Graphics Cards related queries here.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

7200 bucks for 8600GT aint worth it. . make it 9k and get 9600GT and u'll get double the performance . .

palit may not be all that popular in india , but that doesnt mean that it makes bad cards. . XFX is very popular and look at its 8600GT . . .lets not get biased by popularity .. and pailt AFAIK is a known brand internationally. . and frankly , sparkle aint a top brand like XFX , is it ?

lets not continue this discussion as its quite pointless. most manufacturers stick to the reference design. . so whatever manufacturer u pick , make sure its got good cooling. .

palit sonic cards have good coolers i felt . .
look at palit 9600GT sonic temps.
*www.legitreviews.com/article/666/14/

i havent been able to find 8600 reviews yet .. .

BTW , why not go4 evga ?
*theitwares.com/gfxcards/gfxcards.htm
this seems to be a good deal . ..

EDIT - found a palit 8600GT OCing review . *sg.vr-zone.com/articles/First_Look_at_Overclocking_the_8600GT!/4925-3.html
although temps aint given , if its OCing that well . .unOCed temps must be damn low and OCed temps within limits. .

Last edited:
P

paranj

Did i say Palit aint good.? And sure Sparkle's no match for XFX. I myself own a XFX card. And it does make much more sense to get a XFX 9600GT than spending 7k on a 70% slower 8600GT :D u got that r8:D

nvidia

-----ATi-----

as u claim XFX does have sum problem and that is over-heating. Did u ever hear abt the XFX 8600GT Electric Stove Version? Nope? Just browse this thread! Go for ASUS EN8600GT 256MB GDDR3
I'm the proud owner of the electric stove version of the 8600GT:D :p

7200 bucks for 8600GT aint worth it. . make it 9k and get 9600GT and u'll get double the performance . .
+1
There is no point in paying 7.2k for an 8600GT now. Its best to increase budget and go for the 9600GT or wait for a price cut. 8600GT is history now and its an entry-level graphics card.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

I want to buy Geforce 8600.
I would like to know the latest prices of both GT and GTS models.(I can get XFX or Sparkle so it would be awesome if I can get all the prices)

Edit:I read in some previous posts that XFX has some problems.Should I go with Sparkle?

I'd say go with MSI cuz their cards are generally good & dont have any problems.. Have u thought abt ATi..

nvidia

-----ATi-----

^^I dont think there is any ATi card which offers the same performance at a cheaper price...
But whoever is buying 8600GT should stay away from XFX.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz

hmm...may be that boy is thinking "Electric Stove" as some sort of specific 8600GT model!! :p :D Ok, lemme clear this. XFX 8600GT UDF7 is famous due to its amazing heating capability! Even @ idle, the card is capable of producing 50-55 degrees of heat! :D :D So, u can very well imagine its capabilities @ load!! Around the globe, there are many claiming to have touched 88 or even 90 degrees!
Even we have our own raining xfx 8600GT owner, claiming beyond 100 degrees of Celsius!!! :D :D Isnt that gr8? Due to such spectacular capabilities of UDF7 model...it was inevitable that the card got its own name! And so, the proud owners of XFX 8600GT UDF7 models begin calling the legend as "Electric Stove" 8600GT!
And yeah...u can boil the water at 100 degrees !! :D :D hehe...

@sagargv,
when i got mine, i talked to XFX directly! However, after few months of usage, i realized that besides heating, the card has got some potential also! Plus, except increase in temperature...nothing bad happened. No hangups no crashes no restarts! It was perfectly alright. But yep, this all was, when card was under 80-85 degrees! Beyond that...funnier things happen. So, i went for few cooling solutions. And even today, its working fine! :)

nvidia

-----ATi-----

^^ did u get ur electric stove replaced ?
Yeah.. Im gonna get it replaced.. I told my vendor about it and he said he'll get it replaced..

Even we have our own raining xfx 8600GT owner, claiming beyond 100 degrees of Celsius!!!
Thats me... 109C is the temperature attained while running 3-d mark triangle test with the default fan on the card + 2 fans on the sides of the cabinet.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

Yeah.. Im gonna get it replaced.. I told my vendor about it and he said he'll get it replaced..

Thats me... 109C is the temperature attained while running 3-d mark triangle test with the default fan on the card + 2 fans on the sides of the cabinet.

i think u should goto rashi directly. . my vendor could not get the replacement. . but rashi gave it in 3-4 days time only because they were out of stock . .otherwise , i would have got immediate replacement. .

hmm...may be that boy is thinking "Electric Stove" as some sort of specific 8600GT model!! :p :D Ok, lemme clear this. XFX 8600GT UDF7 is famous due to its amazing heating capability! Even @ idle, the card is capable of producing 50-55 degrees of heat! :D :D So, u can very well imagine its capabilities @ load!! Around the globe, there are many claiming to have touched 88 or even 90 degrees!
Even we have our own raining xfx 8600GT owner, claiming beyond 100 degrees of Celsius!!! :D :D Isnt that gr8? Due to such spectacular capabilities of UDF7 model...it was inevitable that the card got its own name! And so, the proud owners of XFX 8600GT UDF7 models begin calling the legend as "Electric Stove" 8600GT!
And yeah...u can boil the water at 100 degrees !! :D :D hehe...

@sagargv,
when i got mine, i talked to XFX directly! However, after few months of usage, i realized that besides heating, the card has got some potential also! Plus, except increase in temperature...nothing bad happened. No hangups no crashes no restarts! It was perfectly alright. But yep, this all was, when card was under 80-85 degrees! Beyond that...funnier things happen. So, i went for few cooling solutions. And even today, its working fine! :)

what potential has the card got ? what funnier things ?

u speak in riddles. . even i had that udf7 model . . idle - 62C . load . max i saw 105C. . no crashes . .but i got it replaced. .

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz

^^riddles? Ohh..sorry for those words then! I thought, u would have understand! You got ur card replaced! So, urs is UDF3 now??
What potential?? Well, the card overclocks amazingly than other typical 8600GT models!! I think thats not enough for u! And by funnier things...i meant behaving as its not supposed to!! :p Btw, mine is still UDF7, and in the last post..i mentioned everything about my card! I dont know...where are the riddles??

andysmith45

Broken In

Unfortunately, I could only find MSI 8600GT (512 MB, DDR2). But the 256 MB GDDR3 version of Palit and Sparkle are available. Which ones should I go for? R there any issues with the 8600 GT (256 MB, GDDR3) cards from palit & sparkle especially regarding heat and fan noise? Btw, how much does Asus 8600GT (256 MB, GDDR3) cost?

MSI 8600GT (512 MB DDR2) is available for Rs 4400/- while I can order MSI 8600GT-T2D (256 MB, GDDR3) for Rs. 6,188/- inclusive of all taxes. Sparkle 8600GT (256 MB, GDDR3) is available with another dealer for Rs 5100/-. Another dealer (within walking distance from my house) is offering Simmtronics 8600GT (256 MB. GDDR3) for Rs. 5700/- & he says that palit 8600GT (256 MB, GDDR3) will cost slightly more. I don't know if it is the sonic version but I doubt it.

I am still confuse. Assuming I don't get the MSI 8600GT (256 MB, GDDR3); should I go for palit (non-sonic version) or sparkle or for the MSI gfx with 512 MB DDR2 for only 4400/-. How much diff. in performance is there anyway between 256 MB GDDR3 & the 512 MB DDR2 version of 8600GT?

Does any among the msi, palit, simmtronics & sparkle 8600 GT req. a PCI-E power connector? I have heard that the palit 8600GT is a dual-slot card, wat does this mean?

ASUS EN8600GT costs around 6800 - 7200. Confirmation? but its around that mark.

Does Asus 8600GT (256 MB, GDDR3) really cost that much? If it does, then it is too expensive for me.

Last edited:

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

There is no point in paying 7.2k for an 8600GT now. Its best to increase budget and go for the 9600GT or wait for a price cut. 8600GT is history now and its an entry-level graphics card.
Not possible.I don't have enough Power Supply and PCI 2.0.:(

P

paranj

Price change - The XFX 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 costs around 5900 only :D :D not joking. My friend got it yesterday:)

neelu09

Broken In

i also planning to buy a 8600GT.......but what brand(same prob. as andy)

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz

@andy & neelu,
A GDDR3 always performs better than a DDR2! Same applies with GPUs also. Hence, at all costs, make sure to go for a 8600GT with DDR3 chips! If MSI 8600GT with DDR3 is available...then go for it! :) its good! And 8600GT doesnt require external supply!
A dual slot design means that the fan takes an additional expansion slot inside your system. For standard single card systems this will likely not be a problem. However, for gamers that are running dual cards in Crossfire mode, the dual slot designs takes up the extra available space! All in all, the design is quite good for GPU and keep it cool during operation! :)
Yes, Palit 8600GT Super and Sonic models are dual slot cards! And yep...credits to the nice performing Zalman Cooler on the GPUs!
And lastly, if none of them are available, then go with XFX! :D
By the way, going with 8600GT at such point of time...doesnt make sense! IMO, try saving some, wait and simply go for 9600GT! A far better option!

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE

Guys! The month ahead is going to be the month of Graphics cards. There will be some high end and some low end graphics cards for everyone . So choose wisely!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Price change - The XFX 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 costs around 5900 only :D :D not joking. My friend got it yesterday:)

Is this a revised edition. Can you also check the temperatures?? Looks like they have now added a high end cooling fan and increased the cost. Anyways, 8600gt for 6k is not a good option when you are have 9600 avaialable for 8k ( price certainly going to come down in few weeks)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@arsenal_gunners , pcie 2.0 slot aint a problem . .9600GT will work fine with no performance loss in a pcie 1.1 slot which u have . .but psu will be a problem . .

pay nothing more than 5k for a 8600GT as others have suggested. .

@andysmith45 , if u want to buy locally and these are the only options u have . best bet is sparkle 8600GT gddr3 for 5.1k .
i think u should contact theitwares ( Mr. Rahul ) and order a evga 8600GT 256mb gddr3 for 5k. paying 6k for a better cooler on a 8600GT is pointless.

And for those low on budget , the palit 8600GT 256mb gddr3 has been quoted for 4k in theitwares which makes it a sweet deal .. i dont think its the sonic version , but its worth a look . .

P

paranj

@dessibond - dunno if its the new edition or not! XFX 9600GT is the cheapest right now. Rs.9300. GPUs are getting dirt cheap now a days:D

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot

I just inquired the rates and found that Palit 8600GT is Rs.4400.Is that a fair rate,I told the guy to confirm if it is GDDR3,I am not sure.
Sorry for acting dumb but I have been out of touch with GFX cards for a long time and there are too many brands and models avaiable:p

Edit: Is 400W power supply enough for 9600GT?

Last edited:
Top Bottom