Code:
sudo fdisk -l
output is :
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80060424192 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9733 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        1912    15358108+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2            1913        9000    56934360    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda3            9001        9733     5887822+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda5            1913        4462    20482843+   b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sda6            4463        7012    20482843+   b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sda7            7013        8960    15647278+   b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sda8            8961        9000      321268+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

plz help me

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You don't seem to have a Linux root partition in your fdisk -l output. Did you format something by accident?

Or was your root partition FAT?

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
Bull **** :( my bro had fromated my ubuntu partition oh man
actually in win xp i had installed software to see my ubuntu partition
he mistakenly formated this drive :(

now i will have to install ubuntu again :(

Last edited:

Flake

Linux User
No i havent tried to format/create new partition(s)? not tried scandisk also

all i rember is 1 day ago i mistakenly turend off the main power while working in ubuntu

but even after that grub was loding coz i used win Xp

anyways what r the option left with me ??
Linux / partition is missing and its really strange. Turning off machine doesn't change filesystem.

Are you sure that you have posted complete output of fdisk -l command?

gotcha !...... Re-install is the only option now unless you want to recover important data, if any.

Last edited:

wraj

Random Scribbler !
dude linux sux..dont use it. how can anything be free and work perfect, use mac its perfect or if money is the issue try windows..whatever this grub u r talkin is an excampel of the same..things r silly in linux..

Will sure agree with this only when I get the serious answer of what asked below:

1.If window is that much tech marvel,I just fail to understand why it haven't been able to look beyond FAT and NTFS as Linux does it with nearly all the filesystems.

2.If GRUB is such an issue,then why Windows can come up with its own boot-loader which supposedly will have a rocket science involved in it.After all,u have paid a significant amount to be their slave.

3.And I hope its has been posted with all time brilliant performer IE or Safari against Firefox,Opera and other free stuffs which really sucks.

4.Ive seen guys running pillar to post and googling it everywhere to make run CounterStrike flawlessly.But if some Distro like Ubuntu refuses to play the formats like mp3 coz of the obvious reason,donno where their exploration skills and capabilities goes off.

5.Why iTunes havent been our darling against "buggy,ugly,resource hog,free(if u think so)....." Winamp and other free alternatives?

I respect other forum members not paying much attention over the sick remark above,but should have been stormed for this prejudice and immature suggestion.These are literraly the one who are sabotaging Linux success.

Bull **** my bro had fromated my ubuntu partition oh man
actually in win xp i had installed software to see my ubuntu partition
he mistakenly formated this drive

now i will have to install ubuntu again

This was the actual reason which unknowingly created the mess.I am damn sure neither Mac's Time Machine or Any WIndows utility will come to the rescue.But as you have paid some money,you better be seated with some hope still there.We are better off with what Linux is offering us currently.

This is neither my personal intention to offend anyone nor I wanna create yet another Windows vs Mac Vs Linux debate.I just wanted to prevent saurabh and other potential users to not to fall prey of such prejudice.

I still have million and one reason to Use Linux against million and two reason to not to use Windows and other paid alternatives

Flake

Linux User
Frankly, I don't care if anybody using Linux or Windows OS or any other OS but I do agree that nobody should post such sick remarks. Everyone is free to use any OS which suites his/her needs.
Btw, I am dual booting..... :)

Rahim

Married!
^Exactly.

@gambit08: Leave us to drown in this wonderful world of GNU/Linux:) I do confess ,It takes some time to get oneself accustomed to the workings of Linux.
If Windows is such a breeze then no forums relating to Windows should have ever existed!! Avoid giving such biased and uninformed comments plz:-?

@wraj: Well said errr....written :)

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Will sure agree with this only when I get the serious answer of what asked below:

1.If window is that much tech marvel,I just fail to understand why it haven't been able to look beyond FAT and NTFS as Linux does it with nearly all the filesystems.

Windows geeks will have to answer

2.If GRUB is such an issue,then why Windows can come up with its own boot-loader which supposedly will have a rocket science involved in it.After all,u have paid a significant amount to be their slave.

Well GRUB is not so much of an "issue".
Read this tutorial *www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html
If you don't like GRUB use a third party bootloader like GAG, see this thread
*thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96132#23

3.And I hope its has been posted with all time brilliant performer IE or Safari against Firefox,Opera and other free stuffs which really sucks.

I don't get the point you are trying to make. If you feel Firefox and Opera sucks it's your opinion. One man's meat is another man's poison.

4.Ive seen guys running pillar to post and googling it everywhere to make run CounterStrike flawlessly.But if some Distro like Ubuntu refuses to play the formats like mp3 coz of the obvious reason,donno where their exploration skills and capabilities goes off.

Mp3 is a restricted format. Even Microsoft had to settle out of court with the patent holders for bundling playback capabilities in their OS without their permission. As for games, yes that is a weak area in Linux. However, there are quite a few good non-windows games in Linux, and no, I am not talking about tetris or pacman types. I am talking about real strategy and fps games.

5.Why iTunes havent been our darling against "buggy,ugly,resource hog,free(if u think so)....." Winamp and other free alternatives?

Don't know, I use audacious on Ubuntu 8.10 (64 bit), which is very light.

I still have million and one reason to Use Linux against million and two reason to not to use Windows and other paid alternatives

Finally it's all about choice, and I think Ubuntu and OpenSUSE have given a real alternative to users. There are a few threads to help users with easy deployment of multimedia applications on this forum, see the FAQ sticky in Open Source. Learning Linux requires patience and intelligence. If you lack either, and you enjoy living with viruses and anti-virus software, you're better off with Windows.

wraj

Random Scribbler !
@NucleusKore:
Sir,u have misunderstood my points till some extent.Will make it clear one by one:
1.If GRUB is such an issue,then why Windows can come up with its own boot-loader which supposedly will have a rocket science involved in it.After all,u have paid a significant amount to be their slave
With this I meant that what if Linux would have followed the same suit of having apathy towards other OS.Install Linux over Windows,you be greeted with a bootloader to make into either of them.But just install Windows over Linux,and you would come up a very familiar error.It would be much nicer to see Windows looking beyond its monopoly and giving some love to other OS too as Linux gives it to its counterparts(or contenders).
And yes,I am too aware of third party boot loaders.But again,its seems to be Linux's or any third parties' attempt,NOT the one from Redmond.I would like to see the same concern from MS guys who cant look beyond their own territory.

2.And I hope its been posted with all time brilliant performer IE or Safari against Firefox,Opera and other free stuffs which really sucks
I with this meant that,according to him,Firefox,Opera and other free alternatives would have been a pain to use.It is because of them being free,as he insisted that "how can anything be free and work perfect".So as per him,IE and Safari should be a brilliant performer according to him.And you must be aware of the fact and truth.
I took these browsers as an example just to make him rethink if he is using either of the above to make it to this post.
3.Ive seen guys running pillar to post and googling it everywhere to make run CounterStrike flawlessly.But if some Distro like Ubuntu refuses to play the formats like mp3 coz of the obvious reason,donno where their exploration skills and capabilities goes off
Sadly,u again missed the point in here.I meant to say that one would go to any extent to make silly and unimportant things work over windows(I admit to have used GAMES for this purpose,but u are free to choose any other time killers),but when it comes to Linux,does mp3 playibility really needs a seasoned Linux User to make it happen?Then why these guys use their same exploration or troubleshooting skills over Linux too.Isnt this a step treatment or some kind of apathy.
And as for mp3 restriction and legal issues,I urge to to re-read me saying "...But if some Distro like Ubuntu refuses to play the formats like mp3 coz of the obvious reason...."
4.Why iTunes havent been our darling against "buggy,ugly,resource hog,free(if u think so)....." Winamp and other free alternatives?
Here again I raised the issue of freebies being more potent that the paid counterparts.And dont say that iTunes or WMP are free alternatives(MS too found itself loosing the battle in BUNDLING arena).As per him,Winamp should have been a sucker too as its free.But conduct a poll here in this forum for Windows user,you get the facts right.
And yes,audacious too is my default player in Linux apart from Rhythmbox and Banshee.

5.I still have million and one reason to Use Linux against million and two reason to not to use Windows and other paid alternatives
The answer is hidden in your own given words ".....Finally it's all about choice".This is exactly what I insisted upon.Then why the biased and unfair comments like "dude linux sux..dont use it. how can anything be free and work perfect, use mac its perfect or if money is the issue try windows..whatever this grub u r talkin is an excampel of the same..things r silly in linux... ???

There are a few threads to help users with easy deployment of multimedia applications on this forum, see the FAQ sticky in Open Source. Learning Linux requires patience and intelligence. If you lack either, and you enjoy living with viruses and anti-virus software, you're better off with Windows
This is what he should learn NOT me given that I already realize the above facts.

@Bluish
I am not supporting Linux but supporting Linux users by trying to give the answer to their queries.And if this is a sin,Id also like NucleusKore to be penalised for his generous offering of service packs and meticulous attempt to keep this open source alive and kicking along with another volunteers(And I hope NucleusKore wont take this otherwise,AGAIN).

@rahimveron
Only you seem to have deciphered what I meant to say.

Rahim

Married!
^The error is quite obvious. There is NO root (ext3) partition at all for Grub to find the stage1 file!! He has to re-install the distro again.

@Gautham:Off-topic: GRAMPS try kiya?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@gambit

Gambit is the answer sometime :D And that was reason to opt Linux among others

vinayasurya

Journeyman
If you are using Windows XP . Boot from the Windows XP CD. Select recovery console . In the command prompt issue the command fixmbr . Give yes to the confirmation message. I think your problem will be solved.

This writes are a new mbr. It won't fix the grub. But your system will boot to Windows.

Otherwise you can install Ubuntu back. Get back the grub and solve the issue.

wraj

Random Scribbler !
But given that his Ubuntu partition went for the toss,he'll in either case will have to reinstall the Ubuntu which will automatically put MBR on the track by rewriting it.

Bluish

Right off the assembly line
Sorry for being offtopic
@wraj:
I think u've misunderstood me. I just wanted to point out @NucleusKore's( pardon me ) mistake of misunderstanding you. Didn't mean any offense.
I'm a linux user too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom