Graphics Cards related queries here.

amitjha

Broken In
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

hello to all...
well this is my first post post at the digit forums and its question. I am more on software side of geekness so i dont understand all the hardware terminology. So i want you people to help me out. I recently played Call of duty 4 at my friends place and I became fan of the game at once. So I am planning to buy the game for myself but my PC doesn't has a GPU, and my motherboard is some 845 based chipset from Gigabyte(what the hell is chipset anyways :confused:).
So am planning to upgrade my box and I even searched the net for options but that confused me a lot. I can't understand why asus is making motherboard using intel socket and what not, what's SLI, AGP based card and PCI based card and all such things which might interest you people.

So please tell me in a layman's term which brand which model of motherboard, Processor and GPU to buy given my budget of Rs.25000.

Please suggest a motherboard which has SATA support and atleast two PATA(well am not a complete dumb as u might have guessed) ports as I have 300gb pata hard disk and a DVD-writer which is also PATA based i think and i dont want to waste them, DDR2 RAM support, firewire and WI-FI support too.

As for processor I currently have a Pentium IV and I am also looking to change this though am not clear about diffrence in Pentium D, Core 2 Duo, dual core and all when there speed is less than my PIV(3.02ghz). So suggest a processor based on your experience.

And finally for Graphics Card, i dont have any knowledge or expectations except that it should have atleast 512 MB memory(as COD4 requires that much) and it should be able to play most games easily.

Also would a 500W PSU will be enough for all this or not.

Well I think it's become a long post for a tiny question but please bear with me and do suggest something which is understandable by me. Also if anyone of you could provide me some links where I can clear my concepts regarding all this I would be highly indebted.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

@amitjha

ok buddy for Rs.25,000

Abit IP35e motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
MSI 8800GT OC
and seeing ur mob's age i dont think u will have DDR2 !!! so better get 2GB DDR2 RAM!!

cheerzzzzzz!!!!

saiyaman

Journeyman

the reason behind this could be your smps which is low in watts or it could be UPS which restricts maximum usage by smps.for safety sake you should have 550watts smps and 700watts ups
Erm well I have a Cooler Master Extreme 600W. About the UPS I need to find out.

And o yeah one more thing. I found out that if I restart my PC after it gets hanged, no problem shows up. :|

Last edited:

ancientrites

In the zone

Erm well I have a Cooler Master Extreme 600W. About the UPS I need to find out.

And o yeah one more thing. I found out that if I restart my PC after it gets hanged, no problem shows up. :|

ok forget about ups start the pc give direct connection to socket and let us know if it still hangs while playing high end games.if there is no problem then buy new ups with high watts.if the result is still same then that could be RAM problem other than that i dont know what could be other problem unless you do clean format.

fire

Broken In
Suggest new graphics card...Urgent

Hey guys...m having Intel D102GCC2 motherbaord n not at all satisfied with the onboard graphics...so finally decided to go 4 a graphics card...budget is 4-5k....
current config is Intel pentium-D( 3.4GHz), D102GCC2 motherboad with 1.5G of DDR2.
Monitor is 17" LCD of LG.

It would b nice if u pls suggest some gud graphics card with gud value for money...

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

@amitjha

ok buddy for Rs.25,000

Abit IP35e motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
MSI 8800GT OC
and seeing ur mob's age i dont think u will have DDR2 !!! so better get 2GB DDR2 RAM!!

cheerzzzzzz!!!!

dont go for msi 8800gt go msi hd4870 OC.. performs much better than 8800gt.. u could also go for only msi hd4870.. is will be slightly cheaper than the overclocked one

amitjha

Broken In

thanks Kpower for such a prompt reply... I checked abit's site for IP35e and the product has been discontinued, also this board doesn't has Wi-Fi.. So please tell me about some motherboard having Wi-Fi as well as 2 IDE ports..

Also i have heard that nvidia is the best in graphics card then shouldn't I go for Nvidia than MSI.

And as night-rider says that this config is above my budget so could you please also mention the approx. prices in delhi of any suggestions you make....

Thanks a lot again guys for taking time to answer my questions....

BTW, do prices of mobo and graphics card differ greatly in dubai and india... if yes then please tell me coz someone from family is going to dubai and if it costs cheap over there then i'll get it from there only... So please tell me about prices of these hardwares in dubai if anyone of you has idea.....

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^ MSI produces cards using the gpu made by nvidia.. .rite now , nvidia is the best but not VFM . ..i suggest u get radeon 4850 for 11k. . its much much better than the similarly priced nvidia 8800GT .

prices of g-cards do differ a lot. . but getting from dubai causes some problems. .warranty will be a BIG problem in case u need it. .(many a times , u'll need it , so dont think its a very remote issue ). .

Hi all,
i want to buy geforce 8600gts, which one is the best model of this GPU.

Board: Intel DG965RY
processor: Intel Dual Core 3.4 Ghz.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

Hi all,
i want to buy geforce 8600gts, which one is the best model of this GPU.

Board: Intel DG965RY
processor: Intel Dual Core 3.4 Ghz.

better buy ati hd 4850... u'll have to increase ur budget .. or go for hd 3870.& hd3850..
I suggest palit,sapphire & MSI brands.. palit is cheapest

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^ radeon 3870 / 3850 both priced above 10k arent good enough. radeon 4850 all the way ..

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

radeon 4850 will work fine in ur slot. . u can increase ur budget to 11k . its worth it.

i hope u have a good enough smps to run the card. . .7k , i dont think u have much of a choice. . if u can get radeon 3850 at 7k , its good..

Jayanth.M.P

Journeyman

Is Plait 4850 a good buy ? No other brand is available in Bangalore. If anyone knows of any other brand available here or price of any make 4850 card please post.....

ashfame

Padawan

Is Plait 4850 a good buy ? No other brand is available in Bangalore. If anyone knows of any other brand available here or price of any make 4850 card please post.....

Its good. There is not much difference in brands, buy anyone that you can find cheap. I ordered for a Sapphire and the dealer gave me Palit anyway. :D

Can anyone tell me how to find out if ur system supports an AGP or PCI card or something else( i am a complete novice in cards,don't know a thing and eager for knowledge)................Also what is the cheapest 128MB GFX card available(not a very rich guy u know)...................and, i have an onboard 128MB Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family, now if i install an external card will a game use both the card's graphics memory or will it use only 1................For e.g if a game requires a 256 MB card and i install a 128 MB card in addition to the onboard one stated above will the game use both the onboard and off-board card or will it use only one of them.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^ what u're talking about is called hybrid SLI .. both onboard+gfx card. . nope, it doesnt happen in 945 chipsets.. so if u put a discreet g-card , then onboard will be disabled. whats ur budget ? cheapest maybe geforce 6200 - 1.8k or something , but not worth it. u're onboard may perform better. whats ur budget ?

Top Bottom