Graphics Cards related queries here.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please refer to my query above. I went ahead and purchased the Galax 1060 6gb and got it delivered today. However, after opening the package, I found the rear bracket to be bent. The packaging was fine and there was no sign of tampering though. I managed to apply some pressure and straighten it somewhat. The card works, but my OCD has kicked in and I have already mailed mdcomputers asking for a replacement. Not sure whether they will provide me one.

I wonder how a brand new card could arrive in this condition. Has anyone had such an experience?

View attachment 18018

The gpux box was sealed correctly, right ? Don't mean to defame but I've seen MD computers guys selling DVI adapter out of a new GPU box though it was long back. Anyway, I've got motherboard in a sealed box with a broken heatsink ie one of the tow legs of motherboard north bridge heatsink was broken - XFX 650i Ultra. Glued it down and MB ran for tow days and then went into non working state. went to service center and got replacement.

riturajsharma19

Broken In
The gpux box was sealed correctly, right ? Don't mean to defame but I've seen MD computers guys selling DVI adapter out of a new GPU box though it was long back. Anyway, I've got motherboard in a sealed box with a broken heatsink ie one of the tow legs of motherboard north bridge heatsink was broken - XFX 650i Ultra. Glued it down and MB ran for tow days and then went into non working state. went to service center and got replacement.

There was no evidence of tampering on the GPU box and all seals were intact, which makes the bent bracket even more surprising. A mild bending of the bracket wouldn't have been an issue, but this was a severe bend. Not sure whether Mdcomputers or Galax will provide me a replacement.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was no evidence of tampering on the GPU box and all seals were intact, which makes the bent bracket even more surprising. A mild bending of the bracket wouldn't have been an issue, but this was a severe bend. Not sure whether Mdcomputers or Galax will provide me a replacement.

I can understand your pain ... you are taking the honest path about informing the retailer about the incident. I hope and pray you get a replacement product soon.

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Hello all,

Its been 3 years that i got suggestion form here to buy r9 290,and it performed outstanding till now without any issue
now i want upgrade to nvidia, so i just wan5t to ask what should i go with one of the below mentioned gpus:-

1. rtx 2080
2.rtx 2070
3. gtx 1080 or ti

please suggest me something that would be my fututre proof gpu as i am not just going to gain with it but also be using it for
MACHINE LEARNING,DEEP LEARNING WORKS.

Looking forward!

quicky008

Technomancer
if you've the budget and want something that will be future proof,you can certainly get any of the RTX series gpus.Out of 2080 and 2070,the latter seems to be a more VFM proposition and so that's the one i'd recommend.

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
if you've the budget and want something that will be future proof,you can certainly get any of the RTX series gpus.Out of 2080 and 2070,the latter seems to be a more VFM proposition and so that's the one i'd recommend.
Thanks for the suggestion but I found 1080Ti to be performing better and thats where i am a bit stuck. Through I know Turing tech is going to be the next level than Pascal for all upcoming games.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello all,

Its been 3 years that i got suggestion form here to buy r9 290,and it performed outstanding till now without any issue
now i want upgrade to nvidia, so i just wan5t to ask what should i go with one of the below mentioned gpus:-

1. rtx 2080
2.rtx 2070
3. gtx 1080 or ti

please suggest me something that would be my fututre proof gpu as i am not just going to gain with it but also be using it for
MACHINE LEARNING,DEEP LEARNING WORKS.

Looking forward!

If you can wait for AMD navi

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
If you can wait for AMD navi
man, I have beeen waiting for your reply!! So good to see you. Its you who wanted me and suggested to get R9 290 but I honestly I want to try out a Nvidia , so Can you please suggest me on that? I need the CUDA'S for computer vision project

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
just out of curiosity,what software projects are you working on currently?Are you an AI/data science programmer?What's the goal of your vision project?

I had recommended the 2070 to you earlier,although i dont profess to be an authority on AI,i think the tensor cores featured in the rtx gpus are helpful for computational tasks that involve AI/deep learning etc.Although 1080 maybe a better performer when it comes to gaming,it doesn't have any tensor cores which puts it squarely at a disadvantage while dealing with the aforesaid tasks.

If you've an even higher budget,you could also get a RTX 2080ti,which is a much more capable card than the 2070.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
man, I have beeen waiting for your reply!! So good to see you. Its you who wanted me and suggested to get R9 290 but I honestly I want to try out a Nvidia , so Can you please suggest me on that? I need the CUDA'S for computer vision project

This will give you the answers you want :
Which GPU(s) to Get for Deep Learning

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
This will give you the answers you want :
Which GPU(s) to Get for Deep Learning
Hey @topgear , I did check your thread quite deeply and thanks fro the help. Clearly a RTX 2080 is going to be best choice for me as I understood. Now I would wait for your say , on what copany to choose.
I was hoping for Gigabyte

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asus & Zotac are preferred for Nvidia cards,Gigabyte cards quality is lower compared to these two.If you really want to buy Gigabyte then note/save the gigabyte rep contact info in reddit Indiangaming section( eddie_edits (u/eddie_edits) - Reddit ),he is quite active there & helps people in getting their RMA issue resolved quickly once he gets to know about it. Of course I still prefer Asus(good experience with their other products RMA) & Zotac(gives 2+extra 3 years warranty on online registration within 28 days of buying).

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Asus & Zotac are preferred for Nvidia cards,Gigabyte cards quality is lower compared to these two.If you really want to buy Gigabyte then note/save the gigabyte rep contact info in reddit Indiangaming section( eddie_edits (u/eddie_edits) - Reddit ),he is quite active there & helps people in getting their RMA issue resolved quickly once he gets to know about it. Of course I still prefer Asus(good experience with their other products RMA) & Zotac(gives 2+extra 3 years warranty on online registration within 28 days of buying).
So going for zotact wuld be a good idea it seems. I am also using ASUS ,GFX R9 290 and its really doing well over the years. You are correct . But i thought to use giagbyte due to their quality and you are saying its not upto the mark.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only higher end gigabyte cards are good but similar quality is available from asus & zotac for lesser prices so no point in going for those models.

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Only higher end gigabyte cards are good but similar quality is available from asus & zotac for lesser prices so no point in going for those models.
Higher end in the sense? I am thinking to get Zotac since it will be having an extra Warranty advantage

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends & sometimes it may not be true.e.g.Gigabyte 2080 Auros Extreme is costlier than gigabyte 2080 gaming OC but runs hotter & louder( Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Xtreme 8G Review | KitGuru - Part 16 ).One can safely skip Gigabyte altogether for a similarly priced zotac/asus model in most cases.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, Even I would say skip Gigabyte if you are into buying a graphics card. Asus and Zotac are just fine.

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
I recently Saw that there has been a release of RTX Super Series. I really wish to know that should I buy a normal Series or a SUper series.
Also I am getting GALAXY available here in kolkata, should I go for it ? I will be upgrading to Either i7 or Ryzen , so kindly let me know

sniperz1

Journeyman
I have a Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3 processor with Asus H97 Pro mobo.
Recently my R9 290 stopped working. Looking to replace that without replacing the entire unit, but also look for some kind of future proofing atleast for the next few years incase my CPU or MOBO gives up.
Will 1660 be a good option and compatible with my specs or should I go for something else?

bala_cpu

Broken In
I recently Saw that there has been a release of RTX Super Series. I really wish to know that should I buy a normal Series or a SUper series.
Also I am getting GALAXY available here in kolkata, should I go for it ? I will be upgrading to Either i7 or Ryzen , so kindly let me know

go for super , AFAIK nvidia launched the super series with same pricing as the regular RTX models.

Top Bottom