Graphics Cards related queries here.

Piyush

Lanaya
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

I already sent it, now I'm wondering whether I sent a perfectly working card for rma:cry:, if this happens next time gonna test it in my friends pc:|
i read it here
Gray Screen Explained (5xxx Series) *Updated w/ Solution* - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

^^^
yes i saw the thread in overclock.net earlier
they say that the issue has been resolved with newer drivers(catalyst 10.3 onwards)

tkin

Back to school!!

Oh great, but mine crashed on 10.5, 10.7 and it was becoming worse, later it crashed even with crysis, and crashed with furmark and occt(which it had passed earlier), my money's on a degrading component more like a faulty memory chip, I guess its no big deal after all a few thousand cards are bound to go wrong and guess my card was one such, but the card was sweet, crysis warhead enthusiast shaders no aa and framerate never dropped below 30, super sweet.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

@Tkin
afaik there are two causes for gsod
1)Software bug(currently resolved by newer catalyst)
2)Faulty hardware normally in the first batches of HD5xxx reference cards
the object at fault in general are the memory chips!!
that is why it is often advised to people to get higher priced non reference versions over reference cards
since the 3rd party companies like msi and gigabyte extensively check their hd5xxx chips for known anomaliies before modding them finally!!

the card you bought at hat shop must have been one of the first batch, hence the gsod
don't worry you've done the right thing rma'ing the card
most likely they will send you a newer batch reference xfx 5850
till then, hold tight!!:)

tkin

Back to school!!

@Tkin
afaik there are two causes for gsod
1)Software bug(currently resolved by newer catalyst)
2)Faulty hardware normally in the first batches of HD5xxx reference cards
the object at fault in general are the memory chips!!
that is why it is often advised to people to get higher priced non reference versions over reference cards
since the 3rd party companies like msi and gigabyte extensively check their hd5xxx chips for known anomaliies before modding them finally!!

the card you bought at hat shop must have been one of the first batch, hence the gsod
don't worry you've done the right thing rma'ing the card
most likely they will send you a newer batch reference xfx 5850
till then, hold tight!!:)
That's the best case scenario, hoping for the best, although mine was a non reference one but maybe from the first batch(though it did say ver 3.1 on the box), wish that they send me a new replacement from the production lines:fc_bat: the new batch is surely to have corrected those hardware faults. If it happens again(god help me) :censored: I'll check it out in my friend's system, previously I had an issue with my rams and the mobo, later asus brought out a bios update that had a compatibility fix with that specific brand of ram only, but maybe its the rams(always wanted an excuse to get OCZ/corsair rams) :meditate:

What's weird is that this is the best rated HD5850 in new egg, this HD5850 comes up first if you sort the HD5850 search page in new egg according to best rating, not even a single 1/2 egg review.

Look at the first card: *www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList...7320 600007601&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon HD 5850

This is the model: *www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150477

vinitg

Right off the assembly line

Hi guys, Logged into this forum after more than 5 yrs.. (You last visited: 29-03-2005 at 02:50 PM).. great going guys..

I have an Intel P965 based mobo having PCI-Express x16. had XFX GeForce 8600GT graphic card on it which conked off. can u guys suggest any current graphic card which will be compatible with this mobo? i can spend upto 5K and need to play GTA IV. other specs include Core 2 Duo 6320 processor @i.86 ghz and 4 gb ram. i have it dual booted to xp and win 7.

Will be great to have feedback from u guys,
Thanks.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

Hi guys, Logged into this forum after more than 5 yrs.. (You last visited: 29-03-2005 at 02:50 PM).. great going guys..

I have an Intel P965 based mobo having PCI-Express x16. had XFX GeForce 8600GT graphic card on it which conked off. can u guys suggest any current graphic card which will be compatible with this mobo? i can spend upto 5K and need to play GTA IV. other specs include Core 2 Duo 6320 processor @i.86 ghz and 4 gb ram. i have it dual booted to xp and win 7.

Will be great to have feedback from u guys,
Thanks.

Well,welcome back! :)

Hmmmm...in that price range, u have the GT240 1GB from the nvidia stables,or u could go for the HD5570 1GB from ATI. Also,u might actually pick up a HD5670 1GB for around 5k,if you're lucky :D
Happy hunting... :p

vinitg

Right off the assembly line

Thanks Mukherjee saab for the quick reply. my vendor quoted 7200 for GT240 and 5600 for ati 5570. for 9600 gt 512 he quoted 5400. am a bit confused as to what to buy. also i suppose all these pci-e 2.0 cards will work on my pci-e 16x mobo.

am trying to search for reviews on digit. ;) help greatly appreciated.

regards,
Vinit

tkin

Back to school!!

Ok guys, here's the infamaous GSOD(gray screen crash) on my HD5850 when running Crysis warhead maxed out, this it what it looks like firsthand.
Recorded the video and showed to the distro, they didn't even get a chance to argue. Now I'll post this video throughout the forums all over the web, time for some payback :twisted:

[youtube]8ruR4HUWw_c[/youtube]

Crash around 35 sec and more later.

PS: I also have a video of crashing in furmark and kombustor, but crysis fail shows better.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

where is HD4850 is available @ 6.2k ?? What's the brand ??
:oops::oops:
ok!!
it's not 6.2k!
my bad!!:oops:
it is available for 6.5k,6.6k in Lynx-India!!:mrgreen:
*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?ukey=search&did=177&sort=Price&direction=ASC&searchstring=4850

Piyush

Lanaya

^^
upload them using imageshack website
u have to make an acoount there first

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

@tkin
first time i saw how GSOD looks live in action
now i know why its called so

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

I was watching the GSOD video by TKIN, and had stepped away. Sound was on. When the loud irritant sound came on, I thought my system had crashed, turned around in panic. Relieved to see it was Tkin's youtube. Thank god. Freaky. Almost spilled tea on my self. Heck.

tkin

Back to school!!

Tkin:
Which all drivers and methods you had tried..?
Ok, here's what I've done;

1.Catalyst 10.5(fresh install after driver sweeper).
2.Swiped and reinstalled catalyst 10.5
3.Reinstalled 9800GTX+ and tried benchmarks and such.
4.Swiped and installed cat 10.7(was avoiding it due to borderlands memory leak).

Crashes kept increasing and bam, crashed with crysis(which it never did until then).

Gave it for RMA, from now on no more power virus for me, I'll just run furmark 1280x1024, no msaa, postfx and xtreme burning mode turned off to test the stability.

PS: What do use to test the stability of your graphics card? For the 9800GTX+ I use furmark maxed out, but it may be overkill for my HD5850. Running crysis may help but its not always feasible.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

ok that was GSOD....................
Yes, the infamous GSOD, live, curtsy XFX HD5850 :evil:

tkin

Back to school!!

I was watching the GSOD video by TKIN, and had stepped away. Sound was on. When the loud irritant sound came on, I thought my system had crashed, turned around in panic. Relieved to see it was Tkin's youtube. Thank god. Freaky. Almost spilled tea on my self. Heck.
Now feel how I felt :twisted:, when it had actually CRASHED, I wish I was also watching a video :cry:

Top Bottom