were cooled by a thin metal strip. whatever type of VRM they are using, good cooling is as important as their quality.

Imo, they should have considered redesigning the pcb. What say?
Cheap MOSFETs i.e. poor VRM is the reason. This is what I said on day one and everyone is now saying.

i agree with ico. till you don't use quality VRM that can take such load & functions under high temperature, redesigning PCB won't help. they are just trying to lower the price by whatever means. i wonder what will happen after a year of using these cards. overclock/overvolt or not, after a year of using it'll show its ugly face. burnt or dead VRMs & other dead components.

J

Joker

world's fastest gfx card. answer is here. - Introduction - ASUS GeForce GTX 590 Video Card Review | [H]ard|OCP

hd 6990 with lower power consumption too. ;)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this has not been mentioned on this forum before, the failure rate of OCed GTX 570 is very high too. Again due to cheap VRM.

world's fastest gfx card. answer is here. - Introduction - ASUS GeForce GTX 590 Video Card Review | [H]ard|OCP

hd 6990 with lower power consumption too. ;)
It is all about choosing the benchmarks you want to make a point. Both are performing exactly the same.

J

Joker

this burnt at stock. nasty.

*img151.imageshack.us/img151/1152/burntgtx590.jpg

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
I think this has not been mentioned on this forum before, the failure rate of OCed GTX 570 is very high too. Again due to cheap VRM.

ya i read about gtx 570 while searching 590 problems. but forgot to post.:grin:

Last edited:
J

Joker

Thats still maybe. Needs to be confirmed.
wht needs to be confirmed? so many gtx 590 have already died with mild overclocking/volting. few have also died on stock. why does one invest $700 on an enthusiast card? to overclock it.

it has now been universally accepted that nvidia needed better vrm system in gtx 590.

Top Bottom