Graphics Cards related queries here.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

have u tried 3D Mark 03 nd 06. Maybe the 05 version has some issue with the x64 windows.
Also how much mem is free?

Samee

Broken In

Free memory is around 400 MB.

I didn't try 3dmark 03, did try 3dmark 06. The problem remains.

Also running 3dmark in both Xp pro and Xp Pro 64.

Samee

Broken In

Was using forceware 91.47, but installed 92.91 beta (gave a 2 fps increase).
Mobo Drivers: Nforce4 6.86 (Latest from the Nvidia site).
BIOS version is 1013.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

The 9xxx series drivers are totally crappy nd many people r gettin huge perfomance hit with this new driver. Install the 84xx or 88xx drivers. Its the best in perfomance nd stability.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

Also try NGO optimised drivers. They performs more nd many reg tweaks are done already like coolbits nd all.

Samee

Broken In

Installed and tried the following drivers.

84.56 whql drivers
NGO optimized 84.66
NGO optimized 91.47

still the same problem, vertex shader performance is low. :(

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

It's barely even available in the US. Will take a while before it's available here.
The price there is $99 so expect it to about Rs. 6,000 here.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Help me people!

My config is as follows.
Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
256 X 2 400MHz DDR
Big Nvidia 6600 256 MB (Non GT)
etc etc

My problem is, my 3dmark 05 score is very low (around 1800).

When i run the features test, Pixel Shader tests run fine ( fps around 60), but the Vertex shader tests give me fps around 2 fps

I am running XP Pro + XP Pro 64, latest drivers and direct X.

Is there a problem with my Card?

Well .. 6600 isn't a great card ... my old 6600GT gave around ~3300 .. so u can expect something around 2000 ...

Also .. the pixel shader test is dependent on the pixel shading capabilites .. now the 6600 has 8 pp and 3 vp ... rite ???

Also .. the overall scores in 3DMark05 is dependent on the game tests only .. so th later tests will not effect ur scores ..

And about the drivers .. i'm using 91.45 and those are great ... i personally don't have any complains about 9x.xx ... except the new CP .. which is getting more polished with every new release .. plus with the newer 9x.xx drivers u get "transparency AA" with the 6 series card :D

akshayt

Wise Old Owl

Check the normal scores for a 6600. Also, 2 FPS was probably during CPU tests, happens to one and all.

Samee

Broken In

@deathvirus_me : yes you are right! (8 pp and 3 vp). That means this card s**** ?

@akshayt: nope, they were not for CPU tests.

I'm starting to think of increasing my RAM and change the GFX card, any suggestions?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

Its not a gud move to upgrade ur card now, as u can hanle most games at least playable frames for at least when DX10 cards r released. It won't be too far. Dun waste money for a 6 series or 7 series now.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl

If you want a sub 10k dx 10 card then you will end up waiting atleast 6 months at the minimum. After about 12 months you would anyways have upgraded, so it makes much more sense to get a new card like the 7600GT now.

Samee

Broken In

Thanks for the help!

I think i'll wait for a few months, as the games i play now are very playable!
I mostly play Counter Strike Source. Get about 70-80 fps!

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Well ... 8 pp and 3 vp isn't bad ... just that u can't really turn up the res. and aa ... but as u mentioned Counter Strike .. i think u can manage 1280*960 with 2x aa easily .. and get over 50 fps anyday ..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

Keep ocing the card in case u need more fps till u get ur new cars when DX10 cards r launched. Its not that far away as many games r about to be launched which boasts of supporting DX10 like the UT07, Gears of War nd Crysis.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Well .. the 6600 can hit 550 easily on the core .. though u shouldn't push the mem. much beyond 600 ...

Top Bottom