Graphics Cards related queries here.

Cilus

laborare est orare
All the current gen cards, including your GTS 450, are PCI-E 2.1 card n they are fully backward compatible with PCI-E 1.1. So, get the HD 6770 which is slightly better than gts 450. 2ndly, I don't think there won't be much bottleneck with any cards up to 6770. And regarding pricing, HD 6670 is available around 5.4K in most of the Online shops and around 5K locally. My friend just bought one at 5K + 4% tax today in Kolkata.

Also I think your mobo has PCI-E 2.0 compliant.

Regarding Graphics card prices provided by you, I thik GTS 450 has the best performance/price ratio. But make sure it is the 1 GB GDDR5 version, currently lots of cheap DDR3 versions are available in the market which offers far lower performance than the GDDR5 version. In fact, for all the chosen cards, make sure you're getting the GDDR5 version.

Now tell us what PSU or SMPS you're having? If it is a cheap local PSU from Frontech, Intex or Zebronics then they are not gonna support GTS 450 or other cards. Tell us the exact model number of the PSU.

murzar

Right off the assembly line
Hey!

I checked both the Zotac and MSI ones. Both are 2.0, hence asked.

Ok, i thought my mobo was 1.1, i guess i'll go with 6770 then. It costs 7200 here in chennai. Know any good retailers where I can get it from for cheaper?

BTW, I have a corsair CX430 V2.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Then no problem with the PSU, can easily handle even a HD 6850. And I think the price you've mentioned, get the GTS 450. If you're open to online purchase then check sites like:
1. Smcinternational.in
2. Theitwares.com
3. Deltapage.com
4. Techshop.in

All of them, specially the 1st three are very reliable and lots of members, including me, have experience with them.

Champ

.NET Guru
re: Basic information regarding graphic cards for newbies

My present configuration

CPU - AMD Athlon64 3200+
Mobo -Sapphire RS480
GPU - None
PSU - CM xtreme Power 380W
HDD - WD 250 GB sata 2
Ram - 1 GB (DDR 400 Mhz)
OD - Liteon Sata Drive

After my 6600Gt died 3 years back, I dont have any GPU in my system
Recently saw a deal for MSI 8800GT OC Edition in Rs. 2000

Basically planning to use system as HTPC and play .mkv files ;-), my xbox dont support that format.

Now as TDP of 8800GT is 105W Obviously OC edition will have even higher TDP.
so my queries.

1. Can cooler master 380 w will be able to run mentioned 8800GT
2. Which is wiser decision (but 2nd hand 8800Gt in Rs 2000 or any new low range card say GT430/520/HD 5550 @3.5 K (former will have better performance but might not run in my system, later lower TDp and ofcourse Brand new )

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Do you need HDMI to carry sound? For an HTPC, that is must. Get GT 430.

If you don't need sound over HDMI, buy 8800GT. Your PSU is not enough. I suggest sticking with GT 430 only.

And new PSU + 8800GT will cost around 4K. In 4K, you can buy HD 5670, which is a slightly faster card than 8800GT with much lower power consumption. Your PSU is likely to run HD 5670 fine, rather than 8800 GT.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

keep checking for used HD5670 instead of 8800GT. used HD5670 will cost ~3k but will offer better performance than 8800GT & can be overclocked (specially Sapphire with Arctic cooler).

Udayan08

*** Need Graphic Card Buying Advice Thread ***

Hi Team,

I want to buy a New Graphic Card, I have mentions my PC specs / requirement below . Kindly Suggest...

My present configuration

CPU - Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

Mobo -Gigabyte EP-45-DQ6

GPU - Zortac 9800 GT Eco Edition

PSU - CM xtreme Power plus 600W ( Model No : RS-600-PCAR-E3)

HDD(ALL SATA) - Seagate 160 GB for OS
WD 500 GB for Apps / Games
WD 1 TB for Storage
Seagate 2 TB for storage

Ram - Corsair XMS2 6 GB (DDR2 800 Mhz)

Budget for New Card : 10k - 13 K

Game resolution: 1080p ( Usually on 40" TV : Response time of 10ms )

Want to Play Crysis2 , battlefield3 GTA4 ( Unable to enjoy any of them right now)

Also suggest a online store OR Shop in NCR.

shikharrastogi

re: *** Graphic Card Buying Advice TEMPLATE ***

Hey guyz......
i want to buy a graphic card so that i can play upcomming games like GTA5 and all ....... and present games too like Crysis 2 , Battle Field 3 , Metro 2033 ,etc .
My current specs.....

AMD PHENOM IIX4 955 BLACK EDITION
2 GB X 2 RAM
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE
XFX RADEON HD 4670 1 GB DDR3
COOLER MASTER ELITE POWER 460W (will be upgrading it after 3-4 months to corsair cx 520 watt,dont worry about the PSU :) )
18.5' monitor (1366x768)

i mostly wanted to buy the hd 6850 which is costing me about 9k to 9.3 k in nehru place .... my budget is max 9.5 k
Reply fast
thankx :)

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
re: *** Graphic Card Buying Advice TEMPLATE ***

For both of you HD 6850 is the best choice.

And you both need to get a reliable PSU as well. Cooler Master Extreme and Elite Power Series are not reliable.

Cilus

laborare est orare
That is not at all any good card, infact it is a poor choice. 1st of all this middle end cards like HD 6670, HD 5670 are not powerful enough to use the 2 GB of VRam. They are just for marketting gimmik.

2ndly these cards come with 128 bit memory BUS and rely upon the high speed GDDR5 memory to get the high bandwitdh. So if you remove the GDDR5 from these cards and provide a cheaper DDR3 (Not even GDDR3) ram, more than 3 times slower than GDDR5 version, the cards will suffer from lower memory bandwidth and provide very poor performance compared to their GDDR5 counterparts.

Start reading this thread:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ormation-regarding-graphic-cards-newbies.html

murzar

By the way, forgot to let you guys know. I got the 6770! Trying it out on older games (2007-2008) for now. It runs great but I think it heats a lot.

The AMD overdrive is says 42 to 45 when idle and 67 to 74 while on load (that too old game? :O ).

I also expected my PSU to become hotter but I think it is around 55 to 60 while running a game. Is it normal?

Performance wise, no issues. Thanks guys! Owe you!

Top Bottom