Graphics Cards related queries here.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Is now a good time to buy an used nvidia gpu,such as a gtx 1060 for about 18-22k?As of now many of them are currently available for purchase on sites like olx,quikr etc-probably being sold off by people who bought them for mining but have no longer any use for them.Will the upcoming volta series gpus likely to make them totally obsolete,given that they will feature real time ray tracing capabilities which are absent from all the older-gen gpus that have been released by nvidia as well as amd till date?
Don't buy it.

I heard that due to increase in size of DAG file people are selling their video cards. Looks like they are in for loss in Cryptocurrency

quicky008

Technomancer
it seems the market is being flooded by a huge number of used gpus these days,particularly gtx 1060s-the owners of these cards usually claim that they were used only for a few months for "moderate gaming" only :|

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it seems the market is being flooded by a huge number of used gpus these days,particularly gtx 1060s-the owners of these cards usually claim that they were used only for a few months for "moderate gaming" only :|

Read Heavy Mining - Karma pays off .

quicky008

Technomancer
i am getting a used Asus R9 380 for about Rs 8000-the buyer claims its a new unit that he got from rma and has warranty remaining till march 2019-is it worth buying at this price?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
i am getting a used Asus R9 380 for about Rs 8000-the buyer claims its a new unit that he got from rma and has warranty remaining till march 2019-is it worth buying at this price?
If it does have warranty till mar 2018, then maybe yes. You should assume GPU will be dead as soon as mar 2018 hits, then its a brick.
So if Rs 8000, investment is good enough for you for a thing that will offer significantly better performance than low end new cards for Rs8k and will last till mar 2018, then yes go ahead

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it does have warranty till mar 2018, then maybe yes. You should assume GPU will be dead as soon as mar 2018 hits, then its a brick.
So if Rs 8000, investment is good enough for you for a thing that will offer significantly better performance than low end new cards for Rs8k and will last till mar 2018, then yes go ahead

it's March 2019 :D

Xai

Journeyman
How is after sales service for Nvidia Founders Edition handled in India? Any customer care centre in Kolkata?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

quicky008

Technomancer
does zotac accept photo copies of the bill for Rma?A friend of mine had a zotac 1050ti that conked out recently,so he wants to send it for replacement,the only problem is he has lost the original bill that he had received from the shop during purchase.

However he does have a xerox copy of that bill-will zotac's service center in kolkata accept it for RMA?

quicky008

Technomancer
^thanks a lot for confirming it-i will let him know this.

Can they consider a bill to be fake if by any chance its a photocopy and not the original?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Actually they are supposed to check bill number and confirm with their database if the sl no of product sold matches.
But in reality, these local shopkeepers rarely do that (if at all).
IF they refuse to honor warranty, ask shopkeeper for duplicate bill. They should have record of it. If that doesnt work, raise hell in zotac facebook, twitter page.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
How is after sales service for Nvidia Founders Edition handled in India? Any customer care centre in Kolkata?
It still depends through which AIB you're buying it from.

does Zotac accept photocopies of the bill for RMA?
The store owner keeps it for accounting purposes. Distributors have a record of all the serial numbers. However irrespective of the brand, in an unlikely situation where they can't find the serial number, they will need to see the physical bill- or tell you to speak to your dealer if he got through *ahem* ways.

IF they refuse to honor warranty, ask shopkeeper for duplicate bill. They should have record of it. If that doesnt work, raise hell in zotac facebook, twitter page.
The better solution would be to file these bills. I am sure folks buy other stuff with warranties, too. So it shouldn't be too hard to keep a file to store all the bills in one place. BTW, shopkeepers keep records but its easier to pull if they keep records. Usually they do if its within that financial year- or two. . If they issue print bill, they can pull it back via the product's serial number. I had some of my friend's duplicate invoice given that way.

Xai

Journeyman
So I received my 2080 Founder's Edition card.

Problem is it crashes every time I start a game. At most it crosses the title screen.

Also pc has become quite slow even with a SSD, and 1 HDD is no longer showing up.

Any idea what could be wrong? Maybe the PSU is not enough? I got a Corsair TX650.

Xai

Journeyman
Had checked and reinstalled the card. Latest drivers are installed.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Well it could be that the driver still needs some work or some other overlay software(discord, afterburner) is incompatible. But then you say 1 HDD is not showing up that could only point to PSU and its connectors. 650W should be enough though.

Xai

Journeyman
Yeah, I did not expect power consumption to exceed 450W. Guess I need to give the system a thorough dusting and re-connect everything to be sure.

Pasapa

Live to die another day
Does anyone know where i can find a list of Zotac service centres in India? I tried searching their website but couldnt find anything

Top Bottom