Graphics Cards related queries here.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
How does a 2GB + 2GB SLI performs in modern day games ? Are they still prone to heavy stuttering and related issues ?
I am keeping another GTX960 in line-up for next year upgrade.

By that time even 2 * Gtx 960 won't cut for 1080p,games are gonna be huge demanding.
IMO It is better you save money and upgrade to powerful single gpu in future

ASHISH65

Technomancer
How long do you think a GT730 will give reasonable fps on games at 1366*768? It runs GTA V at 1080p at 25-30 fps, so any idea how it will do on 1366*768?

Shiva

Bro When Fps goes under 30,there will be lag in between and gameplay gets ruined.Gt730 will not cut even at 720p

see here Gta 5 @ 25fps at 1366*768 res with Gt730 *www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCwutbnMaQ

Atleast R7 260X is needed for stable 30 + fps

Shah

Cyborg Agent
How long do you think a GT730 will give reasonable fps on games at 1366*768? It runs GTA V at 1080p at 25-30 fps, so any idea how it will do on 1366*768?

Shiva

I agree with [MENTION=149570]ASHISH65[/MENTION]. Also, the youtube video description states that it is a quad core processor(Core i5-4440 to be exact).

The minimum requirement for GTA V is a quad-core processor. So, even if that GPU can run GTA V at 768p, your processor is gonna give up.

Bro When Fps goes under 30,there will be lag in between and gameplay gets ruined.Gt730 will not cut even at 720p

see here Gta 5 @ 25fps at 1366*768 res with Gt730 *www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCwutbnMaQ

Atleast R7 260X is needed for stable 30 + fps

30fps is like the highest I've ever got.I've had a Gt210 for 3 years.

You merely adopted the lag,I was born with it, moulded by it.I didn't cross 30fps until I was a man. :D

On a serious note, I've played tomb raider at 15-20fps and didn't mind it .30fps is pretty good enough for me :D

And I've got the card so can't do anything about it . :/ :(

Shiva

setanjan123

In the zone
30fps is like the highest I've ever got.I've had a Gt210 for 3 years.

You merely adopted the lag,I was born with it, moulded by it.I didn't cross 30fps until I was a man. :D

On a serious note, I've played tomb raider at 15-20fps and didn't mind it .30fps is pretty good enough for me :D

And I've got the card so can't do anything about it . :/ :(

Shiva
That dark Knight rises dialog

quicky008

Technomancer
AFAIK , the 2GB version has this feature. Not sure about 4 GB . The one I am talking about is from Asus.
It starts spinning when temp reaches 55-60c or more.
BTW , I am curious to know the reason to buy 4gb version. Exceeding 2gb vram ?

Well the 4 gb version of zotac GTX 960 is also supposed to have the same feature-its also clearly mentioned in the specifications of this card at their official website.Besides my 4gb gtx 960 came with a sticker containing the statement that the fans would stop spinning under low loads.Thats the reason i'm worried because the fans of the card go on spinning even when there's very little to no load on the gpu,which is something that seldom happened on my older 2gb GTX 960-i wonder whether the card might be defective or not.For the last 2 hrs the card has been completely idle but still the fans are spinning at around 1530 rpm continuously,which is not supposed to happen.I've written to zotac about this issue but they haven't replied yet.If anyone could shed some light on this matter then it would have been very helpful indeed.

vito scalleta

In the zone
Well the 4 gb version of zotac GTX 960 is also supposed to have the same feature-its also clearly mentioned in the specifications of this card at their official website.Besides my 4gb gtx 960 came with a sticker containing the statement that the fans would stop spinning under low loads.Thats the reason i'm worried because the fans of the card go on spinning even when there's very little to no load on the gpu,which is something that seldom happened on my older 2gb GTX 960-i wonder whether the card might be defective or not.For the last 2 hrs the card has been completely idle but still the fans are spinning at around 1530 rpm continuously,which is not supposed to happen.I've written to zotac about this issue but they haven't replied yet.If anyone could shed some light on this matter then it would have been very helpful indeed.

isnt it possible to adjust the fan curves manually ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think it's the summer temperature which makes the fans spin even when the card is in idle state and in a way I think it's good for the gpu.

Hrishi

I think it's the summer temperature which makes the fans spin even when the card is in idle state and in a way I think it's good for the gpu.

I don't think the fans are triggered to run based on temperature but rather the over-all load on the engine. If I recall it correctly , I read it in reviews.
Or maybe if I am wrong , then the threshold is 65C. Beyond which the fans would start spinning.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The trigger is based on temperature rather than load of the engine, not sure about your card but the threshold of my 970 is 60C.

quicky008

Technomancer
[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION]:I see,i think you maybe right.A thing that I've been noticing for the last few days is that whenever i perform a cold boot,the fans of the card remain in off state for as long as the machine is running,provided of course i don't run any kind of gpu intensive applications on my system.However when i play any game for about an hour or so,the fans are activated automatically and go on spinning even when i have exited the game and card's temperature has dropped to around 40 degrees Celsius.

The bottomline is that the fans usually don't start when i perform routine tasks on my pc eg browsing,watching videos etc but the moment when i fire up some game,they begin spinning and from what I've observed,dont stop even when the game is no longer running and the card has cooled down adequately.Can this be considered as normal behaviour for my gpu?[Then there's always the possibility that the fans don't shut down because of the intensely hot weather that we're experiencing at this time(as suggested by topgear),although there's no way to confirm that this is really the case.]

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
well based on the cards [ manufacturing ] theory the behavior looks a little odd. May be a bios fix in future should fix this. But still I like cooler gpus even if the fan have to spin. The cooler your gpu stays it will run longer.

quicky008

Technomancer
well based on the cards [ manufacturing ] theory the behavior looks a little odd. May be a bios fix in future should fix this. But still I like cooler gpus even if the fan have to spin. The cooler your gpu stays it will run longer.
Yes,the behaviour looks very odd to me as well because the fans of the 2gb Zotac GTX 960 that i had earlier used to stop spinning whenever it was not under any load-therefore as both the 4gb and 2gb cards are based primarily on a similar architecture,i expected my 4gb GTX 960 to work similarly but unfortunately it doesn't,as I've said earlier.

I wrote to Zotac's tech support department in India about this issue and this is what they replied:

"GTX960 4GB…. Fan will not spin when the GPU temperature dropped below 38C and power consumption under 13W.
So it’s not a fault, please use your card. -Swarn Singh (technical manager)"

Zotac's official description for the freeze technology states that the fans are designed to stop spinning whenever there's no load-they dont mention anything about any specific temperature ranges when this is supposed to happen,so the explanation offered by this individual to account for the peculiar behaviour of this card don't seem very convincing-i hope he's not bluffing in order to cover up the fact that the card is faulty.

But I've observed that the temps of my 4gb GTX 960 always stay between 39-43 degrees celcius even when its idle,so in the odd chance that this Swarn singh fellow was telling me the truth,there's a possibility that this what makes the fans spin even when there's virtually no load on the gpu,but unfortunately there's no way to corroborate this hypothesis because i couldn't find any proof of this fact anywhere even after searching extensively on the web.

So I'm really confused about this matter as i don't understand whether the card is okay or not-if anyone else has faced a similar problem with their gpu then please let me know.

Last edited:

alphadogg375

Right off the assembly line
hey guys! i'm new here...i have a ASUS P8 H67 ML-X motherboard, 8gb 1333mhz ram, windows 7 with a core i5-2500
i would like to buy the sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC, from flipkart. i am worried about the compatiblity of the graphics card with my motherboard. and so my question is can i buy this card? will i have any compatiablity issues, like bios etc...
thank you in advance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you will run into any compatibility issue. Just make sure you have a good PSU to run this card. Aside from that it's better if you go with GTX 970 instead as it offers more performance with far less power consumption.

alphadogg375

Right off the assembly line
I don't think you will run into any compatibility issue. Just make sure you have a good PSU to run this card. Aside from that it's better if you go with GTX 970 instead as it offers more performance with far less power consumption.

can you recommend a decent power supply, which is not costly, but gets the job done without any issues.

Top Bottom